Creme Fraiche

Can you make ice cream from creme fraiche, fat content is nice and high compared to actual cream offerings in France. What actually is creme fraiche, I know its soured with a culture but is that it, full fat cream soured witj a culture?

I don’t know about the chemistry, but I’ve certainly made ice cream with French creme fraîche, often mixed 50:50 with Greek yoghurt and it’s very successful. It tastes much more like gelato than ice cream.

5 Likes

Thats exactly what I am looking to achieve Gelato

Yup, full fat and a ferment added. Pasteurised or raw and can’t be sterilised.

I now struggle with UK type double cream which I find far too sweet.

1 Like

Yes, back in the days when we still had an ice-cream maker, I have a vague recollection of adding yogurt to the crème fraÎche to make up the volume.

I always use creme fraiche to make ice-cream… better than double cream in my view and absolutely delicious. Which reminds me, I made some last week and lunchtime is coming up :rofl:

5 Likes

Hello

There are several ways of making icecream, I don’t think it would work if you’re using the traditional method of making icecream by heating to make a custard with egg yolks as creme fraiche has a tendency to separate or curdle when heated unless its a very gentle heat and that method requires the heat to be high enough for the egg yolks to thicken the milk/cream mixture. If you’re using a cold whip method with ingredients like greek yogurt it should be fine.

Happy ice cream making!

Thank you, yes I was trying to avoid the egg yolk ice cream in preference for a more gelato non egg version. Will be fun experimenting.

The recipe I use is half milk half double cream (and eggs) and works fine, probably because it’s only the milk that’s heated and added to the beaten egg yolks/sugar. The cream/creme fraiche is mixed in once the mixture is cold, before going into the ice-cream maker. It’s absolutely reliable - never had a problem with it!

1 Like

I looked into differences between the two and icecream has eggs and traditional gelato does not, although that seems to be changing with American influences.
I see a lot of receipes with condensed milk added but I do not want that level of sugar, fructose or whatever else they put in like carrageenan

That’s interesting as I make a both a coffee and a lemon gelato from an old traditional Italian recipe and both are based on an egg custard. Have you go a source that says traditional gelatos don’t have eggs? I was wondering whether perhaps it was a regional variation…

Only google, of course.

Try crème35% plus Ricotta,very gelato

1 Like

Will give several options a try thank you.

Good luck. From my experience even the failed experiments are deemed “delicious” by the guinea pigs family.

1 Like

I’ve been using the BBC good food , crème fraiche strawberry ice cream recipe for a few years now: 500 g strawberries, 500g crème fraiche, 200g sugar ( less if you don’t like sweet ice cream . Very good results

1 Like

Haha I made keto mason jar icecream once, you need a kango to serve it :joy:

I shall be using the minimal amount of sugar, that amount of fruit should be enough on its own for my tastes. I worry about the levels of sugar in some receipes let alone the high fructose corn syrup and maltodextrin in process versions.

1 Like

Sorry, I should have said “even my failed experiments are deemed “delicious””. If you choose to ignore the natural laws that’s your problem :rofl:

1 Like

I have used a base mix from the Ben&Jerry Ice cream book for years, endlessly variable by adding - very strong Espresso to make coffee Ice Cream, melted dark chocolate for choc ice cream, very dark caramel and some salt flakes to make ‘salted caramel’. Chocolate chunks for ‘straciatella’, etc.

2 whole eggs, beaten with 150gr sugar, 700ml cream - creme fraiche would work + 300 ml full fat milk
vanilla bean paste or just finely ground whole vanilla pod

beat eggs until pale, add sugar gradually while beating, add cream & milk, mix well. Cool in the fridge for a while. Add to your ice cream maker.
This needs eating within a 2 week window (never last any longer anyway) and is not for pregnant or immune system compromised people.

2 Likes