"Comfort Films"

When I think about those films that come around from time to time on TV that I will watch over and again, three of them elicit a range of thoughts and emotions.

Uncle Buck, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tyzALgws7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_sAEfB9aTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4_RpN8lR78

And a fourth which I find fascinating – might get the DVD if one exists – Sin City. Cult film with gratuitous violence.

1 Like

Oh my goodness you obviously haven’t seen the amazing series he did with Nicole Kidman, SO dark! I’ll try to find the name!

The Undoing, really good!!!

2 Likes

My comfort films are the cheesy ones from my teenage years. When Harry met Sally, Topgun (I used to be able to say all the script when watching!! :rofl: ), Dirty Dancing, Ghost, Mannequin ect!

We watched the new Top Gun last week, absolutely captured the same feeling, was really good! I forced myself not to think about what a rwat Tom Cruise has become :rofl:

5 Likes

I wasn’t able to watch it. Supporting a man who knowingly and enthusiastically takes advantage of what is slave labour despite being worth half a billion dollars is more than I can stomach, and that’s if you ignore that he has actively chosen to have nothing to do with his only genetic child, and poisoned the two adopted ones against their mother is just too much for me.

I did so want to watch every camp second of it though so I’m very sad :roll_eyes::joy:

1 Like

I carried a water melon
When I’m wrong I say I’m wrong
The young ones want to do europe in 3 days
My father wanted me to join the painters and decorators union.
You wanted me to join the peace core
You’re not the little girl I I knew anymore
And of course- nobody puts baby in the corner.

Definitely another on my list

1 Like

Except the end. I mean I liked most of it, but the scene with him and his son on the bridge was pretty awful and ruined the ending for me.

But I agree it’s certainly a side of Hugh Grant you don’t normally see :grin:

Exactly, very dark. Showed a depth to Hugh I think, as horrific as it was. I kept expecting him to return to type!

Thank you for pointing out the Undoing. I shall avoid! I know that it is a challenge an actor enjoys, playing against type but I prefer it not.

Sir Alec Guiness, Gregory Peck, Paul Newman…. Please don’t burst my bubble!!
:face_with_peeking_eye:

Casablanca… smiles.

As a quick note… the letters of transit that feature so much in the film and permit exit from German occupied Casablanca (Vichy France) have been signed, it is said, by “General de Gaulle and cannot be rescinded”.

Always makes me wince.

True Grit, methinks, Stella. For which he won his one and only Oscar.

" Fill your hand you sonofabitch!". Sigh.

The best ‘feel good’ film I know, and one of my favourites, is Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Very clever, so many laugh out loud moments and set in the beautiful South of France. Michael Caine and Steve Martin at their comedy best and a brilliant performance by a relatively unknown (to me anyway) Glenne Headly.
Simply a pleasure to watch.

4 Likes

yep… that’s great. We found that by googling Steve Martin films, after thoroughly enjoying Father of the Bride 1&2 which have us in fits of laughter…

Tea with Mussolini
My House in Umbria
The Van Lady
Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 1&2 (and we’ve got the dvd of the TV followon.)

2 Likes

Yes I think it should have been General Maxime Weygand or Admiral Darlan. But of course Hollywood is not noted for its historical accuracy when making movies…

e.g. that later movie “U-571” where the German naval Enigma cipher machine is captured from a U-Boat by the Americans in the person of Matthew McConaughey, instead of the British sailors from HMS Bulldog who in reality recovered an Enigma machine months before the US entered the war!

Series rather than films…
Barchester Chronicles
Larkrise to Candleford
Forever Green
Cranford

1 Like

A fun BBC 1 is ‘Jam and Jerusalem’ with French and Saunders et al.

There is a scene in the church cleaning, where the old dear accidentally vacuums up all the painstakingly made Christmas tweezle creche that makes me laugh until I cry.

Slightly OT but didn’t want to overload with a new topic.

John le Carre’s books, many of, are on Amazon UK today for £0.99p each. 1 day only

This includes his very last book Silverview, The Constant Gardener, a couple of his more autobiographical ones like Running in the Field, and some George Smileys.

Tagging @Jane_Williamson as ISTR she went for Silverview when it came up previously on its own.

I think John le Carre’s letters were recently published or about to be, Amazon often reduces previous titles of an author like this around new releases.

Have bought a few even though I probably already have 1 or 2 of them in hard copy.

1 Like

Wonderful film. Haven’t seen it in a long while.

Another wonderful film with the superb Terence Stamp. Only seen it once, but was recommending it to my sister in law only last week. Another must see again.

3 Likes

The Lady Vanishes, Stranger on a Train, Rear Window, Sideways, The French Connection, anything with Gene Hackman or Clint Eastwood.
TV. Morse, Lewis, Colombo, Gavin and Stacey.
Weird why there are certain people we are unable to watch. No reason. Me. Nicole Kidman. OH. Stephen Mangan. It used to be Tom Hanks for me but I’m a convert.

1 Like