Clover Lawn

Wondered whether anyone has or is considering a clover or clover/grass lawn?

…and could recommend a seed supplier.

Heavens! I’ve never had to buy seed, it just does its own thing :grin: . And at the moment with no grass at all due to the drought I only have weeds with clover among them . :grin:

3 Likes

Would the seed supplier be you by any chance, Nigel? :smiley:

More helpfully than my above comment - may I suggest, one way you can help what clover you already have in your lawn to thrive is to keep your mower on a high cut. In fact during the height of the flowering season when our clover is full of bloom and bees I quite often mow round the clover clumps and leave then to flourish.

4 Likes

bought a box of white clover at GammVert and overseeded a very poor grassed area.
Most of our lawns are still crispy, even ghe clover. Best performing weed in the lawn - bindweed, followed by yarrow. Both still green, even got some flowers off the bindweed.
Clover seems to recover faster, dandelions not far behind…
Moving if at all on 4-5 setting of 7 on ride on…

No - not me!
I was hoping for recommendations!

Look under green manure in the seed catalogues - it’s the main use of clover. But gamme vert do it both pink and white clover.

Ah! Misinterpreted you there, sorry!

Aren’t the green manure varieties the taller growing clovers, and for a “lawn” the ideal is a low growing one?

We have the most beautiful red clover that keeps trying to establish itself, but it is a huge thug. So we leave one or two in spots were they can be thuggish without bothering us. The rest get mown and seem to die.

We had considered swapping to clover, but reseeding a big area is quite a bit of work. So we have taken the lazy approach and as long as it’s green that will do! Our dandelion lawn is lovely…

4 Likes

And nutritional and decorative in salads, like nettles a free fresh veg that many over look.

1 Like

Clover is lovely, but I’m looking for all sorts of other really low, spreading, evergreen plants/weeds as well … which will flower during the year (for bees etc) and not need mowing or watering/feeding…
It’s not that I’m lazy, it’s just that the soil is naff and water in short supply.

1 Like

How about a thyme lawn - the really low growing thymes (serpyllum?) are lovely but a bit expensive if you are going to seed a huge area…

1 Like

Yep… Thyme will be one of many plants… it’s wonderful for the bees… also looking for wild mint (not the garden variety if possible)… but Clover will definitely have its place and in all 3 colours (I hope)

The thing about thymus serpyllum is that it’s really really flat so no mowing and it isn’t deciduous (like mint?). I had it in my (small) garden in the UK and it was a brilliant all-purpose plant, for wildlife and even for cooking…

1 Like

Our inherited (from former non gardening owners) lawn has a mighty mixture of ‘weeds’.
As mentioned before, bindweed, yarrow, dandelions - but also aujuga reptans (bugle), violets, some red leaved yellow flowering clover, and a blue flowering creeper which I have not yet identified. I planted a few crocus bulbs and had a lovely surprise in spring. A quite large patch of primroses made a spectaclular appearance. OH is not impressed and wants his Scottish fairway lawn. Inpossible to achieve in France - I will not even try.

1 Like

We were excited to have wild orchids this year and the neighbours were happy for us to let the patch run wild… but I think we can make some improvements. Bugle is lovely and it’s reminded me of Borage another lovely blue… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is what grows wild all over the place chez moi on the Côte d’Azur and it survives practically anything. Such a nice plant :heart:

4 Likes

The patch of greenery (lawn would be a stretch too far) in front of the house died over the summer and has just sprung back into life with masses of clover, so I guess we’re like you, no need for seed !

To be fair, the lower end of the garden always has clover mixed in with a load of other stuff, grasses, thyme (tons of it, literally), and some wild fennel/carrot/yarrow-type plants that re-seed every year, so perhaps the upper clover came from the lower’s seed spread.

4 Likes

sounds like a lovely mixture

Even being driven over twice a day, like the patch we have at the bottom of drive in front of the barriers :rofl:

1 Like