Christmas Trees and Festive Information

I know. I spent over half my life living in Germany and know the Käthe Wohlfahrt shops well.

My point was that if you’re in Alsace Christmas shopping Germany is only a stone’s throw away.

Christmas decorations in September… :open_mouth::zipper_mouth_face: Whatever is Action Market up to… we haven’t finished Summer yet… :wink::relaxed::roll_eyes:

Frankly, my family would guillotine me (or at least threaten same) if I started Christmas decs this early… (in thought or deed) :laughing::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am allowed to start on the research needed for our annual Carol-Singing extravaganza… but definitely NO decorations before 1st December…

Our tradition is to decorate on Thanksgiving evening!

1 Like

Ah yes, Thanksgiving. If you want to get a turkey you are going to really struggle in November. They are readily available in December but not for Thanksgiving. You may need to speak to a local butcher to source one or find out from other Americans what they do.

2 Likes

Thanksgiving… 22 November ?? … sounds a great tradition.

In UK it is/was tradition to take down all decs etc by 12th Night… January 5th/6th…

Here in our Commune… everything stays in place (trees/decorations/lights/ creche) until after the Old Folks’ Party in mid to lateJanuary… That is the local tradition… it seemed strange at first, but part of normal life now…

1 Like

This thread is soooooo wrong!!! I can’t cope :fearful::fearful::fearful::fearful::fearful:

3 Likes

Mark… a glass of mulled wine and you might feel better… :laughing:

1 Like

It’s still bloody September…:joy:
Cold beer is better​:beer::beer:

2 Likes

I bought an Xmas pudding at the weekend! (I was the first person this year to ask in Tesco if they were in stock!)

1 Like

We had our work Christmas parties arrranged in May!

1 Like

In my village… “le goût de Noël” … is always well received…

I get asked to make mincemeat slice … throughout the year…

but I only make proper mincepies at Christmas…

1 Like

It is an area of northern Burgundy.

I reminded my hubby again but if we cant…there is,always ham!:meat_on_bone:

1 Like

Whiskey??

My 13 yr old was born on ThanksGiving Day…she was my 9lb Butterball Turkey!

2 Likes

Hooray! we were told the French dont sell Xmas trees. That was one thing we thought we’d miss - that lovely piney fragrance and the joy of decorating it. France just gets better - we love Christmas but not until December. Sorry to those folk who dislike even the mention of the C… word

1 Like

Im so excited they have started selling christmas stuff even before California!!! :evergreen_tree::snowman_with_snow:

1 Like

You’ll find real Xms trees for sale in garden centres as well.

We bought our first tree with roots on… only small, but it lasted 7 years (in a large pot and with careful topping) and we finally gave it to a friend to plant in his garden… where it still is going strong… :relaxed:

As you say, the smell of those pine needles… mmm… wonderful

1 Like

As SFN is a democracy, would it be okay to start an anti-Christmas thread for those of us that wish it didn’t exist? We had our first Christmas Day lunch invitation this week, what the hell is wrong with people, it’s only effing September, how the fook am I supposed to know now what I’m doing on a particular day in December?

2 Likes

Once you have sourced your Christmas tree, then here’s another thing to do with it . Eat it…

1 Like