Delays in processing requests for carte de sejour

I have been in France since 1969 but have never taken French nationality. I have a permanent European Carte de Séjour and have made the necessary request for a Carte de Resident. I repeat a “Carte de Resident “ I have recently received a mail indicating that I will receive by mail or post an indication as to when I should go to the Prefecture or sous-Prefecture to obtain my Carte de Resident which will be valid for 10 years renewable.
I think that possibly a part of your problem is that you are requesting a Carte de Séjour and not a Carte Resident…

I get your 'ed down…incoming flak.

Overall they are Titres de Séjour (written along the top), and the specific titres that people are requesting is the carte de résident (appears further down). There are many different types of titres de séjour. But anyway, I think a préfecture would know what a British person is asking for!

2 Likes

There is only one card, they are all the same thing but different names are used - carte de sejour, carte de residence, titre de sejour.

2 Likes

@toryroo
For reference purposes
Applied for our CdS-WA in October 2020 and received notification today that our « residence permit » request has been processed by the préfecture (Angoulême Dept 16) and will be produced in approximately 2 months. It will be mailed directly to our home. The email provides a number GED for future procedures.

2 Likes

Plague Island - ha ha good label except for the tragedy of it all in ‘Boris-the-Clown’ land.

Oh dear, what happened to my Old Dart / Albion / Blighty while I looked away for a few years…

1 Like

Nothing on the horizon here in 71.

Been to the Préfecture in Bordeaux this morning. There was a small wait of 20 minutes but the process then took about 10 minutes. The clerk did not request financial details, but had in the email - so we handed the big dossier to them.

Apparently we should receive cards in 6 weeks if all OK.

The building was not quite up to the normal level of beautiful buildings in Bordeaux.

2 Likes

In January 2018 there were estimated 145,000 Brits in France. Has anyone got any different figure? How big is the task that faces the French state to issue all these WA residents cards?

It might make a difference as if un familiar name for the card is in the email title the email might get passed by.

Yes and no, even on the card itself it says:
‘Titre de sejour’ at the top adn ‘Carte de Sejour’ at the bottom!

my email was entitled “Réponse à votre courrier du 19-10-2020”
No mention of the carte but "titre de séjour " in the body of the text.
The clue may be in the sender ID :wink:

Insee estimated 148k in 2016. I imagine that might have risen by a few thousand in last 4 years since referendum. However i also imagine this is an underestimate of actual British people as may not pick up all those who have taken french nationality - depends what data set they used for the estimate. And naturalisations could add or subtract a good few, around 3,000 a year.

There’s a post on Twitter by a group called Remain In France Together where they’re asking for people to post whether they’ve applied, got a rdv, received the CdS, etc…

I asked my boss and she said that they are working on there being 150,000. 10,000 in the Dordogne.

There we are, the Brexit dividend finally! We will know how many British live in european countries. Really important to know!

2 Likes

The RIFT survey yesterday suggested that there had been well over 220,000 applications so far…

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: clearly a hell of a lot more here than they though then! Must be all the holiday house owners :wink:

That’s very interesting. We were sure that there were a great many more in Manche than would seem proportionate to 150,000 and there seem to be very many, mainly elderly, who’ve been here forever and live out in the sticks and probably haven’t been counted because there was no need.

I often wonder how British long term residents in France have managed to avoid the censuses ? Even people living out in the sticks get a visit.