Declaring Income - what is Income? - 2019

Obviously, you need to declare now… what you have received … now…

if in any doubt… talk with your Tax Folk…

Ooh this is intriguing! How do you know ? Link to article/ source if possible please? Ta XX
… there are already moves afoot to identify visitors/holidaymakers and permanent-folk within Communes across France.

1 Like

We recently completed the INSEE 2019 census - we are in 24 - Usual questions, what nationality were we, how many lived in the house, did we work, was it our primary property, how was it heated etc etc.

Reading about it, apparently it will involve a selection of 9 million of the population - they know about us now :slight_smile:

Arrived in December 2018 so nothing to hide or be scared of.

1 Like

Ha ha… nothing underhand… started with getting the Electoral Roll up to date…

Then, of course, it’s the 2nd home v Residence… where these are charged different rates… etc

In some areas, rubbish collection is being reorganized. Various options up for discussion and decisions by local councils… on how to charge folk for what they throw away.

Our village is looking at the Tag which will open the bin and weigh what you put in… another options is blanket charge depending on the TFonciere/value of the property… the council is planning to discuss with Residents, but needs to know who the Residents are… :thinking: 2nd homes may be given their own Bin to fill and leave outside (for weighing and emptying)…

Quite possibly 2nd homes will be disadvantaged… who knows… but, if any doubt on who to charge … I reckon Declaration of Impot will be asked for…to show a home is Residence…

once this all links in… folk will be asking why a vehicle is still on UK plates… oooops

Folk I was chatting with last weekend… think UK is like a spoilt child… stamping its foot and making demands… where it has no right to do so. I would not be surprised if there were some backlash when this is all over… as the majority of French folk are very pleased to have us… but (whilst they may bend the rules themselves) they will not appreciate any Brits taking the p**s :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I was non resident of EU and did not write the book in France or U.K. I was not liable for tax anywhere. Forgot to say in original post.

What a world it’s coming to, where we call lies “alternative facts”, and breaking the law, “choosing to do things differently” to try and qconfuse people’s moral compasses

If only all things in life were a straight choice between right and wrong our moral sat nat would never have any difficulty with steering us in the right direction.

But it will matter where you are Resident, when you receive the money…

Income is “money coming in” … and you will need to include it in any Declaration you make for the year it “came in”… and if it means rectifying a previous Declaration… that is not difficult.

Is that actually possible?

3 Likes

@PeterJ. Aren’t the INSEE census results anonimised? I thought I read somewhere that they are for population statistical analaysis etc, so although you give your name & address this goes no further so your return only linked to a commune. So yes they could know that there are x foreign nationals in commune y, but not who precisely they are.

In France it is not allowed to survey people’s race or religion, so information that we would consider normal isn’t available here.

1 Like

Sadly one doesn’t have to look far to see people who do have a straight choice in front of them between doing the right thing and doing the wrong thing, but who do everything they can to muddy the waters and introduce artificial complications and skew the picture and refuse to see what’s plain enough to see if you look at it objectively, in order to try to justify why they chose to what they perceived as most beneficial to them even though it was not actually the right thing to do. “Me-me-me” often proves too powerful magnet for a moral compass that isn’t very strong in the first place.

4 Likes

When I went to work abroad 40 years ago that certainly was possible, Graham Lees

Thanks, Stella, sounds sensible. But will not be possible to rectify back to when it was due.

@fayjay

Fay…

How many years ago did you actually receive the money ?

I guess if you declared the income then (even if you weren’t paid it) then perhaps no but if you didn’t declare it then perhaps yes. But aren’t there special arrangements for the tax position on writers, artists and the like?

but not in these more ‘enlightened’ times eh? :wink:

I am not sure Jane, nothing to hide so I have no issue if it’s not anonymised.
It’s only those hiding from something that need to fear the information being used sensibly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did not know that word existed… but Yes… the INSEE stuff IS “anonymised”. :sunglasses:

Thanks, Graham, I will enquire into that!

This one, 2019!

Easy then - as a French resident you need to declare it next spring 2020! When the work was carried out or the book published is irrelevant. The clue is in the word ‘income’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Edit: Or…you can opt for a prélèvement forfaitaire libératoire and immediate payment of the tax due - up to you. If it’s a large amount I’d take pro advice…)

1 Like