Chimney through baby's bedroom

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: sorry to see you go

@David_Naylor your negativity is not welcome on SF. You are banned.

2 Likes

Well I’m a bit late to the party, but if you haven’t gone yet, please don’t go! X

2 Likes

Very humbled, tears of gratitude, thank you all

2 Likes

Not at all and I am truly sorry that you had such an unpleasant SF experience. Really hope that you can get this sorted asap for your own peace of mind. Keeps us posted and give your baby a cuddle from us C&J xx

3 Likes

so glad your still here. If you have any problem in the future do contact @james an the SF team, like @Stella who will deal with trolls swiftly and effectively.

Life can’t be easy with a new baby in the house. What with the weather as well and your worries about where on earth that smokey smell is coming from and how to fix it .

Please don’t let a few unkind remarks chase you away from here. There is always help and advice to be had and most people are ready to help all they can.

Take a deep breath, look at your gorgeous baby and think how lucky you are and how sad life must be for others who have to keep on being nasty.

Sleep on your decision and please think again. Hope to see that you are still with us.

All the best to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, thank you - the last thing I needed was unnecessary unpleasantness right now. Its not an easy time to be totally isolated! And as you say, the weather doesn’t help - can barely get out for a walk and staring at the 4 walls whilst the baby screams gets to you after a couple of months. I’m not used to being very sedentary!!

We have had so many bad experiences with tradesmen here over the years (no matter how they have been sourced or recommended) that I’d rather start on the right path rather than go round the houses first (and maybe still end up being conned or dissatisfied). Our ‘new’ boiler that has never functioned since it was professionally installed over 4 years ago was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I just feel like I’m turning in circles trying to get things sorted here and if SFNers can provide valuable advice for shortcuts to the right result, I’d rather that!

Best,

4 Likes

Just a thought, if it’s just the occasional smell of smoke with nothing else obvious, could it be weather related? - maybe the wind blowing smoke back through a window, under the eaves etc. A little bit of smoke and the smell can hang around for ages.
Totally agree that you can’t be too careful though.

3 Likes

Old chimneys sometimes have wooden structural elements poked into them e.g. floor joists - I kid you not! Could a new liner have been placed close to such a thing, or have slumped down to do so? If so the smell could be charring timber.
Whatever it is you must take the evasive action already mentioned & get a proper pro to look at it.

Well the good news is that the CO detector placed in the bedroom has consistently shown zero over the last 2 days (and no repeat of the smell for the moment). Found a closer poele/insert supplier but they’re not too interested in coming out to look for the moment… Especially since the space between the liner and the chimney is going to be impossible to inspect without total dismantlement of the insert and its surround and a camera on a pole. Will just keep monitoring the CO and ensure smoke alarms have all got new batteries for the moment

2 Likes

How well sealed-off… is the fireplace in the bedroom ??

We used to get a smokey atmosphere sometimes in winter (depending on weather conditions) and sometimes frelons in summer…all coming down the neighbour’s shared chimney. We don’t use that chimney… so completely sealed it off in the bedroom (did a really thorough job) and all is well.

Perhaps this is something that could easily be checked…in your case… :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Stella, there is no fireplace in the bedroom - it is just the chimney stack going through on its way up to the roof

1 Like

Oh… strike that then…

Intermittent faults are notoriously difficult to solve… but we’ll keep trying…

Another thought…is just how high is the chimney’s final point above the roof line ?? and is it anywhere near a window.??

If by any chance the chimney is too low, that could cause smoke to be entering the house rather than blowing away, in certain weather conditions. (so I have heard)

Chances are it will be an easy-fix… just need to identify what’s going on.

1 Like

Hi Danielle,
Try this site - its called Penny Pinchers in France - type it into google and there are areas that maybe near you. There doesn`t appear to be a group on there that set out to upset others who post. I like you have been on the receiving end of comments on here so have stopped posting for that reason but felt you needed to know that you are not the only one who has been shot down in flames for posting a view.
Take care and hope it all works out for you.

2 Likes