Decoding ordonnance

Hi

My doctor has written I think AR 3 fois. Is this arrêt 3 times?

“à renouveler” - repeat prescription

2 Likes

No, it’s a remplir 3 times, i.e. to be refilled 3 times. So you use the same ordnance to take to the pharmacy on 3 occasions to obtain the same medication. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Right so that’s for a maximum of 3 times?

https://www.ameli.fr/assure/sante/medicaments/utiliser-recycler-medicaments/lire-ordonnance-medicaments

From the description it seems that latin abbreviations favoured by British or US doctors (eg OD=once a day from “omni die”) are not used?

yep… Visits to the pharmacy… then you’ll need to get a new Prescription from your Doctor…

Most pharmacies will stamp and date the prescription document, to show it being filled… thus it is easy to keep track… “3 times and … you’re out” :wink: they’ll often tell you that you’ll need a new scrip next time… when giving out the last lot…

Do you have a problem ??? can we help ???

If in doubt, ask at the pharmacy if the Prescription is still “good”…

Might be the right thread for everyone to stop and think…
and ensure that one knows all about what is being prescribed…
how to take it, how long to take it… etc etc

The Pharmacy is a mine of information if one is in any doubt… and can’t get to see the Doc for a chat…

1 Like

Over time, if things are stable, once your doctor is happy with you, you may find he’ll let you have a 6-monthly scrip. OH has for his blood pressure tabs.
You may also find that, if you always go to the same pharmacy, if you forget to renew (after 3 months it can be easy to forget to make an appointment with the doc) they will nevertheless give you your medicaments on the understanding you come back with a new prescription asap. OH done that more than once.

1 Like

Doesn’t it mean 3 renewals, so 4 times in all?

No, because the first time you use your prescription is the first time they will stamp it - so two more occasions after that (ie 3 in total)

Frankly… I suggest checking with the Pharmacist… unless the Doc is easier to contact…

over and out…

:wink:

Welcome Snowdrop, but may I gently point out that that is what @RicePudding said, so what you said was correct, apart from the word ‘No’. :wink: :smiley:

I get my montelukast prescribed for 12 months at a time, but it probably isn’t a very significant sort of drug.

Why would we use them, French is New Improved Latin after all :wink:

3 Likes

Because if your doctor writes “un, deux fois par jour” then there is a danger that you will understand what they are saying and the whole process will be demystified leaving you with no confidence in their abilities.

After all the medical profession started out being completely useless at curing almost everything but worked on the principle that if they just described your symptoms in latin you, as a member of the great uneducated and unwashed masses, would be mightily impressed, doff your cap, and part with what few farthings you had for a useless bottle of medicine (which was probably opium).

1 Like

Smith’s Glyco-Heroin Cough Mixture is what you need - cures everything. :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, Heroin - that well known cure for asthma :crazy_face:

Diacetylmorphine - trade name Heroin - was originally invented/marketed as an non-addictive, safe, version of morphine - which seems to be the epitome of hope over reality because it is just as addictive if not more so.

I’m sure it would improve respiratory symptoms  as opiates are not only powerful pain killers but they are pretty good at suppressing troublesome coughs as well - hence the widespread use of codeine linctus for that purpose once morphine fell out of favour.

We’re too wussy to even allow codeine linctus in the UK now though - it’s been withdrawn (along with pholcodeine) unless you have a prescription.

I disagree, having had experience of both drugs. A long time ago, I found smoking heroin genuinely unpleasant and (like most people) would certainly not want to experience it again, whereas getting morphine injections (in hospital after fracturing my skull) was wonderful, but even in a reduced state of consciousness, I thought this is lovely stuff, but very dangerously lovely.

Opium should be far more addictive because it’s far more pleasant than either of the above, yet it’s harder to get addicted and of course it’s comparatively rare in the West and there’s more money turning it into other more unpleasant things.

Incidentally, haven’t had any of the above for about forty years and believe that most people don’t have the potential or circumstances to become addicted. And that’s despite morphine and opium being very nice!

Edgy SF post!

1 Like

Think I’ll stick to Actifed :wink:

Surely you would need compare like for like in terms of drug and route of administration?

I used to have a tincture of heroin as a kid. Worked a treat. (My father hated his children being in pain and went directly to heavy duty treatments to stop us crying)