CDS approval extension? - YES!

On the 4th September, that publication saidā€¦

ā€œWe have come to understand that the deadline for all UK Nationals permanently residing in France to physically have a Residency Permit (Carte de Sejour) will be postponed from 1 October 2021 to 1 January 2022.ā€

I wonder why this information doesnā€™t appear anywhere elseā€¦ ??? at least, nowhere that I can seeā€¦

Using my amazing powersā€¦ :roll_eyes:ā€¦ and having friends with Facebook, Iā€™ve found this reply from the British Embassy Paris (dated 2 days ago)

so the Embassy doesnā€™t have News (yet) about any extension to the 1st October limit which is causing such distress to so many folk.

Exactly the same as the application deadline! The deadline of 30th June for submitting your application was not changed, and never has been officially, but the portal remains open for late applications (until next Friday!). The French are extremely good at finding ways to manage ā€œrulesā€.

So I doubt the date by which we must have a CdS will be changed, but the authority for officialdom to be able to ask for them will slide gently to the end of the year.

Apart from the people who need them for a job, or a contract, is it critical?

1 Like

This is a tough time all round as it is (covid) ā€¦ and folk being left dangling about CdS ā€¦ it adds to the stress levels.

To all those who havenā€™t even heard about an Interviewā€¦ it must be an awful worryā€¦ and I sincerely hope that this quagmire is sorted out soon.

I hope the date does ā€œslide gently to the end of the yearā€ or (better still) to whenever the Prefectures actually finish processing and printingā€¦ and deliveringā€¦

Sorry itā€™s taken so long to get back in the conversation. Saturday night got in the way. Thanks for all the re assurance about the extension etc. We live in 55 . When I went for my interview they said they only had 32 English applications.

It was a private one, HĆ“pital privĆ© la ChĆ¢taigneraie. Iā€™ll check my documents later for immigrant :rofl:

So those 32 are probably at the bottom of the list at the card manufacturersā€¦.

@david_gillies If your friend hasnā€™t even had an interview and there were so few applications in your Departement, I would seriously recommend that he/she tries to talk to the Prefectureā€¦

ā€¦ that they know about?
Have they looked in their spam?

I feel it would be unwise to go to UK to bring back my van and also to drive to Spain to get my bits out of storage and also x2 go to Spain for final dental procedures pending [tho that has been booked for return on 1st Dec - surely by thenā€¦?] without my CdS. I had my RV at the prefecture on 06 Sept and as told ā€œā€¦about a monthā€.

I have seen anecdotes of people coming back into France finding that their ā€˜receiptsā€™ for CdS application do not cut it with FR border controls and have been given a hard time.

Good shout, Tory. As of 12/11 I could show them the deeds of my house!

I always recommend people taking other ā€˜proofā€™ - EDF bill etc.

Re the extension, it is supposed to be happening but no official confirmation yet. have heard it will probably be the 30th (as happened on 30 June!).

2 Likes

Sorry it has taken so long to rejoin the chat, Saturday night got in the way. Thanks to everyone for responding. Seems I have no confirmed good news to give him. My OH uses the LIFT forum. A lady on there has just told of how she was turned back by English Border Control in France because they would not accept the Attestation that she had for the CDS but more foolishly she did not realise her Passport was out of date and she could not prove her identity or residency.

Well!! i donā€™t think you can blame that on the CdS!.

If you have a valid passport and a credit card to show resources surely the worst that will happen is that you will have your passport stamped? As far as I know France has not closed its borders to British people as tourists so will not stop you entering as a visitor. If you have an EDF bill with you then perhaps can argue not to get passport stamped, but not sure itā€™s the end of the world if it is stampedā€¦

Really! What strip-searched and pinned agains the wall? Forced to sit in an interrogation room for 12 hours? I think ā€œa hard timeā€ is perhaps a slight exaggeration! A few questions from a slightly grumpy official maybeā€¦

Meuse is not exactly a popular haven for UK immigrants :joy::joy:

I read one incident of arrest or threat of arrest.

For what?
Surely you canā€™t get arrested for not having a specific piece of paper.
However you might get arrested for swearing at the person who asked for the piece of paper that you didnā€™t have.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no need. There are plenty of naturist beaches here in France :rofl:

8 Likes

Well, yes you can if lack of that specific paper means that you are trying to enter France (or the UK) illegally.

Anecdotally UK border guards still seem to be making arbitrary decisions, are not always up to date with the rules and as often as not choose an interpretation of facts which suggests someone is wilfully breaking the law over the interpretation that they made an honest mistake (or, just possibly, are correct in what they are saying)

And the French, too for the reasons Billy gives.