Clarification on Taxe d'Habitation

Hello - I am hoping the more experienced can clarify a few things for me. We received a Demande de Renseignements regarding taxe d’hab 2021 for our house in France. In researching, it seems that the taxe d’hab is being eliminated for residents in France but not for 2nd home owners, is that correct?

Since this is a “maison secondaire”, when they ask if we are “occupying personally the location” they don’t mean whether or not we are there (which of course we can’t be due to the pandemic) they just mean we own it and no one else is occupying it/renting it? The other two options are it is vacant (which I guess means abandoned) or it is sold to someone else which do not apply.

We are not residents in France and do not earn any income in France (from the property or otherwise). Does this affect how the taxe d’hab is calculated? Or is it based on something else (local rules/# of rooms/square meters etc.)?

I am hoping they will continue to send correspondence to our address in the U.S. - still unknown as to when we might be able to return. Does anyone know when taxe d’hab is normally due? Can it be paid with a wire transfer or credit card, since we can’t be there in person?

Thank you for any information you can share.

1 Like

Taxe d’habitation is due towards the end of the year - November typically for 2nd home owners, it can be paid online but you will need a French bank account. I posted some detailed notes on how to use the on-line site at gouv.fr a couple of years ago if you search the forum. I would imagine “occupying personally the location” is asking whether you rent it but others on the forum might have a better idea if they have seen the paperwork themselves.

1 Like

Taxe d’hab is paid by the people who have use of the house on 1st January each year. So if you rent it then they will ask for the name of the renters and send the bill to them.

There is no reduction for second home owners, and no reduction for not being there. The amount is based on a putative “rental value” of the property, so no relation to your income in France.

And yes you can pay online by bank transfer, or by french cheque if you have french bank account.

I don’t recall ever being asked. The first year was obviously covered by the Notaire, the second year we had to chase a little (though some of that was my not realising the ones for maisons secondaires go out a bit later than for residents) and after that I set up a prélèvement and since then all I’ve had to do is make sure there’s enough in the account and vaguely check the bill to ensure no surprises.

Thank you, Paul and Jane. Hopefully we’ll be allowed to return to France sometime this year and we can visit the local tax office and make sure everything is as it should be before the bill is released around November. As for checks, while we have had a French bank account for some time, they have refused to give us any in spite of many requests and a forest of forms. I suspect it is because French banks dislike dealing with Americans because of FATCA. So bank transfer it is.

Thanks again for all the info.

I need some clarification about Taxe d’Habitation 2021 please…

I’ve just opened up my account on impots.gouv.fr and find that I pay no Taxe d’Habitation on my house, which is welcome, but have to pay 113euros, before mid December, on my old workshop full of junk, and which has no water or electricity.

Has something gone wrong here? Don’t understand!

We pay no TdH or TV licence on two of our properties on site, but we do pay for an old garage/store.

Do you have a TV?

Yes and declared as such but we have not paid the TV tax for four years.

Just wondering… how do you Declare that you have a TV ???

My taxe d’habitation has dropped from 300 and something when I first arrived over 5 years ago to €138 this year which is purely the tv licence….

As I bought my tv here in my first year I have always ticked the box that asks if I have a TV….

I rarely switch it on and when I do it’s mostly to watch Netflix which I’m also slowly becoming disillusioned about….

I wonder why not…if people don’t pay taxe d’hab the TV tax can be sent separately.

Originally… on the Declaration of WWide Income which Residents make every year… there was a box which asked " do you have a TV" and if the answer was YES, one “ticked that box”…

However, for a few years now… the French Government has taken it as read… that everyone has a TV…

S0 … things have changed… one is no longer asked if one does have a TV…

Instead, it’s the other way round… a tick in the box means NO, we Don’t have a TV.

I have been told, that this has confused many folk, who have continued to “tick the box” not realizing that they will no longer be charged for their TV… although they should be…

But, if someone has ticked the box in error, the Tax folk are very understanding… and the situation is easily corrected.

I have an accountant now, not because I have complicated tax issues, but because I have a sort of dyslexia when it come to money matters. Just not interested. Prefer someone else who knows what to do to sort these things out for me.

He tells me that I do not now pay tax/hab on my house but do have to pay it for an old rundown ancient old workshop. I thought a building had to be habitable to pay tax/hab.

Still puzzled.

why not have a quiet chat at your Mairie… it won’t cost anything and they might be able to explain the annomaly … or, indeed, help get the situation corrected if you’re being charged in error…

Thank you Stella. I used to go annually over many years, to the local tax office, when everything was done on paper, to clarify any issues about Income Tax before submitting a declaration, so shall mosey on down there and have a chat about tax/hab…

What a nuisance!

Nah… think of it as an “outing”… that’s exciting these days, surely… :+1:

I tend to chat at my Mairie, as that is just down the road… and they are such nice folk.

I have no problem with the folk down at the tax office Stella - it’s just that I find tax/money matters so boringly tedious…

1 Like

Well, asking a simple question need not be boring or tedious, if used as an opportunity to improve one’s inter-personal and linguistic skills… :wink:

I find pleasure in seeing a somewhat grim face… crack into a smile… :+1:

Yesterday I found a messagerie service on impot.gouv.fr with all my details there, and a box to write in my question, so I wait to see what reply I get.

Failing that I will greet the folk down at the tax office with a smile, if I can. I have always felt threat, or fear, when I have to deal with officialdom! But I shall get through it.

Have had my fair share of having to thump the table, living in France.