Crit Air zones & Scams

should be the same section on the logbook…

Will chance my arm with a light van class then…

1 Like

Go into the “foreign” section on the Command… it opens up a whole new ball game and you give loads of details… take a look…

1 Like

Frankly, if you are getting a CritAir… why bother with the simulator… just go ahead and “command” it… whack in all the info… plus a jpeg of the logbook… and … zap it off…

In not entirely unconnected news, how nice is that new website?! The last one looked like it was made by a 12 year old in 1996 but yet again the french government has finally come up trumps, done itself proud, and produced a website that isn’t a shame on the nation. Manu’s digital transformation is really coming along nicely!

2 Likes

Did you sort it? My camper carte grise says VASP at J1 and caravane at J3.

Our daughter has been staying with us and as the law ’ in the UK’ states she has a UK sticker plastered to the car boot for fear that if it said GB she would be committing an offence.
She didn’t have a CritAir badge so I ordered one while she was here and it arrived today so like a dutiful dad I have placed it on her windscreen. The sticker displays her car registration and also the letters GB, not UK.
Seems to me that France still see’s the United Kingdom as Great Britain !!!

Funnily enough, while I was waiting outside the CT station the other day… my pals pointed to a passing car and said (wonderingly)… “Ukraine ???..”
Of course we all laughed when I explained that the Brit Govt had decided to change the well-know/well-understood GB… to UK… but I could quite understand their initial incredulity…

France is looking ahead :joy: NI gone, Scotland gone, rumblings in Wales. In fact the Midlands and the North dumped too as the London and the home counties sail into the sunny Brexit uplands.

[quote=“JohnBoy, post:67, topic:39982” in]
Seems to me that France still see’s the United Kingdom as Great Britain !!!
[/quote] former

Nothing to do with France

The former ‘GB’ plate unintentionally, though not entirely surprisingly, excluded Northern Ireland

The UK passport of whatever colour refers to ‘The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland’ and this had been the case for many decades (but as had been the GB car sticker).

Johnson decided to change the status quo in a delayed reaction to NI remaining within the EU tariff free trading zone. But all this did was to incur an extra expense for UK residents visiting Continental Europe and give the gendarmarie an extra opportunityto fine Brit motorists.

That gift that keeps on giving…

Yes, I am aware of the ‘back story’ to the change and my post was meant tongue in cheek. Typed on my laptop rather than phone so couldn’t use emojis which would have helped.
I think the gendarmes have much more important things to do than fine British drivers for not updating a GB sticker to UK. I wonder if a law actually exists in this regard and whether anyone has actually been fined?

I think once they get south of le pays de Calais, they’re probably safe, but on the other hand, xo many Brits resident in France have beome pissed off with some of their fellow countrymen (and presumably countrywomen too) driving around on UK plates that are untaxed, unMOT’d and most worryingly, effectively uninsured.

Not often I share Connexion stuff… but this seems pertinent… and we can read enough to understand…

so don’t be fooled… please

2 Likes

The GB country marker pre-dates the existence of NI and was allocated to Great Britain and Ireland in 1909…

The display of a national distinctive mark on a white oval plate, 30 cm × 18cm with black letters was first introduced by the 1909 International Convention with respect to the Circulation of Motor Vehicles signed in Paris

There are no reports quoted of anybody being penalised by gendarmes for displaying a GB plate as, technically, vehicles with plates manufactured before 01/01/21 can retatin the GB version. I travelled throughout Europe since 1971 without displaying a GB macaron or “Euro” plate and, despite being stop checked on a few occasions, it was never mentioned. As far as I can ascertain there is no legislation in the UK of France that imposes a penalty for non-display of a country identifier.

Interesting, that agreement predates both the creation of the Irish republic in 1922 and the introduction of British passport booklets (1920) which referred to the ‘United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland’ despite Ireland having effectively left the Union the previous year and the wording still hadn’t changed in this 1924 example. I don’t know when ‘Northern Ireland’ was first included on the passport, but it was certainly many decades ago and the recent change from GB to UK seems wholly about the optics of the withdrawal agreement.

Apropos your personal experience as anecdotal evidence, I simply speculated that it was an ‘opportunity’ for the gendarmarie. However we live on a major tourist route and from personal experience, I know that this year GB plates have become a very rare sight, as have EU style plates of British cars. In other words, regardless of yourobservations about enforcement many visitors have chosen to spend to comply with the new regs,

Since the sums involved need not be excessive… I suggest car owners do comply with the current regs… then relax and enjoy the drive… :+1: :+1:

2 Likes