Crit Air zones & Scams

Like electric cars, probably a good idea and those who believe in them will be prepared to put up with the disadvantages because they think it really is the right thing to do. The rest of us will watch and then buy when there’s a compelling reason.

3 Likes

Does this mean that the route from Calais to the south - via the tunnel and Pont Mathilde and past the railway yards - will be ‘out of bounds’ because of the emissions zone? That would be a real bugger. I thought that route was on the edge of the zone and currently exempt?

Currently it seems so but 1st September it changes to class 2 and 1, 3’s like me are not allowed.
If anyone knows different please post as it could save a many thousands purchase of a another vehicle.

Re Rouen… On Page 10 it does suggest that anyone in breach of the CritAir thingy will be “spoken to, gently, to educate them…”
No fines are expected to be issued until 2023… by which time folk will be expected to understand and have managed to “get their act together”.

It was also interesting to note that come 2023, only 1 fine can be given in a single day… so one isn’t going to get multiple fines while taking the route through Rouen…
The long and the short of it @Corona … you should be alright this year… but who knows about 2023.

2 Likes

Thanks Stella, that takes the pressure off :kissing_heart:

Are you sure? Every website I’ve looked at says Green, 1,2 & 3 are fine, 4 & 5 and people without are not. Perhaps I’m missing the point here (it is one of my greatest skills in life) but if you say you’re a 3 you will be fine as long as you have a sticker?

We are still discussing Rouen, no?

Yes still on Rouen, currently what you say is correct from what I read and tried to understand but the turn is on Sept 1 as stated when things tighten.

Perhaps I’m reading wrongly, it has been a very long week and my french reading isn’t up to much by Friday afternoon, or my English reading in all honesty but @Stella’s link says on page 8

As I say, I’m probably getting the wrong end of the stick and should have kept my beak shut when my brain is barely half working. :see_no_evil:

Frankly, @Corona you’ve got time to get a CritAir sticker… and whichever category you get… there will be a route you can use.
although, you might need to check the maps and refigure things…

but, as I say… you have time.

1 Like

I’ve finally just ordered critair stickers, prompted very much by reading the thread, so thanks to all :+1::+1:

Maybe a very silly question, but once I have the stickers and want to travel far and wide, am I expected to look at some sort of map beforehand and plan a detail route according to the class vehicles I have?? If so, it does seem very cumbersome and restricting :scream:

1 Like

The restrictions are slowly changing so you will need to check before you travel. In days when there is high pollution forecast, some places have limited the allowed traffic to only the higher classifications.
Also there are planned changes for the future e.g. for Paris from July 2022, Crit’Air 3 vehicles will be banned. Then from January 1, 2024, Crit’Air 2 will be banned which is almost all diesel vehicles. In 2030, gasoline-powered vehicles could in turn be banned. Interdiction des véhicules Crit’Air 4 autour de Paris : les questions que l’on se pose - Le Parisien

1 Like

Which for the removal of any doubt are the lower numbers :joy:

Whereas for the German Umweltplakette the lower numbers are for the most polluting vehicles.
The EU should have sorted out a single standard sticker for all countries.
Windscreens can get rather cluttered with different environmental (and motorway) stickers

2 Likes

TBH for any journey that might use even the motorways around Rouen I’d get a sticker.

Our journey to and from Dieppe has not been able to avoid Rouen for decades. Over the years frequent diversions and blockages forcing you to other roads.

Culturally it seems that even if you’re forced by these onto a road you need a sticker for, that you haven’t got a sticker for, ie not your fault they won’t listen and you will have to pay the fine even if you can prove the temporary rerouting round the accident or roadworks.

Yes for around €3.75 not worth the argument.
I seem to remember the A29 and A151 to avoid Rouen when they had troubles in the centre but it was quite a while ago.

3 Likes

OK - So I go to this site to order my sticker :

And it asks me under Vehicle Type for a category - of which motorhome or camping car is not listed!!!

What would I use?? It is a diesel Mercedes 1st registered in 2006.

That’s for the simulator… and your CGrise should tell you what category…

When you “command” you simply fill-in the immatriculation details and the computer does the rest, since the details are already known “in the system” if it is French Registered.

1 Like

Nearest was light goods one down from passenger car and then date of registration fuel etc?

It’s done by weight. Under 3.5 tonnes it’s a light vehicle, so perhaps a car or a small van, more than that it’s a heavy vehicle so counts as a truck or such.

1 Like

Thanks Stella - But we are still in the UK so UK registered…and no mention on the log-book as to classification (typical DVLA).