Convoy nears Paris

I hope the have their Critā€™air stickers and CB radios. Breaker, breaker, this is Dupont to Dupond, weā€™ve got a convoyā€¦ā€¦

Basically thĆØse people are economically marginalised and are exploited by being told that they are being suppresed by an elite cabal of intellectuals - and what is more such misunderstandings are further promoted when the likes of that little populist slug, Gove prattle on about ā€˜not needing experts.ā€™

Thereā€™s a very good, but poignant in-depth article on N American truckersā€™ lives. at!-

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/09/business/truck-driver-shortage.html?action=click&module=card&pageType=theWeekender

Convoy ended badly, if I correctly remember (usually try to erase memory of bad movies) and Rubber Duck became ā€˜Dead Duckā€™.

Hi Mark,
Hereā€™s a blast from the past, if I remember first watching on VHS or beta max when in young teens.
https://youtu.be/uDUXvR79wS4
I can send you the full film if you like, but only have it in Danish, no sub titles.
Btw, Iā€™m not economicically marginalised.

2 Likes

Presumably Helen will be able to tell us all about it first-hand.

10 Likes

Never saw the movie Mark. I just remember the song. Iā€™m not really sure I have the energy to worry about truck drivers, unless an overtired one kills me. Itā€™s a pretty tough job from my perspective but at least itā€™s a skill. Iā€™d wonder more about the gig economy. But I also wonder am I looking at todays world through 1980s lenses. Am I really in tune enough to judge.

Well I canā€™t tell anyone much about the Paris convoy except they will eventually connect in Brusselsā€¦i donā€™t know of any Paris livestreams so canā€™t commentā€¦

In Ottawa fb tried to take down Pat king yesterday and lawyers worked all morning and he was back by this afternoonā€¦

He was sent a personal letter from this guy who Iā€™ve never heard of telling him he could be the next prime minister if he formed a political party and could be part of history if he told everyone on ambassador bridge to stand downā€¦

Probably pretty obvious what his response was to that letterā€¦.

Edited to add there is a fake Pat king page on fbā€¦.

There was also a livestream today from Ottawa where Canadian physicians had invited health ministers to attend for open and transparent debateā€¦.presenting evidence on both sidesā€¦

None of the said invited officials turned upā€¦

One of the esteemed physicians presented all the evidence he had provided to an ongoing court case where he had been asked to provide expert testimonyā€¦.his documentary evidence amounted to a foot high mountain of evidence with citations and links and the rebuttal was a couple of pages with no cited studies and only fb fact checks presented

Apart from disrupting peopleā€™s lives you have to wonder what the convoy hopes to achieve, the French government have already started to remove restrictions and within a few weeks most will be gone.

Thanks Wozza and glad to read that youā€™re not economically marginalised!

If youā€™ve not read the NYT article, itā€™s a very moving and detailed account of long distance truckerā€™s ten day journey - he comes across as a nice guy, living a hard and lonely life.

Like Convoy, the trucker song below ends badly, but itā€™s a better piece of music. Thereā€™s also a good one by Martin Carthy, some memorable lyrics, but Iā€™m struggling to remember the title -
Love Never Dies ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRBKcrn9Xlk

The Bourgmestre de Bruxelles said on the radio that he would not allow a convoy of vehicles to enter the city, given that they hadnā€™t followed the administrative rules for a demonstration, and that he had instructed city police to direct any such vehicles to a massive car park on the outskirts of the city.

My immediate thought was that one way around this approach would be to ā€œmobā€, the city but then it wouldnā€™t still be a ā€œconvoyā€ would it, and that would take a fairly extraordinary degree of organisation with ā€œchatterā€ on the networks, so would probably be thwarted anyway ?

I had thought you would join them, seeing you feel so strongly about it (and youā€™d be with a bunch of like-minded people).

Maybe thatā€™s just me being French though, we love demonstrating :grin:

Whatā€™s Brussels got to do with COVID though?

5 Likes

I think I must be one of the really economically marginalised. I would like to join the convoy but cannot afford it.

4 Likes

Too many unvaccinated people in the convoy, you could catch covid from them :wink:

2 Likes

I have covid-fatigue and now convoy-fatigue as well.

6 Likes

"Six Days on the Road" *is a song written by Earl Green and Muscle Shoals Sound Studio songwriter Carl Montgomery. *

Peaking at #2 on the Billboard Hot CountrySongs chart and cracking the Top 40, leading to it being hailed as the definitive celebration of the American truck driver.

One of the best versions was a blues-rocking rendition recorded in 1969 by Taj Mahal.

I would certainly vouch for the Taj Mahal version being superb. As is the whole album, Giant Stepsā€™.

Esquire included the album at number 27 on its list of ā€œThe 75 Albums Every Man Should Ownā€. [Giant_Step/De Ole Folks at Home]

If I was in U.K. Iā€™d be out there supportingā€¦:grinning:

Here thereā€™s currently only me and the collies so I have to think about them first

What has Brussels got to do with covidā€¦???

I think itā€™s the ā€œvax passā€ or whatever itā€™s being called in different countries and an unelected by the people Ursulaā€¦.??? :thinking:

It looks like the First Nations are about to declare their own ā€œstate of emergencyā€ as they have treaty rights to much of the land including I think the land in front of Ottawa Parliament and ambassador bridgeā€¦:thinking:

The treaty they made was only ever for within a ploughā€™s depth so in their view everything ever built is in violation of their treaty rights

Itā€™s complicated to unravel and thatā€™s for sureā€¦

Brian Peckfordā€¦.

Why are you posting this **** again Helen?

1 Like