Complémentaire santé refusal for British with 10 year CdS?

Hand-holders charge money!! Sometimes for old rope…

2 Likes

On the one hand I agree that it’s absolutely key to engage one’s brain, but on the other hand disagree with the term hand holder, as having the ‘right’ info at hand saves time and is far far more efficient than spending wasteful hours with endless searching, and then perhaps still not discovering what’s needed. When I was working, I would always make sure that people would document a new finding/discovery/method/process very clearly, as this would allow future folks to benefit from the reference and experience and drive a far more streamlined efficient business. There is much to be said for the old addage ‘knowledge is power’:grin: If I have the choice between spending half a day scrolling through endless info versus spending the half day on a leisure pursuit, I know what I’d rather do :grin:

1 Like

On a forum… if one of us says “this is how it works”… there is always someone else who comes along and says exactly the opposite… and that’s because in many instances things can work differently depending on where in France one actually is.

As a general rule, I offer advice based on what has worked for me in the past… might not be current any more… who knows… and possibly nearly everyone knows that my Mairie seems to be a cut-above most others when it comes to being helpful… :wink:

I’ve sat in on many official things as simply a “fly on the wall” for one side or the other… or attended site meetings etc etc… and never for gain, just to help out if asked to do so.

I prefer to use the official government sites as a source of information and also speaking face to face with officials and questioning them about whatever… and I suggest folk do likewise if they can.
However, this forum carries an amazing amount of information and experience… and is well worth scanning through if one is stuck with anything…

1 Like

We might be talking at cross purposes. By hand holder I mean someone you pay to get you established in France.

Big difference between entrusting everything to a hand-holder - some of whom who will just tell you to sign on this dotted line, and that one - and seeking concise clear info that you digest and you make decisions on.

There have been some horror stories of, for example, people being encouraged to set up entirely inappropriate business structures because they hadn’t understood anything for themselves but just did what was suggested.

3 Likes

Ah ok, now I understand the context of ‘hand holder’ - thanks for clarifying :+1:

1 Like

I feel the same way as letsmile. Without SF I doubt very much that we would have returned to France after going back to the UK for a couple of years. The advice has been excellent but everyone’s situation is slightly unique. I made several mistakes in applying for my titre de séjour. First I assumed by going to the prefecture I could see someone immediately about my application or at least I would get good advice as to what to do. Wrong! Secondly I didn’t realise I am classed as a non European which meant I accessed the govt database incorrectly. Finally I sent my documents to the prefecture who sent them back a week later with exact instructions as to what to do. I now have an appointment on Nov 3rd. I am still not entirely happy about that as the option I needed was not listed but I shall check on that again. Can I suggest that as there are several of us in the same position we should share our progress through the admin trail. For instance I am starting the process of importing my car. As suggested on a different post I have contacted the local Douane to check if I can call in on Friday. I have received an automated reply saying they will contact within 5days.
After which I need to visit the tax office and see about changing my driving licence.

As you say… everyone’s situation is slightly unique… and the Government Sites are sometimes not the easiest things to fathom, but they will take you the step-by-step… so long as you try not to overthink things (which pitfall I still drop into if I’m overtired and panicking…).

For instance… since Brexit… it’s been made very clear… indeed trumpeted across the world… that UK folk are no long european… but it still needs knocking into our heads occasionally. :wink: as you have discovered…

I have been told 80% is covered for hospital stays leaving the patient to find 20% plus the daily charge which I think is 23 euros? If you have 100% for a malady long duration with your prescription, and you enter the hospital for that illness your cover will be 100%, leaving you to pay the daily charge.

Not as simple as that unfortunately. First off depends if it is elective or emergency care. Second, depends whether a public hospital or private clinic (or public hospital with doctor operating privately). Third depends wether conventionné secteur 1 or 2, and how much the dépassement honoraires is.

Emergency stuff is generally covered 100%, for anything else you ask in advance!

Daily charge is €20 now.

My last emergency stay was indeed zero charges apart from the daily food charge having forgotten the amount. I didn’t think it pertinent to go into the charges other than the basics. I mentioned 80% because it was mentioned only 70% would be paid which is incorrect for a public hospital and first-tier clinics. The 10% discrepancy is important when one considers my last bill was 22,000 euros, which thankfully I didn’t have to pay being on ALD for the malady I went in for.

1 Like

So if people on an S1 and very low income can no longer afford a mutuelle, what happens if they need expensive medical treatment and cannot afford to pay for the part not covered by CPAM?

Hopefully this is something that will be resolved, because if it isn’t a lot of people are going to be in difficulty.

I’m wondering about this… because if one is here from UK with S1 and one’s income is so very low… how is one paying one’s bills… let alone mutuelle?
Such a person might well be entitled to financial aid , best to ask the Assistant Sociale (whatever) and if one is entitled to financial aid then the link to the mutuelle is often straightforward (from what I’ve seen on various gouv websites).

On the other hand… I have heard of folk who fall ill or have an accident. find themselves in hospital… and then needing care/whatever… and suddenly their family are muttering about how much it is all going to cost… and why isn’t XYZ in the mutuelle scheme… ah, couldn’t afford it (whatever)
and swift phone calls are made, papers are produced, a signature… and the patient is in the cheap/free scheme and all will be well. Phew.

Of course, getting into a Mutuelle is an important step… and best taken before any major illness/accident. Speak with the Assistant Sociale… ask for advice.
EDIT: from what I’ve seen/heard… no resident in France who has a serious condition, will be left without medical care of some sort.

1 Like

It doesn’t affect us yet, but it may well do at some time in the future. Our mutuelle costs half my monthly pension.

I also don’t think anybody would be refused vital treatment in France. It’s not the US. But it seems to be causing consternation among a number of people who have recently applied and been turned down.

Firstly I do not know if that is the case, I am merely saying that it has been suggested.

Secondly as Stella says, a person in that position should be talking to their assistante sociale to see what assistance they are entitled to.

Thirdly without wishing to start any arguments, there is also the issue of personal responsibility and the reasons for the changes in circumstances. From what I have seen and read in the past the French state is usually sympathetic and prepared to provide exceptional aid when people have found themselves in a fix because of loss of income due to circumstances outside their control. Less so in cases where the person appears for instance to have moved to France with as self supporting but with in reality insufficient income to support themselves and was apparently counting on the French state bailing them out. What I am saying is I suspect there is not a one answer fits all to your question about “people on an S1”, because each case is looked at individually and the response may well depend on how long the person in question has been in France, and whether this is an unforeseen problem or whether they could have predicted it and taken steps to prevent it. However as in point one, I really think we should wait and see if this is indeed the issue before starting to panic about it. Crossing bridges when you come to them save a lot of wasted fretting.

1 Like

Sadly, I can’t locate any details which shows under what circumstances folk have applied and been turned down… so often a news story is a muddle of halftruths/misquotes and this all ends up giving us stress and worry…

please check your mutuelle with @fabien he is tried and trusted and worth contacting.

take care

1 Like

It would be helpful to learn what was the follow-up… after Refusal…

I am following on other websites Stella. FB and Expatforum. Will post anything useful that comes up.

2 Likes

Please do let us know if you see/note anything useful.
Meantime… I really do think we need to stop, breathe… and try to keep cool.

This is reminding me of an incident probably a decades or more ago.
The French government, I think it would have been under Sarko or Flamby, was discussing bringing in an owner occupier tax such as some countries such as I believe the Netherlands have.
The rumour started going round the expat community. There was a British couple we knew slightly, since returned to Blighty, who became frantic about this. They went to the tax office and demanded to be told exactly how much tax they would have to pay, and when the tax office knew nothing about it they were convinced that either the tax office staff were incompetent or they were lying. Every time we spoke to them they would talk of nothing else.
In the end the proposal was not taken forward.
All that self-torment and hot air for nothing.
I would hate to see this happen again with this.

I’m watching this thread with interest as our CSS renewal application is seemingly in a holding pattern. We should have been given an answer by now (according ‘les délais de traitement’ link) and emailed a request for info earlier this week.

For the record; CdS holder (wda), registered artisan, non S1. In theory and to my understanding, we shouldn’t be refused as we remain affiliated to the French Health system - the only thing that has significantly changed is our status from European to TCN… but I’m not holding my breath.

I’m prepared for a refusal (and I would not appeal it) but I’m as yet undecided about paying for a mutuelle. Having paid for one for the best part of 10 years (and seeing the cost increase year on year) I’ve a notion of the swings and roundabouts. But it’s a gamble, I know.

I appreciate that one can ask for assistance but I’m not asking for handouts rather to minimise outgoings, foreseen or otherwise.

1 Like