Cheaper petrol

What is Go+?

Posh diesel!

1 Like

Ahh Gaz Oil +

1 Like

Interactive map of fuel prices in France (plein-moins-cher.fr)

Garages on this site update their prices regularly. If they have not for, I think, three weeks they disappear. Not all stations are on it however and in my experience small local garages are often much cheaper than supermarkets. I don’t know why but c’est ca!

Just filled up at a Total garage and managed to get just over 1.5€ which I thought was pretty astounding versus the other prices locally. A friend directed me to an app called fuelFR and it’s great - you home into an area and you see all the available fuel prices - so very easy to use!

Trying to be more environmentally friendly, and thinking about all the relatively short journeys I do in the car, I thought, maybe I could do those on the electric bike e.g. food shopping, other errands for relatively small items. I just did a test ride to the two nearest supermarkets, both about 6 miles from me, but totally opposite directions, so I’m almost slap bang in the middle of them :grinning: Anyway, a bit uphill down dale, and tried to take more back routes versus main roads, but did each trip in approx 30 mins. So just ordered a back rack and panniers for the bike, and hopefully they’ll be arriving over the next week, then it’ll be a whole new experience :grinning: It’ll certainly focus the mind to make sure I don’t overlook anything on the shopping list :+1: It’ll also be interesting over the Winter, but will try to avoid getting out there in the rain!

3 Likes

My wife’s been filling up at Total, as she has a long commute to work and there’s a station close to the office. As she’s always kept an eye on the consumption and how many km’s before the bars start to drop, she’s noticed over these past few weeks, that the fuel consumption is going down a lot more quickly.

I’m sure the quality of the fuel would have to be the same, but maybe as the station is always empty or close to empty, the dregs from the bottom of the storage tanks are more polluted and have more accumulated water making the fuel more diluted and thus less efficient? Anyone else notice less fuel efficiency from Total?

OK until its raining :smiley:

Fortunately………or unfortunately, we don’t get alot of rain here, so think I’ll be ok hitting ‘dry’ days :wink: If I do happen to get caught out, the panniers are 100% waterproof high quality German, and I have waterproofs. That old saying comes to mind, ‘there’s no such thing as bad weather………………’ :grin:

I’ve never heard that saying

Does she fill up in the morning or after work? For some reason you are supposed to get more fuel in the morning.

‘No such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing’ :grin:

1 Like

I have never heard that ,I must try to get that in a conversation somewhere😃

2 Likes

Usually lunch time or after work. I’m not sure what time they refill the tanks, but sometimes they’re out of fuel the whole day… Was just a little concerned if the tanks are always close to empty and cars are filling up with the dregs from the bottom of the storage tank, that it’s not worth the savings… She spoke to her colleagues about it, as they fuel there too, and they seem to be in agreement.

Seems the Total workforce would like a payrise, from the enormous profits…

Sud-Ouest got themselves in a pickle… saying February instead of September :rofl: :rofl:

At he moment a baril of brent crude is 84,71$ so any price reduction is not harming their profits, talk about price gouging

How powerful is your bike (it’s measured in Nm of the motor), and how steep are the hills?

The motor’s 250W and 75Nm. I got it specifically for mountain biking as I do alot of off road and I needed it to get up very rocky steep terrain in my region. For perspective, in the UK I had a normal mountain bike i.e not electric and I could get up pretty much all offroad inclines - here it’s a totally different proposition, so I went electric, but generally use it in the low ‘eco’ setting and a)it gives me that little extra to tackle the more difficult terrain and b)it allows me to be out far longer with the same amount of energy exerted. So the recent idea to also start using it instead of the car for local journeys wasn’t the original idea, but it also helps with more opportunity to be active :grin: can’t wait for the rack and panniers to arrive :partying_face::partying_face:

2 Likes

Wow. Big torque. I’ve been looking at cargo bikes, I think 60-70Nm was the highest I 've seen, and that would be with a Bosch 500W motor.

I got it in 2017 but it’s still going very strong, and really is a go anywhere bike - this is it

I did also take a look at other bikes when I got the idea, including cargo bikes, but thought I’d see how I get on with adding a rack and panniers onto my existing bike first - I’ve ordered a very robust rack by a company called old man mountain and ortlieb panniers, so hopefully a robust set up!

1 Like

Tanked up with diesel at totale garage near Calais €1.61.
Arrived in England this morning and driven 250 miles up country with average diesel price £1.79, Result.
A very nice UK customs officer checked our passports and remarked, bet you are pleased you live in France after this week!
Arrived at our daughter’s and tuned in to the news Bloody Hell!!!
Truss should be tried for treason.