Christmas cheer

@tim17
Of course, they would only have had a smidgen of fois gras… just a taster… but I’m wondering how many Brit youngsters would have enjoyed the figs… :thinking: our grandson views them with great suspicion… :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

… and the brebis cheese… perhaps another “first” for them… :wink:

Yes can I have the stupid hat removed from my avatar as well please, I am struggling to find anything th celebrate this yea

I’m sure it won’t either, except that your taste buds are conditioned in childhood. With rising obesity it is prudent not to accustom children to such high fat meals.

One a year is hardly going to accustom them

2 Likes

Bah, humbug !!!

1 Like

Humbugs as well :scream_cat::flushed::scream: think of the sugar content in them man :yum::grin:

1 Like

I have sympathy Jane with your viewpoint (especially about foie gras, the way it is produced and the size of the resulting duck breasts etc) but it is sugar - not fat - which is the real bogyman here. Much more important to be concerned about the sugar and chocolate filled breakfast cereals that they are eating day in day out, not to mention the fizzy drinks laden with sugar and the sweet bread / cakes /biscuits that their parents are putting in their shopping trolleys every day.
When we came here 13 years ago a fat family wandering round Leclerc would be speaking English. Nowadays they are as likely to be French. How is that change possible in just a decade! :astonished:

4 Likes

Agree…
I find it remarkable the some of the grandchildren who have never had sugary drinks, snack, squashes etc now actually don’t really like food that is too sweet. They will choose a carrot stick over a candy bar. So it is possible to start children off in a good direction. Long may it last.

Sadly too many people are stuck in the past.

When I was at junior school in the UK, I was forced to eat dessert - I absolutely hate anything sweet and haven’t eaten sugar since I was thirteen. They served me prunes one day with custard floating on the sweet syrup. I threw up all over the dining table in the school dining room and then arrived the following day with a letter from my parents to avoid any further embarrassment! I think you’re right Jane when you say children can’t make their own decisions re what they eat but I also think when you get to a certain age, you make up your own mind what you will eat (meat, sugar…whatever)

Everyday school meals in my lycée are excellent and if they have a blowout for the repas de Noël that’s a choice, it happens once a year, nobody is forced to go. It is our culture.
Eat a bit of everything but don’t eat trashy industrially produced food-alike, don’t eat between your 4 small daily meals. Get off your bottom. It isn’t complicated.

7 Likes

Anyone that ‘hates’ Christmas and is going to be all ‘bah humbug’ about some flipping avatars, should mute this thread and retire to their potting shed please. It was started to cheer us all up so if you are going to complain, please take yourself elsewhere :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve said my piece, and am taking my celery sticks and glass of water off to another thread where I can quietly clean my gold stars. (And wait for friends to arrive with home made high fat French xmas pudding from Bethune).

A serious hobby in the garden shed
Model trains, or soldiers in lead
Join the suburban boffins of Britain
Experts on trivial things…
A solitary life
A life of small horizons
Dull as the pewter sky over North West Eleven

1 Like

5 Likes

WoW :open_mouth:Catharine, I was going to say something similair :joy::joy::joy:
Maybe the people who really don’t want a
Christmas Cheer post
Could do another post , could be named
Let’s hate Christmas post :santa::santa::santa:
Never mind, we have had a beautiful Christmas Carol, some funny jokes too, all is not lost :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Merry Christmas to you all
Stay safe :kissing_heart:
Enjoy the family time if possible :blush:

1 Like

I am really going to miss my Xmas pud this year (normally imported by my mum) - buche is just not the same!

Only time of the year we have Birds Trifle, it arrives tomorrow thankfully so that’s me sorted :hugs:

1 Like

9 Likes

Now this is a totally delightful time-waster…create your own blob opera. Doesn’t matter if you don’t like opera it’s still delightful!

Contact geoffreys in Antibes
They may help you for the Christmas puddings
I shop there every year
My kids really don’t like Christmas pudding
They deliver really quickly
Xx

1 Like