Certificate of Conformity problem

Tim Clayton
Where was the vehicle actually built ?? maybe it was outside the EU…

Almost certainly in the Ford plant in Turkey. I hadn’t thought of that Stella.

2 Likes

Jaguar Land Rover France for a 2006 UK land rover discovery . As instructed by the prefecture, thought the V5 had everything, but was missing 2 letters for the type. 220 euros, but it was on very nice paper!!!

2 Likes

Thats what is frustrating me David, in this day and age everything is there at the touch of a button then it comes out of a printer so why is it so damn expensive. I appreciate there has to be a cost for someones time but €350 is a bit steep, Plus the fact that for the car ive brought over VW have issued it without any charge. I mentioned this to Merc and they said there is a lot more work involved in issuing one for a commercial vehicle than a car.

Dave… have you checked where your Van was actually built… those built outside EU can cause some problems when chasing a CoC…

just a thought…:thinking:

(A friend’s Toyota, turned out be built outside the EU…and they had to go through all sorts of hoops to get it done… took months and was quite expensive as I recall.
another vehicle… a Mazda… never did get sorted and the poor lady had to take it back to UK to sell it.)

not entirely sure Stella but having googled it the sprinter is built in Germany but not sure if they are built anywhere else other than some are built in the USA under the Dodge badge. i have emailed both Merc UK and France and raised my concerns about the cost compared to other manufacturers but no reply, when i was emailing them saying i wanted a CoC they were replying straightaway.

Hi Tim. I am interested to read this post as I am currently going through the process myself for a 2011 Transit! Did you have to physically send the form and the cheque and how long did it take for the paper work to come through? Bit gutted that we should have to pay 170 euro for possibly one of the most common vans in europe! Thanks for any advice :slight_smile:

Hi Charlie, youre gutted having to pay 170, can you imagine how i feel at having to pay 350, Its a rip off mate isnt it.

The plot thickens folks, i contacted Mercedes customer complaints about this issue and this is the response i have had, If this is true can anyone advise if it is possible to register in France without a CoC.
I am sorry that you have not been able to get a CoC document for your Sprinter, as far as I know Mercedes-Benz have never produced a CoC document for Sprinter models before a build date of 2012, as you will already know your vehicle is a 2010 build so there was never a CoC document issued for this age of Sprinter, I do not know how someone can produce an official factory issued document when there has never been one issued.

Mmm… this makes me wonder, yet again, in which country your vehicle was built…:thinking:

which generation of Sprinter is yours ???.. (some were built in Argentina etc)

Hi Charlie. Below is what I have learned:

I ordered my van from the factory (I had some non-standard spec. requirements) in March 2011 and collected it from the dealer in June 2011. I applied first to Ford UK for the CoC but was rather miffed to hear that it was actually built (the base vehicle, I suppose) before their cut-off date of Sep 2010. At least they returned my £80!
So I suppose Ford France, and goodbye to 170 euros, is the only option. I know people say line K in the UK logbook should be accepted by the Prefecture, but it just isn’t accepted by the Controle Technique computers. All the data supplied by Ford Fr works properly; it’s a full (not partial) attestation and it is quite useful for filling in the Carte Grise application as well.
Be aware that Prefectures for registration application are not as widespread as Google might have you think: it gave me the Morlaix sous-prefecture but when I went to the tax office (for the Quitus Fiscal) they said it was now only Brest or Quimper for the whole of Finistere. However there are agencies that do it all for you, for a fee. We’re going to try CartaPlat if we can persuade them to open at their advertised times. Feux Vert does it but apparently not for foreign sourced vehicles.

Forgot to say that I simply sent the form and cheque to Ford and the attestation came back in about 2 weeks.

I meant CartaPlac: http://www.cartaplac.com/

Not sure where it was manufactured, it doesnt tell you on the log book

Hi Dave… what’s the full vehicle description on the V5 … model etc etc… any info you can see…

and I’m wondering what document MB France were offering you ???

I sent the email i received from Mercedes Uk to the contact in France i have been dealing with and just had this reply.
Good morning,
If You want to register a van in France you have to prove that your vehicle is conformed to the french law.
We only can produce such a document.
This Is not a COC as it is mentioned below.
If You want This document you have to sens us a complete formular.
Kind regards

Can anyone cast any light on this, i thought from reading up on impoting and registering a vehicle in France i needed the CoC, now Merc France are stating i dont need a CoC but need to complete the forms they have sent me and send them the €350 to get the certificate that isnt a CoC

Hi Dave… sound a bit like a document that will enable you to register in France via the DRIRE (or whatever it is called nowadays). Do you have the Form they are looking for you to complete… if so, what form is it ??

We will get there… maybe not today… maybe not tomorrow… but sooon (hopefully)

Hi Tim, sounds like you have had a frustrating time. I have sent off the cheque and form etc and await the appropriate paperwork. Are you all sorted and correctly registered in france now? Or is there more hoops to go through?

Hi Charlie. We are all sorted - have got the metriculation document after visiting the prefecture in Quimper, where they were very efficient. Just getting insurance and will put on the new number plates. Yippee!

Merc UK have reiterated that there is no CoC for my van and have emailed me something called an IVA Statement of compliance. On it it states the van was manufactured in Stuttgart Germany.