Chocolate marquise recipe

Why is it called ‘marquise’?
I’d always understood this to refer to the glass and metal awnings over so many French doorways.

No idea Geof
Perhaps the queens of all things sweet @Jane_Williamson and @vero have a view?

No idea but that looks like a trad English recipe for biscuit cake aka tiffin squares to me, tarted up with a French pseudonym, since a marquise au chocolat which is a real French dessert doesn’t have those bits in as you can see from this

4 Likes

God save us things have names, words mean something and now I am incensed (ok just slightly irritated) lazy lazy writer of that post - see the delicious things below, what do they have in common we may ask they aren’t marquise au chocolat, that’s what.

And

And

3 Likes

not with me I hope for tagging you :wink:

1 Like

@Graham_Lees
Of course not, I was flattered to be deemed a worthy cake pundit :grin: it does irritate me though, the laziness, so bad to trot out a recipe for I don’t know, bog-standard mince and tatties and call it hachis parmentier, well it isn’t the same thing even if there are ingredients in common. Misleading nonsense. Grrrrrrrrrr and so pointless because why would anyone do that, a marquise is a marquise and biscuit cake is biscuit cake and they are both delicious so why faff about. Urrrgh.
I’ve written to them, they won’t post my comment so here it is below:

2 Likes

They are known in our house as ICB’s, icky choccie biccies.
The best ones are made by a friend on Exmoor and always taken to point to points.

1 Like

where else would they point? :slightly_smiling_face:
(there’s no “I’ll get my coat” emoji, sadly) :wink:

I gave up on taste of france recipes, and quite a few others, as often wrong. Or not proof read/tested properly.

Often such recipes are a useful guide though for the more creative to base their own ideas on and inspire, so still have their uses imo.
Besides, it’s a bit of fun creating disasters

I don’t think you were tagged as a cake pundit VĂ©ronique - more as an expert on recondite French vocabulary like ‘marquise’.

1 Like

but Geof, she does like proper chocolate as witnessed in another thread :wink:

2 Likes

My OH would call most of my cooking fun :wink::yum::grin:

1 Like

Point to Points are races, usually organised by the local Hunt.
They are over fences, some built jumps and others natural obstacles and can be used to qualify for National Hunt racing.
They are the highlights of country folk during the winter.
Steeplechases originated as unofficial races between riders racing from one church steeple to another.

2 Likes

Thanks Jane.
In a former life I was an unaffiliated Jump Judge and my comment was mischievous but thanks for the heads up.
I used to enjoy watching The Hunt too parading through our local village until dark forces stopped this very useful countryside pastime.

I hope you went on the big Marches.
We went on the first one with the VWH, but I had just had surgery and couldn’t make the second one.
Which Hunt was yours?

A small local one in mid Essex Jane (where I was a Parish Councillor).

All hunts are local, that is why they were so successful.

1 Like

Of course Jane, but some were larger than others and thus attracted more of the “snivelling nutter townie” element hell bent on destroying the very fabric of the countryside.

1 Like