Declaring Income - what is Income? - 2019

I can’t follow this one - muddy waters again, I think.

yes but the original post said that these particular royalties were “owing… in 1996”. If it’s a case of staggeringly late overdue payment, wouldn’t it still be taxable in the same way as if it had been paid on time?
Eg if you do work in country X in year N taxable in country X, but the bill isn’t paid, then you move to country Y in year N+2, and the bill is finally paid in year N+3, I think it would still be taxable in country X even though you no longer live there. Once the tax liability is incurred, it doesn’t change.
It does need to be declared in France as part of worldwide income, but that doesn’t necessarily make it taxable in France.

Anna - as we know, the country where the work was physically carried out (or wages etc paid) has first dibs on any tax due. After that the double taxation treaties, tax credits etc come into play. IMO this whole situation is being over complicated by the recipient. Income received this year - either declare and pay now or wait until next spring.

1 Like

If you have received the money this year… then you definitely need to speak with the Tax officials… since, on the face of it… no matter when the work/book or whatever was done… this year, your income includes this sum.

the tax folk are really nice… have a chat and they will sort it out…

1 Like

It’s pretty standard world wide for census information to be anonymised, as otherwise people would be reluctant to participate. Not just because they might have done something wrong, but many people just don’t like their details known. For example, the UK census includes religion and with the degree of anti-semitism right now I think people could be apprehensive if any mad anti-semite could just look up the addresses of all the local jews.

1 Like

Denounce him. He is a menace to us all.

1 Like

@fayjay

Fay, I admit to being intrigued… you had a book published in 1990 and did not get the money until now… ??? !!! …

How on earth do authors manage to live with such a crazy payment system… ???

It was 1996 that it was published and not in English! Q.E.D.

Fay… surely foreign publications earn something for their author ???

let’s hope your Tax folk sort it out to your satisfaction…

If you are going to fudge the figures… for heaven’s sake don’t make it obvious… :rofl::upside_down_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth::angry:

People are watching you, especially the Postie’s!

People are certainly aware of what is going on around them… :hushed: :upside_down_face: far more than most folk realize.

Is this the post where someone said declare writing books as ‘artworks’ and I am now in the soup because they are charging me EU 40,000 (fifty thousand EU). Been trying to find a Bilingual accountant to help. Seem in short supply. I wrote myself t say I made an expanse and they are asking for the Accountants name. Did not have on only one of those assisstance people. My French is not excellent.

Fay, did you go to your local Tax Office to speak with the officials there about your situation??

Such a course of action was recommended back in February… :thinking:

Who are you talking about, Fay… who is “they” and what are the charges, how are they defined ???

… and how does 40,000 = fifty thousand?

Thanks, Stella, thought I had done the correct way! I cannot get physically to the local office. Action in Feb said I should state (Artworks) Did not take note of who said that except it was a man!

Seems to me you do need to whatever it takes to physically get to a Tax Office (wherever) and discuss things carefully with them.

Unless you have earned a fortune, the figures you are being charged seem somewhat excessive… :thinking:

As far as I know you can’t declare your own self employed business profit and loss accounts, they must be done by a qualified accountant. This could be where the confusion has arisen.

And if you were doing it in February you presumably had also missed the tax deadline so there might be an element of penalty as well? And

According to what we have been told, the money was paid over to Fay this year, 2019… although the work was done some 20 years ago…:thinking: All that makes it a very difficult case for us to help with, I reckon. Something for the Tax Officers to discuss with Fay.

It may well be there has been a misunderstanding - or not. Who knows.

Thanks for your input Jane, I am not really a self-employed business and never said so. I employed an agent to help apply my new tax application she was described as Conseil
en relations publiques et communication,. She was a bit late but wrote this:

However, the DGFIP have been making errors and so they have moved the deadline to the 6th so there wi be no penalties. We do need your online logins to do the déclaration and
we also need the actual figures for your UK pension in 2018. Please stipulate if they are in stering or euros.

And further said after I had said it was an old debt and before I was even liable to any country of taxes etc.

The message exceptionnel is the place on the déclaration where you can describe the history of a particular source of income which is
what I have done.

I am waiting for an answer from her if she can recommend an accountant. Every query takes time.

Is there a deadline for appeals?

I also have now got an Auto-correct thing.

Regards

Get a proper accountant and in any case go and see the tax people yourself.

1 Like