Crit'Air cert

I’ve been thinking about this and, given that road-side cameras regularly read number plates, I suspect that the camera-controlled Crit’Air zones simply check your registration number against a central database and issue a fine if your vehicle is non-compliant.

I suspect that the windscreen vignette is mainly for use by foot or car patrols, as it provides a flag that is easily recognised by the mk-1 human. Thus if your Crit’Air class does not meet the requirements of the zone you are easily identified and ticketed accordingly.

2 Likes

Yes I think that makes more sense actually, as a camera trying to read the QR code or anything else on the windscreen from a distance would be a bit of a challenge I would imagine.

1 Like

So do we agree that “fading” doesn’t matter ??? :wink:

No, no no……you need to get a new one!

“vous serez dans l’obligation de commander une nouvelle vignette crit air, car une vignette illisible est assimilée à l’absence de vignette. Et, contrairement à une carte grise, un duplicata ne peut jamais être délivré.”

Same if you have to have your windscreen replaced, there is no way to get a duplicate.

I’m off out to take a photo of ours!

1 Like

I suppose there will be different views of “fading” and what the Agent is having trouble reading… :wink:

From 2017, a car forum… discussing fading stickers…

"Salut à tous,

je remonte le topic pour dire que j’ai aussi ce défaut de la vignette crit’air 3 qui s’efface et qui jaunit.

J’ai reçu par courrier une autre vignette pour remplacer celle qui avait un défaut avec un message qui dit que apparemment cela concerne un certain lot de vignettes crit’air 3 qui ont un problème de pigmentation suite à une erreur de manipulation.

Normalement tous ceux qui ont le problème devraient recevoir aussi une vignette de remplacement."

Quite an outcome… but only for that early “faulty” batch.

There was also the suggestion to carry the documentation which came with the Crit’Air sticker… if a gendarme decided the sticker looked a bit iffy…

Surely there must be a database they can check against, as although I purchased the van which already had the critair sticker, I don’t have the paperwork it was issued with. I can still read mine even though it is heavily faded, and probably doesn’t help, the fact it’s yellow. Do you think we’ll be surpassing the previous ‘crit air positioning’ thread :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Interesting. In my case, I started to think about the issue following a passage through the Rouen Crit’Air zone. After clearing the zone, I stopped for a coffee and noticed that a seagull had decided to decorate my car directly over my vignettes. As the Crit’Air vignette was outside the area swept by the wipers it was completely obscured. However, after more than 3 months I have not been notified of any infringement.

Had I parked in Rouen and the car had been subjected to a visual check by the traffic police etc, it may well have resulted in a ticket.

That’s when I wondered if Crit’Air classes were checked in two ways:

• When moving - by number plate recognition and database checks
  • When parked - by visual inspection of the vignette

For the driver, a benefit of the vignette is that it reminds you what category your vehicle falls into.

I think your seagull was a secret “gilet jaune”!! :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

A gilet blanc in this case :wink:

1 Like

It accepted one of our cars with an old reg. but that was when the site first opened (it’s a 3 :roll_eyes:), maybe it’s changed.

There’s old and Old perhaps?

Maybe, ours is 2006 vintage I think, three numbers, three letters and the department. I preferred those old registrations actually.

@SuePJ
You are perhaps not entering the immatriculation exactly as it should be…
as described below…

Can someone tell me why the French Gouv application form for a Crtit’air vignette asks you for the vehicles Co2 g/km when the aim of the scheme is to " reduce harmful pollutants, chiefly Nox, Co, MP and HC" .? I note that a site called Explore France incorrectly states “in order to reduce Co2 levels in major French cities” . Another example of wierd french IT, the form asks you to select the Critair rating you want rather than the process telling you what you can have. But what do expect for €3,75?

As far as I can remember, you put your car registration in and maybe something else from the CG and the website tells you what you are getting .

When you get your CritAir sticker, dont forgot to ask where to put it.

4 Likes

:rofl:

Also ask how to stick it on - the instructions make no sense to me whatsoever even though I’ve read them 5 or 6 times now…

1 Like

I think it’s because that value is shown on the vehicle’s registration document (Form V5 in the UK, Carte Grise in France) and is an indication of which Euro pollution category it falls into.

Some registration docs show the Euro rating (mine don’t), or you can look it up online based on date of first registration e.g here:

There may be something similar for France, I don’t know. The dates and categories are most likely the same as this is an EU classification.

Yes I think they expect you to look up the correct rating yourself; it would be easier if there was a licence plate look-up on the form of course!

Thanks but you are going from memory. I going on what’s on the screen. It’s french logic.

But Chris, what about the Co2 box? Its not the objective. And it doent matter what value you put in if you can find one. Same with the evidence. I sent an old dutch rego with no emission info and still got a sticker.