Dental work in Hungary

I am a new member, I have lived in the dept Lande since 2004, I no longer work but have plenty of interests and hobbies to keep me occupied , we are blessed with many kilometers of cycle paths and manage to cycle most days throughout the year. This will be my first topic. I am thinking of going to Hungary to get some dental work done, this will involve several crowns. I have had a devis from a dentist close to my home, which is in the thousands, I cannot afford this, as you get so little back from CPAM and even less from my mutuelle , so have been considering going overseas as I have heard there can be good savings made. Have any members taken this route, and what have been their experiences.

Hi - I know a couple who go to Belgium for dental treatment and it’s also quite common for folks along the Spanish border to pop over for treatment. Both countries apparently lots cheaper than France (or the UK for that matter) and great quality work. No specifics but may be worth investigating. Good luck :slight_smile:

About six years ago my husband I went to Krakow to get our mercury fillings removed and replaced with white fillings. American-trained dentist, high standard of work. For both of us, plus flights and four star hotel, it worked out about the cost of having four fillings done in France. Really, I kid you not. All over Krakow there are cosmetic surgeries and fertility clinics and people come from far and wide. We had used the services of a UK-based agency to sort this out and had sent Xrays beforehand. Dental treatment in France is expensive, we have an excellent dentist here but he couldn’t compete with the prices.

Hi there…
I can not comment on Hungary but U have my dental work done in Greece, very competitive and a brilliant dentist who over the last 5 years we have got to know very well…
Flight to Kalamata is cheap also…
If you do want more details let me know.

1 Like

Hi Simon, many thanks for your advice. I live about an hour’s drive from the Spanish border so I think it will pay me to take this route first. Our nearest big town is San Sebastián, although it’s a very expensive area, but worth a try.

Hi Sandy, many thanks for your reply. I realise your dental trip was several years ago but would you happen to have the name of the Agency or Dentist involved.

Hi Haydn, I’m very interested to know more details regarding your Greek Dentist and where you fly from. I must admit Greece seems a lot more attractive than Hungary, especially this time of year! Many thanks.

1 Like

Good morning Roy…

OK., I actually drive to Greek (ferry from Ancona or Venice in Italy) however flights to Kalamata (which is a nice small airport)
are from Lyon & Paris. (but Lyon can be a bit seasonal). Of course flights into Athens are far more…
Athens is just under 3 hours drive from Kalamata, now all on a new motorway link, so very easy and again even though

Athens airport is a major airport it’s really pleasant and in comparison to UK airports so quiet.
Buses are also available from Athens to Kalamata.

Now the dentist I have used for some years (I used to live in Greece) is a lady called Άσπα Ρισβάνη-Μαρκάκη
in English ASPA RISVANI.
She speaks excellent English and her surgery is first class, ultra modern equipment.
Her phone number is Greece (0030) 27210 20014

The surgery is in the centre of Kalamata. I can send you directions if necessary.
She does have a Facebook page at:- https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011459016558

Now as to costs, first of all the price paid covers the work done, no matter how many appointments it

takes, you do not pay per appointment. I have had crowns & bridge done there, options of metal base

or ceramic / composite, obviously I chose the latter as it far superior. From memory an extraction is around

50 euro, crowns were around 250 euro, but you need to check my facts on that…

If you did consider Greece make sure you ask the time period for the treatment, saying you want it done

over a short time period (if you do), as from experience Aspa likes to leave a week between various major procedures

to ensure actions are 100%, gums settled etc.

regards

Haydn

Blog: http://greek-dog-rosie.blogspot.com/

I’m really grateful Haydn for all your info, it’s been invaluable. In fact, I’ve spent most of the morning checking flights and accommodation. Flights don’t start from Paris CDG to Kalamata until April, that’s with Aegean Airlines. I would have preferred earlier but that will work ok, plus the added benefit of better weather. We’ll probably go for a month and rent somewhere as I need replacement crowns top and bottom. I’ll phone Dr Risvani and go from there.
Once again, many thanks for all your help.
ps. Love the Rosie blog!

At our French dentist recently, metallic crown €270 less CPAM and Mutuelle refunds of €107.50 = €162.50; ceramic crown €490 less CPAM and Mutuelle refunds of €107.50 = €382.50. Cost of round-trip travel: €4.50! Time between making an appointment and the appointment itself: four business days. Result: perfect.

2 Likes

Hi Lee, thanks for your reply. My quote for a group of 5, made up of 3 crowns and 2 bridges, which is to replace the crowns previously inserted by the same dentist approx 3/4 years ago, amount to €4,216. Reimbursement from CPAM and Mutuelle total €537.50 leaving a total of €3,678.50 to pay. Incidentally, this isn’t the most expensive dentist in our area. Hence the reason for shopping abroad. I would add that you are very fortunate to live near a very considerate dentist.

It might be a bit of a red herring but the last dentist that I had when I lived in Germany suggested that, if I was going to have some serious dental work carried out in the future, I should investigate Manchester as the dentists there were competitively priced. He knew that I was not intending to return to live in the U.K. so it was not given as a convenient option.

Hi Roy, I think our dentist is rare as, instead of waiting weeks, or even months, to get an appointment with others, he seems to be available quickly; and that was a bit of a worry for us at the beginning as we wondered why! Anyway, I wish you well with your dental work; and a trip abroad will, no doubt, enhance the experience. I look forward to reading of the success after you’re back. All the best for 2019.

Please do not go to Hungary. I went there and although what they did initially looked good it all had to be taken out several years later when it got infected.
I have an excellent dentist in Chichester who I can recommend to you for cosmetic and orthodontic work. Easy to get the ferry to Portsmouth and then short journey. www.Number45.co.uk

Hi,
We live in Dax and I know several people who go to San Sebastián for dental work as it is a lot cheaper.
I’ve also noticed that fillers and laser hair removal are a LOT cheaper there than in France (around 50%) so probably worth investigating ?

Hi David, thank you for your reply. I have decided to rule out the UK as the majority are even higher priced than in France. Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi Caroline, thank you for your reply. I’m sorry to hear of your bad experience in Hungary, as we know there’s good and bad everywhere. David Martin also suggested a town in the UK but I have ruled the UK out as costs have come out higher than in France. The upside is I get a chance to visit a new European country.

Hi Catherine, many thanks for your suggestion. We live quite close to each other, we’re in Messanges, so probably equal distance from San Sebastián as you are. It’s one of our favorite places to visit. I hadn’t give it a thought before as I thought it would be on par with France, price wise, as it is a very expensive area. However, as from tomorrow I’m definitely going to look into it. If you or your friends know names and phone numbers of any dental clinics, especially if they have used them and are happy with the results, I would be very grateful. Far better a personal recommendation than a phone book. Once again many thanks and a Happy New Year to you.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I was pleased initially with the work I had done in Hungary but it seems to be difficult to have follow up appointments - basically they just want your money. The female dentist I had left the practice so they weren’t interested in any remedial work.

I have been using my current dentist for 4 years now and if I chose to live in France full time in the future I would always continue to use him.

I now have a healthy mouth and I don’t think it worked out much more than I paid in Hungary.

Good luck with your dental work and hope you find a great dentist.

Happy New Year.

Caroline

Thank you Caroline, and a very Happy New Year to you.