Declaring your Income

Presumably you must have some income, or you would not have been able to access health services. So although the income you have may not attract french tax, you still have to declare it.

However you need to get your skates on…these are the deadlines

Date limite de dépôt de la déclaration 2018 de revenus 2017, version papier (y compris pour les résidents à l’étranger) 17 mai 2018. Si vous déclarez par internet, vous disposez d’un délai supplémentaire jusqu’au 22 mai, 29 mai ou 5 juin 2018 selon le numéro de votre département.

Just a few days left Vanessa and the tax office will be heaving with people until the deadline (17 May for paper declarations). Take every bit of paper you have that has details of any income in France and the UK from June to December 2017 as well as your passport and a couple of utility bills. You will also need to supply details of all bank accounts and life assurance policies.

I suggest you also take a flask and a sandwich and be prepared for a long wait.

Best of luck.

HI

I set myself up as an ae but unfortunately I broke my femur and arm 3 months ago and still cant walk properly so sadly have not been able to work as had hoped to by now…

Thanks for the info/

kind regards

Vanessa

Hi Stella.
I am pesting as usual and since we are going to the Tax Office on Monday to register for the first time, I am correct in thinking I need forms 2042, 2047 & 3916. We arrived here March 2017, and the local tax office confirmed that we register with ‘paper’ for the first time. We only have my husbands govt pension as income.
What other paper do I need with me on Monday - as in passports, utility bills - should I bring bank statements from our UK and French accounts too? Any other little snippet of info would be much appreciated. Merci d’avance.
(I’m sorry I know this may have been asked before but I have a very disobedient laptop which will not scroll on command, and neither is it letting me save PDFs of the forms I need from your very helpful links…! Plus my French isn’t brilliant just yet, but the staff at the Tax office are v helpful. I know I am close to the deadline so I just want to be as accurate as possible on Monday.)

Hi Daisy…

You listed the forms and others will chime in if I forget something… (years ago I did include things like Birth/Marriage certs… but can’t remember if needed or not…

Anyway… for both of you, as this will be a “family declaration”

Passport (identification)
Proof of where you live
Bank statements (details/proof of your Accounts in UK and France)
Paperwork to show any income and their source ie P60, payslips or whatever…

So, let me recap… who you are, where you live, what you’ve got…and where it comes from…

@anon88888878 can you think of anything I have forgotten ?? :thinking:

cheers

2 Likes

I think the only other thing is to make sure you declare any life assurance policies.

Oh, and if you have sold/gifted any assets that may be subject to French capital gains tax.

2 Likes

Stella / Mandy - you’ve got it covered ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not quite Simon… if the office is busy (being so close to the deadline) you might need to take a book to read… a big book perhaps :rofl:

4 Likes

Thank you so much. So much for proofreading… it shows I must be thinking in French when I typed… ‘I am correct…’ I did mean am I correct, or else forgot the ? lols.
Anyhow thank you all so much for your help. As always I don’t feel like a fool or an empty headed plank in asking a question on SF. You are ever so kind. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Hi Stella,
Do you understand the student exoneration limits please? My daughter earned just above (4547€) the exoneration amount (4441€) and I am confused as to whether I fill in the ‘difference’ between the amounts or whether I fill in the whole amount. Last year she earned under the threshold and the tax office told me not to put anything at all in the box.
Thank you for your help
Julia

Hi Julia… first thing… I am no tax expert… what does the “box” ask for… ??

When I complete my Declaration… I put my full figures in … it is the Tax Office who put the Allowances into the calculation… but I am retired, not a student…:wink:

Checkout the documents that give additional information to help completing the Declaration and, if all else fails… ask the Tax Office…

Anyone else want to chime in on this one?? @vero you have student kids… any input ???

1 Like

Thank you so much. The notice and the forms do not answer this question. I have been ringing and ringing the tax office, and they FINALLY replied. So here is what the Tax man just said:-
ONLY fill in the difference between the exonerated amount (4441€) and the earned amount. Therefore i only have to fill in 106€.
TBH I would probably have gone with filling in the whole amount and letting them do the calculation, so i would’ve been wrong.
Thank you for your speedy reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent… thanks so much for letting us know the outcome… :relaxed: