Considering Relo to France with Mixed Breed Dog (Cat 1?)

@james is there a reason James Walker cannot uplift photosā€¦???

Yes, new users canā€™t upload stuff immediately, Iā€™ve upgraded him to member so he can now.

1 Like

@jhwalk09

Jamesā€¦ try again with your photoā€¦ you should be ok now

Oh nice! Thank you!

1 Like

Hi James,

Since my family and I chose not to relocate (still a decision that haunts me sometimes), I donā€™t have any insight for you. My understanding is that dogs which are in fact - or possibly just in appearance a mix of the listed breeds, they are not allowed. Which brings the question of how aggressively the law is enforced and what happens if you and your dog get ā€œcaughtā€? I have no idea but I have a feeling it doesnā€™t end well for the dog. Best of luck with whatever you decide and thanks for sharing the cute pics of your pooch.

Kind Regards,
Clint

You should get a certificate from a vet saying he is NOT one of the listed dogs and then you should be OK.

1 Like

for clarityā€¦ is that a French Vet or an American Vetā€¦??? (I have no idea if they work to the same parameters)

and is the electric shock collar really necessary ??? :thinking: (or maybe it is essential)ā€¦

It is easy enough to get hold of the Fr list and for a vet anywhere to write an attestation with a photograph of the dog on it to go with his passport, saying ā€˜In my professional opinion this dog is NOT one of these category whatever ones on the listā€™.

Fair enoughā€¦ that explains itā€¦ :upside_down_face:

Hello, James. Any update on your situation, I have the same issue, trying to move back to France with my rescue, who is identified as a Terrier mix, and canā€™t find any clear answer, some says itā€™s impossible and banned some says it depends on the look of the dog, Iā€™m still trying to figure things out.
Let us know how everything goes.
Or if anyone has the same experienceā€¦
Thanks.

My personal experience of French vets licenced to categorise dogs has left me with a determination never to go down that route again. A complete rip-off and arse covering situation.

My Category 2 Rottweiler was the gentlest of souls and the first vet mistook a groan of pleasure as she manipulated his hips for a growl despite then creeping up behind him and suddenly grabbing his behind in a most brutal manner and getting not even a head turn from himā€¦ ā‚¬65 Cat 1 Level 2. Kerching ! As a result my insurance wouldnā€™t cover him.

2nd vet gave him a very thorough exam, said that he would be Cat 1 (of course, no arguement there) Level 1 on the condition that he wasnā€™t allowed contact with children and old people. ā‚¬ 160 Kerching !

When the attestation came through the post Cat 1 Level 2. Lying Bastard. :rage:

I had to pay an insurance company I had never heard of full cover (I have never insured my dogs in the past) to get the 3rd party the law provides. ā‚¬25/month for a year with the 3rd party element (the only bit I needed) only ā‚¬5.

The only bright spot in the whole affair was my attestation as a competant handler. A registered examiner (a local Rottie breeder) said the normal fee was ā‚¬150 but he would reduce it to ā‚¬50 as I was a friend of a friend. We walked and talked about Rotties in particular and dogs in general for an hour and at last he produced the document I needed, already completed, from his pocket. I reached for my wallet but he said ā€˜no chargeā€™, I asked why and he said while facing me with his clenched fist firmly on his chest ā€˜because we have the same heartā€™. I was so choked I couldnā€™t speak.

The last step was the Maire, he had to visit to see if he would be eaten. He wasnā€™t, and I had my permit several days later. :slightly_smiling_face:

But I would never do it again.

BTW, the ā€˜Levelā€™ is ā€˜Niveau de Dangerositeā€™. I kid you not. :roll_eyes:
With 1 the least and 4 the most.

Did you fly there with your dog?

@David_Spardo
I donā€™t know why you are surprised, look at this - the law is the law regardless of an individual dogā€™s character, unfortunately

I see nothing in the document you posted, Vero, to make me unsurprised at the actions of the 2 vets.

I understood perfectly the law, even if I disagree with it (no race per se is dangerous, only bad or criminal upbringing by humans).

My anger was directed towards 2 vets, one of whom firstly misinterpreted the result of her ā€˜testā€™ , and then wilfully put me at risk (if the dog had indeed been dangerous) by, without warning to me or the dog, attacking him (there can be no other word for it from behind while I was leading him on a short lead and therefore close to his head. I had offered to muzzle him if it made her feel better but she insisted that I shouldnā€™t. After he demonstrably proved that his level of ā€˜dangerositeā€™ was so low as to be non-existant, she nevertheless refused a ā€˜levelā€™ commensurate with his behaviour.

The 2nd vet was worse, after an hour of rigorous tests, during which the dog spent most of the time relaxed on the floor, he avowed that a declaration of Level 1 was appropriate with certain conditions. These conditions were agreed to readily and we thought the decision had been made. Later, despite what was said and agreed to, Level 2 was applied.

There is nothing in the law which says Level 1 should never be applied.

So I am not surprised by the law, I have always been aware of it, only at the perfidy of 2 vets who imposed an unfair restriction on a dog which both of them considered safe enough to be in close contact with them, their staff and members of the public and their dogs in the waiting rooms, while (at their direction) remaining unmuzzled.

The first vet even instructed me to let him off the lead in an unfenced area in a small commune. If he was as dangerous as her assessment would suggest that was a wilful disregard of public safety if nothing else. And illegal too come to that.

1 Like

Oh I see a bit better now, Iā€™m sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick - this explains it very clearly. Very interesting (my dog was a lab/pointer cross and not concerned so the subtleties rather escaped me). It does seem very subjective. I would have thought though that surprising a dog a bit while assessing him or her would be quite a good test - after all that is when you are likely to get a true reaction to an unforeseen stimulus eg as happened to my dog a small child in the street who grabbed her face and sucked her noseā€¦

No apology needed, and perhaps I am a little touchy on the subject, a stupid law, stupidly applied.

I would have thought though that surprising a dog a bit while assessing him or her would be quite a good test.

Yes indeed, I fully agree but might be a good idea to warn the bloke at the dangerous end, and make sure the dog is muzzled. :roll_eyes:

Hi James - just curious if you ever found a solution to bringing your dog to France? We are in the same boat and trying to plan for next year so looking for all the advice we can. Cheers! Nick

Help! Iā€™m moving my entire family (wife (me), husband (currently in France-but returning next week), two kids and our mixed breed dog to France in February. We are flying direct from New York.

Iā€™m so nervous-I donā€™t know where to start. Sheā€™s five yrs old, 65 lbs, 34" by 26" super sweet Lab mix. She may have some boxer in her. I live in Michigan and have a vet appt next week to get her microchipped/rabies vaccination. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

3 Likes