Conspiracy Theory -what is so different between Flu & Covid 19?

Sorry, not enough time to digest the whole thread to rebut individual points but trying to understand coronavirus by comparison to seasonal flu or Ebola you are going to come to unreliable conclusions because it is not like either of those.

Ebola has a high mortality but is relatively non-transmissible, you have to have direct contact with bodily fluids from an infected individual.

Seasonal flu is also less transmissible partly because we have lived alongside flu virus for generations and there is some natural immunity - we run an arms race with 'flu as it changes a bit all the time and, of course, nowadays we have vaccines.

Coronavirus might stand comparison to seasonal flu in a few years when it has been through most of the population and we have some immunity - but maybe it will learn to change quickly enough to constantly present as “new” to our immune systems, no-one knows yet.

If you want to understand what coronavirus is capable of doing compare it with pandemic flu - especially 1918-20 and the effect of measles and smallpox on the native South Americans who had no natural immunity when these diseases were introduced by Europeans.

4 Likes

No it’s the report that changed the governments tack big time. Please don’t have a go at you for pointing out the obvious. Believe me my language is restrained, I think that people like you are dangerous b

1 Like

No I don’t. Where in my post do I give that impression?

Isn’t the big problem with Covid 19 that many people survive only with hospital support. And because it is so easily transmittable the numbers could and are very quickly overwhelming hospital provision. Without adequate facilities the mortality rate will rocket far beyond that of flu.

I have seen figures that 15% of cases of all ages needing some form of respiratory support… if that is not there then many of that 15% will die.

1 Like

@anon90504988.

You have certainly poked the Hornets nest with this one!

OilyMeaslyEgret-max-1mb

1 Like

Why? All I am asking is that when 26000 people die of 'Flu there is no reaction at all but when 335 die the country grinds to a halt. I am not questioning the wisdom of actions being taken but I am questioning why a far greater (& proven) death toll did not trigger a similar action in previous years?
Why is that dangerous?

3 Likes

Well, comments like

suggest you think there is no real cause for concern and the crisis is artificial.

Also flu has a flu season , it starts at the beginning of winter and is dying out now. Covid 19 doesn’t appear to have a season and is unaffected by the weather etc

1 Like

OK I get that.
I guss, because we know flu is seasonal and the epidemic will end. With covid19 there is no indication that it will ever stop of its own accord.

Could you give your source for that, please?

Did you notice my point re hospital care?

It is at the bottom of my OP. https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/annual-flu-reports

That just confirms that you do not understand the exponential growth rate of the disease. When it takes off it goes out of control. The government knows the capacity of the NHS’s ICU capability, which is already hard pressed in the winter, and know that as the virus progresses it will overwhelm the health services. You only need to look at news reports from Italy to see the outcome. Wake up!

3 Likes

You make it sound as though you agree with his point of view. That’s worrying. It’s no joking matter.

This just proves the proverb; you can take a horse to water…

“I wonder, therefore, why covid 19 is considered to be so much more serious than flu despite the death rate being tiny in comparison?”

Yes, Jane. Covid 19 is dangerous but why is my simple question (why has this outbreak prompted such measures while in previous years no such measures were even thought of despite a much higher death toll) considered dangerous? I am not saying that the actions are wrong or unwarranted.
I would like answers, not insults & accusations.

1 Like

A page ref would have been goid, I don’t have time to read all that :roll_eyes:
I’ve seen the average flu mortality rate put far lower.

You have been given the answers but you have chosen not to accept them. The reasons are reported left right and centre. The low numbers are part of the pattern, look at what has happened in Italy.
Are you one of these modern people who reject experts and facts? Do you listen to the radio?

I think the ‘it is no different to flu’ mentality is one of the reasons people aren’t appreciating the seriousness of it,disregarding social distancing and leading to increased deaths

3 Likes

Flu annual report winter 2018-2019. Page 51. copy of this is in my OP too.