Complémentaire santé refusal for British with 10 year CdS?

I’ve been wandering through this thread, as I know folk French and “others” in various financial situations… so am trying to get a round picture.

As I see it… asking for Assistance (from the Asst Sociale for example) isn’t always about getting financial aid… it can have one pointed in the right direction to be independent too.
Also, there are govt schemes in place specifically to allow folk access to a Mutuelle so that they need not be worried/frightened to fall ill and/or need surgery etc.

Those who can afford to pay their open-market Mut, obviously do so… those who cannot afford to pay on the open market, they can be steered towards the Gov one which is there to be of use in times of difficulty.

If I’ve misunderstood, I’m sure folk will correct me… but I’m content that this basic understanding is fair enough.

so I say, yet again… speaking with the Assistant Sociale is a good step towards finding out what aid (of any sort) is available and/or which path to follow to reach one’s goal.

The French State provides all sorts of help for people on low income. In general people are not abandoned. This for example

You can also ask to be treated in a teaching hospital, which is I think free.

Reading various French news stories it does seem that the issue is a Sandcastle proposed much further up the thread (post 13, 12 days ago). Although worrying for those concerned the likelihood is that it will be resolved soon. And all emergency treatment is 100% covered as are serious illnesses such as cancer, so one hoped that it is rare that this will tip someone into financial meltdown. It surely can’t apply to that many people?

But if I were in this position I think I would be more concerned about more immediate things like food, and power as living on an income that is below the threshold that entitles one to CSS can’t be very comfortable at the moment.

This is the scheme that is causing the issue at the moment Stella! What is now known as CSS, used to be CMU.

1 Like

Yes, cheers for the clarification… changing names can be so confusing.

What I can’t find out is any detail about just who these “British” are (or at least in which Dept)… who have supposedly been refused… and did they appeal or didn’t they… and if not why not… and it says PUMA… so did they apply incorrectly… what a shambles.

I’m seriously wondering if this is a case of scare-mongering by the journalists etc.

I’ve just had a reply from Ameli (I knew that my posting here would trigger the cosmos!) They said my cover expires at the end of the month and they’ll let me know before then…

…so many ways to interpret that, from conspiracy theorist to c’est la vie. Me, I’ll read nothing into it and take them at their word.

Stella, I am sure it isn’t journalistic scare-mongering, and it certainly isn’t my intention. It is something that came up recently on a group I follow regarding health care in France, and I saw similar comments from others on another expat website.

I could screenshot and mail you the various threads if you are interested?

I’m not trying to cause alarm. I’m simply interested in knowing what the actual situation is. I’m sure that it will be resolved satisfactorily.

@SuKe I’m not suggesting you are scare-mongering… you are obviously as concerned as the rest of us…

I’m trying to locate some back-up/additional information about the “why” for this supposed refusal… so that we can consider if ( you/me/us) we are likely to find ourselves similarly refused if we apply.

Please, please, rest assured… you are not to blame for anything… you are telling us what you have noted/seen/read.

But, I think you will agree that, after the original blurb on whatever FB/Forum… there don’t seem to be many facts and/or explanations coming forward… which is very odd.

cheers

It may though be of concern to people who have a small income but are mainly living on savings. Food and power is covered but they need to eke the savings out and are afraid of them disappearing fast with mutuelle payments to make.

2 Likes

“It may though be of concern to people who have a small income but are mainly living on savings. Food and power is covered but they need to eke the savings out and are afraid of them disappearing fast with mutuelle payments to make.”

Exactly our position.

Here is a screenshot from the most recent case of somebody being refused CSS:

I have sent you an email with a screenshot of the latest person to have CSS refused. There are several others.

1 Like

the email is actually on this page… but no matter… we need to find out what the “new regulations in force” actually are.

'cos no matter how this appears… I simply do not think France will slam one door closed, without leaving another access…

1 Like

I didn’t think the link would bring up the image, which is why I sent you the email. :slight_smile:
You are right, I’m sure they will not leave anybody without medical care. For people who have applied and received the response above, you can understand how worried they must be.

They could consider a hospital only policy? That removes the risk of excessive bills, and is far, far cheaper than a comprehensive mutuelle. Could be an option certainly while this is sorted out. We are not exactly youthful, and have had a hospital only policy for last few years that has worked well (aka saving money) for us.

It certainly seems another example of a Department (s) making their own interpretation. Similar to the fuss last year over S1 expiry dates.
They also need to make sure they are using the benefits that do exist, like APA.

The regulations haven’t changed. But what seems to be happening is that the interpretation of the regulations is now excluding British people.

Seems that this CSS rejection will affect all/any foreigners now resident in France with S1 from their own “health-responsible” country.

I’m sure it can and will be sorted.

What I do know is that had I received such an email… I would have hot-footed it to my Mairie… asked them to phone their own contacts within CPAM… to try and find out what on earth is going on and why…
Plus, I would have officially contested the refusal, … (one has 2 months in which to contest, I think)… since this is refusal to continue what has already been granted…
some sort of explanation…

That’s what I am currently looking at, and getting €55 - €60pm prices, still a bit rich tbh, I think I’d go without. I’d be interested if the Assistant Sociale could point me in another direction.

That’d be my take on it. And I can see why it might be legit. That said, I can see it being hotly contested. I’ll watch with interest.

I’m told that there are reports of S1 holders being refused CSS on RIFT’s FB page. Not being on FB, I can’t confirm details.

They have all been advised to speak to their assistante sociale or France Services.

Could it be that the French authorities have decided that the S1 should cover the same in France as in the UK where people don’t have mutuelles?

1 Like

But in the UK, healthcare is free at the point of delivery. The EU rule on S1s is that the holder is entitled to healthcare as the same basis as other residents. France can’t change the SI rules, it is an EU scheme.
However the logic I can see is that the S1 basically means France is not responsible for S1 holders’ healthcare. By issuing the S1 the UK is agreeing to pick up the tab. But the UK does not pick up the tab for the CSS. Following that logic, France is paying healthcare costs for people it is not responsible for. It is a kind of logic and I suppose it comes to more or less the same as what you are saying but from a different angle, in that, since CSS is France’s own system, I guess France can change how it works. It is not like trying to change an EU rule.

1 Like