Demystifying French Meat Cuts from Taste of Savoie

http://agriculture.gouv.fr/flanchet-araignee-collier-connaissez-vous-les-morceaux-de-viande

Along with onglet and hampe, one of my favourite bits of a beef animal :blush:

2 Likes

Is araignée a cut of veal?

I have only seen it as beef but I don’t see why not.

Getting the araignée is one of the many reasons for being pals with a good butcher :grin:

2 Likes

“Even” in England butchers like to have customers who appreciate the skill and craft they bring to their metier, and there are still some customers who ask the butcher’s advice on preparation and cooking, or request special cuts.

Sadly, they are going out of business as people increasingly believe that chops grow on trees, and that sausages are the off-spring of pigs, who lay them as hens lay eggs, if indeed that’s where eggs come from. Maybe they are spawned in the Internet “Cloud”, and hen’s eggs are fake news.

1 Like

I’m not aware of this cut but on researching it - it seems to be a cut from the rump - in a spider cut shape! I’ll look out for this!

Let me know if you find a cut the dog won’t eat. She has just stolen the remains of a filet of beef which we had for lunch!

4 Likes

It is a bit where several differently oriented lots of fibres meet, looks fairly messy but it is delicious. You need to ask the butcher for it, they keep them for themselves, usually.

1 Like

I’m going to ask my butcher for this cut, it definitely sounds worth trying - thank you.

Whoops! Little monkey…

Not so little 65k don’t think it even touched the sides on the way down.

2 Likes

My grandparents’ deerhound had a passion for butter and took it off the table to eat at leisure in his basket (so they used silver butter dishes because of breakages) but it couldn’t be counted as stealing because it was under his nose.

3 Likes

Mine’s a Wolfhound. To be fair she usually sits and waits but occasionally gets the munchies and does a bit of counter surfing.scones

7 Likes

Too sweet :heart:

1 Like

I love Wolfhounds, they are so gentle with people and intelligent too.
There is a Medieval Fete held at Crozant (23) every summer and these smart boys caught my eye …

4 Likes

Lovely!

1 Like

This guy does Medieval festivals mainly in the north.

1 Like

She’s gorgeous…x :slight_smile:

Thank you Caroline.

1 Like

Just found this post. Will be very helpful when shopping at the butchers. After living in several countries, I have sometimes resorted in taking a chart with me and photos to discuss the cut I wanted.

1 Like