Declaring your Income

Thank you for responding it was an account that I closed. It is okay I will put my return in, on paper with my new email address, I have accessed the gouv.fr system so that I can see what we may possibly have to pay, which is one of the main reasons I do the form online.

1 Like

I have been having problems as it’s my first year submitting tax returns here in France and I still have a lot of UK accounts (in the process of moving funds over, but as an ex-investment banker with a fairly large portfolio, it’s not that easy).

So we rang Dreux tax office. And to my great surprise, I got one and a half hours with a charming and helpful taxman, who asked me questions about my investments and my business, and pencilled in every box he thinks I’ll need to fill in, besides putting a line through the sections that don’t apply. He’s also printed out the supplementary forms which I need to fill in, and pointed out that for a couple of information sections I can provide a spreadsheet or word document rather than filling in 19 of the same form (for different bank/brokers’ accounts).

Not every tax office will be as helpful. But I really appreciated this service, so if in doubt, pick up the phone, or walk in (NB there was a queue of about 15 people at 3 in the afternoon: we were glad we’d made an appointment).

Andrea…

From the very first time… I have been impressed by just how friendly, helpful and understanding the Tax folk are.

I have visited various Offices in different Departments and they are all the same.

This has been my experience over the years, whether for myself or for others… the Staff want things to go smoothly and do their utmost to see that it does… :relaxed:

Hello People

I’ve only just found this site so this is my first post (apart from the training ones)
The tone and advice seem to be kindly and helpful, which is a great relief as I’m feeling rather isolated at the moment.

I’ve been putting my head resolutely in the sand since the arrival of my tax return this year. I did one for my part-year last year with the help of the delightful departmental tax people but I need to get going with this one pretty pronto. :worried:

I found a post on another thread for last year linking to an annualised exchange rate from Insee to use but I couldn’t work my way round the website to find one for this year. Could some kind person help please?

Thank you so much

Here you go:

https://www.insee.fr/fr/statistiques/2381462#tableau-Donnees

1 Like

My goodness, Simon - that was fast!

Thank you so much - it’s very reassuring to know that there is support here :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi Angela… Welcome to our fast and friendly forum… :relaxed:

1 Like

Hi Stella

Thank you so much for your lovely welcome! I think I’m going to like it here (and may even start feeling less daunted :rofl: )

1 Like

We all feel daunted from time to time… but it can help to learn that you are not alone with whatever situation is causing you concern…

Just check out the Threads … and join in as and when you feel like it.

Cheers…

:relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks Stella!

There are some interesting threads here - I’ve started exploring and already have found useful information on lime mortar :slightly_smiling_face:

Am now off to try and register on-line for this year’s tax return, armed with the knowledge that people are around to help if I get stuck!

and don’t forget… if on-line is too difficult… pop to the Tax Office with all the bumpf… they would rather help you, than have to sort out errors later down the line… :upside_down_face:

That makes sense, Stella - thank you!

Sorry, I may be too late to help but I’ve just completed our tax return and I’m not sure this is necessarily correct Stella.

Our tax return has been pre-filled by the tax office and the amount shown as imposable for my salary is not the same as the gross amount. Having checked my payslips there is a section at the bottom that shows the salarie brut, then charges salariales and then the net imposable. The amount shown on the tax form is the net imposable.

However, it’s not clear what type of income @POWERPACK is referring to as payslip can obviously be for a UK pension/salary as well as a French salary. If George is referring to a UK source income then just ignore me, if it’s French income then check your payslips for the amount shown as net imposable.

I hope this is clear :thinking::exploding_head::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Hello Mandy, Thanks for the message. I have completed my tax return online. I work in Monaco, but they also use the term net imposable on their pay slips, so this is what I used after speaking to some colleagues at work as well as a help sheet I bought from Connexion France.

1 Like

Hi Mandy … :upside_down_face:

The amount shown as “Imposable” will not be the same as the gross amount unless you have absolutely no Discounts (for age/personal allowance etc).

The Tax Office take the Gross Amount you Declare and deduct certain abatements etc… then add in other monies/revenue from wherever…which gives Revenu Brut Global…

and from that figure they make further adjustments… finally arriving at : Revenu Imposable :relaxed:

Then they look at the figure for Revenu Imposable and decide how much TAX you have to pay… (or not) :upside_down_face::wink:

I’ve just read this lot on my own Declaration Avis… maybe others are dealt with differently.

Oh good. I’m glad you resolved the issue.

Hi Stella

I guess this particular point is specific to employment income which has the social charges deducted from it so that you receive the net amount. It’s clear from the pre-filled form that the amount to be declared is the net imposable (ie after social charges) not the gross amount.

French tax makes my head hurt :exploding_head:

1 Like

And, of course… anyone and everyone… can ask at their Tax Office… if they have any doubts about what goes where and what should be declared etc etc…

Tax Folk are there to help and would rather get things done correctly than have all the hassle of chasing/making corrections at a later date.

:relaxed:

1 Like

Hi, i just have a quick question, my husband had an accident du travail, and was paid whilst off work, it wasnt a large amount, and we received a ‘releve de prestations 2017’ in the mail. Can someone tell me where on the form i put in the amounts for: montant a declarer au centre des impots (133), and montant a declarer a votre Caf en fin d’annee ou a tout autre organisme versant des prestations familiales (267). This is our first time doing this and unfortunately are in scotland so cant go into our extremely helpful tax office. This is the only bit i am stuck on. Thanks. Carol.

Hi

we arrived in France last June and are not retired nor worked to date, however I assume we will need to go to the local tax office regarding a tax return. What info will we need to take and what is the deadline?

Thanks