Conspiracy Theory -what is so different between Flu & Covid 19?

Perhaps a better answer would be:
In the case of flu we’ve done the work before it arrives. IWt’s not like we don’t figjt it. You are implying that we make no attempt to stop people dying of flu but in fact we develop new vaccines each year and we carry out mass vaccination.

We haven’t been abe to do this xith coronaviuus.

Hi Mark

I understand your point, but consistent with good conspiracy theory you need to consider what we have not noticed.

What private information do you think the government knows that they are not sharing. What has shocked even Boris - yes even Boris! to take the steps he has. It must be horrendous to even contemplate what has been done.

Yep, there is a conspiracy, but its not the one you are thinking of!

4 Likes

…and despite these vaccines there is STILL a very high mortality rate. I’m sure that you are not shrugging your shoulders & saying that the 26000 is OK.

Yes, when hospitals and doctors are overwhelmed and have to choose which one of tens of critical patients gets a ventilator, this is uncharted territory.

I’ve seen this sort of argument before - with Brexit. I see no point in trying to pursuade anybody of anything they have no wish to believe. Better to ignore and move on.

At last someone has got the point!
Correct Guy, What is it that we are not being told? This thing has to be pretty serious to make governments bring in such strict measures. Current casualty figures do not in themselves compare unfavourably with those of previous flu outbreaks so the cost of current measures which will be great both socially & economically must be there for a very good reason beyond those given out currently.
The repercussions will be far reaching.
I am only asking the question so it would be nice to be informed rather than insulted & derided.

6 Likes

A very good idea. There’s likely no cure for conspiracy theory.

1 Like

Come on Mark, you are setting yourself up to be shot down. The reason that the current figures are low yet worrying has been explained. When you actually make the effort to move away from your narrow point of view and gain a better understanding of the seriousness of the situation.

1. Read up on exponential growth
  2. Look at what has happened in Italy
  3. Go to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/ then compare the UK’s figures to Italy’s from exactly two weeks ago
  4. Post an apology

You’re very keen on your 26 000.

“Flu kills an average of 8,000 people every year,”

The point is that you have to try and stop people catching it.
Given that we have no vaccine, what do you suggest we do? Watch thousands of people die every day? Make funeral pyres when the cemeteries are full?

1 Like

Jesus Dan why are you always so aggressive ?
Mark posted a question, & to your way of thinking, he’s a heartless bastard…
You need to get out more.

6 Likes
8 Likes

Not my figure, Anna, it comes from the UK government’s own site.

Official Statistics
Annual flu reports

Public Health England publishes overviews each year of influenza surveillance results from the winter period.

Perhaps they are making them up?

1 Like

These will also include those who died with ,not of ,flu
I am now getting what Mark is saying and think some of us need to take a step back. I am inclined to agree , if there isn’t this panic over seasonal flu why is Covid causing such concern? What do they know that we don’t?

3 Likes

So does mine.

I’ve told you once

1 Like

It’s understandable that people don’t want to face the situation.
If it helps to believe in a conspiracy theory, why not.
Just as long as they play the game andkeep to the rules

Sorry Bob but Mark has been given the facts and is refusing to take them into consideration. He is continuing to ask the same questions, the ones that have been answered comprehensively. He is becoming a bit of a bore. Aggressive? No worried by his complete lack of understanding about what is happening in the world around him.
If you want to be constructive don’t shoot the messenger!

He’s stuck in a rut and has refused to accept the helping hands.

Or he’s in a trench scared to come out. If so I sympathise.

The “facts” are being presented on a daily basis…by whom ?
Government, media, etc.
We’re being told what to do, & how to behave ; for fear of being fined.
Whatever the facts, consequences etc., etc., Life has to continue…& people WILL ask questions.
Guy’s post & Mark’s subsequent response, puts Mark’s OP into context, IMO…
but that’s only my opinion.

As for being constructive ; I am being constructive by just following the rules…

Let’s try to keep some places (e.g. here) free from the shit that currently threatens to make life uncomfortable

5 Likes