Crit Air zones & Scams

Rouen Metropole information is all on-line here:

Zone à Faibles Émissions mobilité | Métropole Rouen Normandie (metropole-rouen-normandie.fr)

Kicks in from 1st September for privately owned vehicles.

How they will police it isn’t clear, but all routes including motorways are included within the radius shown. It’s a long diversion to avoid altogether!

Page 10:

More information here:

Non-UK cars are supposed to register with TFL:

It’s still “only” Euro 6 for diesel and Euro 4 for petrol, only drivers of pre 2011 vehicles are going to struggle (pre 2006 for petrol).

Thats me then when I go and visit (some) family😡

1 Like

Well I’m quite shocked as the 1998 petrol gas guzzler car that I just re-registered in France is only Euro 2 :flushed::flushed: just can’t understand how that works!

2 Likes

Likewise with a 2010, the only difference I could find between mine and the euro 6 is the stop start feature. Still my trip in September looks as if a diversion around Rouen and associated districts will be necessary if I dont get another by then.

Just looking at options, a petrol version of the same vehicle but still withing the realms of travel through Rouen actually emits more CO2 than my older diesel. Going for a late model petrol vs a euro 6 diesel the CO2 levels are near identical.

Have you tried using the link on the AA’s website for crit air stickers.

No but the link from the French side is earlier in the thread. From the 1st September I wont be allowed through Rouen by the look of things.

It’s not (just) CO2, it’s more about NOx and particulates (where petrol has a natural advantage over diesel).

1 Like

I really did only write that to emphasise the point, hoping someone would pick up on it.

The current bête noir is particulate “emissions” from tyre wear, not even EVs are immune to that one.

Thats why tyre companies are working on that very thing.

Necessity being the mother of invention

These tyres will still wear out they just won’t puncture

2 Likes

You might find this Royal College of Art start-up’s research of interest

The Tyre Collective

We will have to wait for real data rather than the conjecture and errors to date. From a report dreamed up some time ago, they didnt use an EV, they used an ICE vehicle and added ballast to approximate the weight of an EV. So braking is with friction not deceleration through regenerative charging. There were other points in addition which escape me for now.
I am not negating there is an issue just no one bothered with ICE cars tyre wear and polution but for some obscure reason zero tail pipe emissions means we must find other reasons to bitch about EV’s. Wonder who is lobbying this, maybe very rich oil compsnies?
As the puncture proof tyre will vastly reduce the amount of tyres scraped it will help and as they look at various materials changes will come. Just takes time which so far the motor vehkcle industry has had how many years to look at? Nah, only now EV’s threaten a poluting old industry.

Forces on the tyres are going to be similar either way.

I guess it is about going for the target which will make most difference first. Once you have tail-pipe particulate emissions low enough other sources start to dominate.

Yes, they will probably be easier to recycle/make from recycled plastic.

I wonder how they will affect handling though - looking at that photo there is more distortion on that tyre than I think I’d expect from a conventional tyre - improved ride no doubt, but cornering?

Probably will be a while before they are accepted - if for no other reason that they look a bit weird :slight_smile:

AFAIK present versions offer a significantly less comfy ride than a conventional pneumatic tyre, though hopefully that will be sorted as development continues.

Clearly in the “interesting idea, check again in 3-5 years” pot then :slight_smile: