Damned COVID Statistics

To digress from this spat, an area of the data that interests me is :

Une fracture vaccinale se dessine entre le Nord et le Sud de la France

Une étude de la Fondation Jean-Jaurès met en lumière une France coupée en deux, entre un axe allant du sud de l’Alsace aux Pyrénées. Modes de vie néoruraux, histoire rebelle et opinions antisystèmes sont cités pour expliquer la couverture vaccinale moindre dans le Sud de la France, illustrant la diversité des profils des réfractaires au vaccin.

This is full article, but might be behind a paywall as we subscribe…

@JaneJones seems to be fine past the initial bits to sign your life away…

1 Like

Don’t wholly disagree with the article’s points, but question its authors’ reasoning because while briefly mentioning the possible role of tourists visiting Med depts, they omit to consider that there are currently similarly high figures in the Atlantic facing depts. And of course figures for the Ile de France have dropped.

correspondingly?

Last time I looked, there had been a crossover in the colour coding of the respective depts / regions. Also consider my earlier post about the Aveyron having a relatively low incidence, despite being one of the most popular depts this year - middle aged tourists in camper vans - are not usually night clubbers(not that we’ve got any boites!)

2 Likes

That’s great, I live in the white bit​:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Some of these maps are interactive and one can see the actual numbers; because the Aveyron is sparsely populated, it only takes a few positive tests to affect the stats. Can’t find one with very recent figures.

It’s not a statistically valid argument, but since the pandemic began, only two friends have tested positive and they contracted it on a visit to Plague Island…

So do they!

So interesting Jane - good post!
The co-incidence with some Rassemblement National voting areas leaped out - very relevent to the pro-brexi/anti-vax link thread.
But like Mark I don’t think all the analysis is convincing - Brittany is home to more alternative-lifestylers (if you look for example at the relative strength of green party votes) - but also high vaccine take-up.

Below is a link to the interactive map I mentioned above, masses of stats, charts and graphs for each dept (tho’ maybe not enough for pros like Geof!)

https://covidtracker.fr/dashboard-departements/?dep=12

1 Like

Interesting analysis of the difference between UK and and Continental pandemic strategies…

UK cases over 40,000 again yesterday.

Interesting they give only daily infection and death statistics but not cumulative numbers for these categories.

You can get the cumulative figures on sites like Covid-19 Date Explorer, Worldometer, etc.
UK cases are just over 8 million now (France 7 million):

And cumulative deaths:

Whilst the stats are all focusing on Covid which is now endemic in most countries. They should be balanced with the data from other main causes of death, heart attacks, strokes, cancer etc. It seems a lot of people do not realise how many people die each day from other causes.

2 Likes

Or will due from those same causes because they have either, been too afraid to go and see their GP for an initial diagnosis, or put on a waiting list.

Indeed, by releasing other data it should be possible to evaluate this although it would be historic.
In the wrong hands covid is a perfect way of introducing draconian powers to control the population, retaining a climate of fear.

I also think it it the GP’s who are too afraid to see their patients, impressed with France which has precautions but still treating people, I know serious cancer patients are seen in London not sure about other regions but trying to see a GP is nigh on impossible.

1 Like

My daughter lives in Shropshire and saw an oncologist very quickly a few months ago. Received appointment letter Tuesday, appointment Thursday. Fortunately it wasn’t cancer.

3 Likes

Thats good to hear,

My cousin in Hertfordshire was diagnosed since Covid and was referred under the NHS to a private facility for treatment.