Demystifying French Meat Cuts from Taste of Savoie

FRENCH CUTS OF MEAT
I’ve been putting together this blog post for a while and hope that it will help in demystifying the French cuts of meat when comparing them to English cuts!
Let me know if this is helpful and any cuts you think I’ve left out

French Meat Cuts

4 Likes

Hi, you’ve posted this twice, I’m going to delete one for you :slight_smile:

Hi James

I’m sorry I wasn’t sure whether I’d done it in two categories or one was a tag! Also not sure which was the best place to post it.

Thank you Caro

1 Like

This looks good to me :slight_smile:
You can add as many tags as you like, only one category though

1 Like

Hi James
How do you add new tags? I tried adding one and creating but it didn’t seem to work?

I think this guide is very helpful indeed and I shall print it out for reference when shoppiing out for meat.

Many thanks and the illustrations are marvellous too!

3 Likes

I’m not sure you can edit now but you did initially add one for #food

If you want more, let me know and i’ll add them for you :slight_smile:

I had a crack at this a few years ago, not anything like as comprehensive as yours though!

Thank you, I’m so pleased that you will find this guide useful

1 Like

The rib on the bone is cote de boeuf I believe. I’ll have a look at the image and see what else I know!

2 Likes

There are some cuts that don’t translate accurately but if you look at my Beef diagram and compare it to your image this is what I’ve come up with - hope this helps!

Basse Cote is like Silverside

Top side and top rump - Gîte à la noix, rond de gîte

A - Leg of beef - Gîte (Jarret arrière)

Wing Rib – Cote de Boeuf

1 Like

Tastiest bit IMO :yum:

1 Like

I too will be printing this. It’s just what I needed for shopping for fresh meat.

2 Likes

Great thank you! very pleased my guide will be useful.

1 Like

Excellent, Caroline… very useful :relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Thank you for this post. It helps a lot for us newbies!!
Do you know what tri-tip is? This is favorite cut of mine in the US. But I’ve never found it in the U.K. or France. The closest I’ve found is sirloin capon the USA not the same cut in the U.K.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you - I’m pleased you like the post. I think the closest thing to tri tip would be a bavette. It seems to be the bottom part of the sirloin (No. 22 on my beef diagram) Looking at photos it looks like it is cut like a Bavette

What no araignée ? :wink: I think this must be very useful for you since cuts are fairly different in different countries - in Spain an entrecôte isn’t at all what we expect in France and where I am now in Germany things are different again.
Very amused to see the definition of ‘à point’ - for us it is the final level of cooking, there is nothing beyond bar cinders.

4 Likes

Yes, it seems the cuts are different in most countries! what do you mean araignée? as in spiders?? haven’t seen many of them on a French menu! :flushed: