Dicing with death

It was a couple of months since 'er indoors had her hair done and she, like most ladies (and gents) was beginning to look like a shaggy dog. Following more moans and groans about the current lack of coiffeurs (euses) due to the lockdown etc I took the bull by the horns and proposed I cut her hair for her !!! After the bad language had eased she kind of gave way and very tentatively agreed I should have a go.
Now, over the years i’ve done a lot of risky things but this was probably the toughest assignment. I’d never touched a ladies or gents hair with comb and scissors so I nervously tried to imaine how it’s done by reliving past haircuts.
I boldy went where not many others would dare to venture and got stuck in. She dampened the hair first insisting it would be less messy.
About fifteen minutes later I stepped back and admired my work. Deffo not the next Vidal Sassoon more like Seigfried Sassoon probably but hey, it looked ok and I left the arena a very chuffed so and so.
I followed the cut with a colouring with this organic henna stuff and awaited the verdict.
Thumbs up so far, but the shower would reveal all. Would it be brownie points or back to the doghouse ?
Result, a resounding success - 'er indoors is just a tad surprised and hasn’t wasted time sending messages & photos to family and friends.
Phew, wot a relief !!

18 Likes

Love it… well done !!!

1 Like

Cool. Another ME in the making

Now this may have worried her if you had used these words at the time.

I thought the lockdown was the perfect opportunity to abandon any attempt to keep up appearances, since the whole object of the exercise was not to meet people. So I immediately stopped shaving and look forward to taking a selfie when this is all over. Maybe I will post the picture on Facebook, so all my friends and relatives will be able to say “He isn’t looking too good!”

2 Likes

You’ll be perfect for doing the job of Pere Noël by December :grinning:

2 Likes

I think it’s going to look too ‘Ron Moody’ for that .
Anyone putting on ‘Oliver’ this year?

Nice job Peter… :slightly_smiling_face:

Looks really good. I have to cut mine soon, mine grows quickly and thickly and I don’t want to be taken to the zoo by mistake. I can’t thin mine myself though, all I can do is a trim, and last time I managed quite a good trim.

OTH, depending on the eventual length of the beard, they might say, “He’s looking a tad too Brighton hipster.”

Peter you don’t fancy tackling my dog while you’re at it do you! He is so in need of a haircut himself lol :joy:

Not another shaggy dog story ?

1 Like

I Love it too. Well done!

well done you - but I will NEVER trust my husband to do this -

I honestly never believed she would allow me to touch her precious hair but she was beginning to look like a shaggy dog.
She’s going to have a go at mine soon !

1 Like

OH has a “Remington Haircut Set” - present from our daughter. many years ago. still going strong… :rofl: :zipper_mouth_face:

Over the winter, I merely keep him “tidy” round the edges …but he likes it short, but not too short, as soon as it gets hot. He is now sporting his “summer” look since it has been hitting 30c+ here most days…

You took a MASSIVE risk to your physical well-being! With the new hair colour, ‘er indoors now matches the kitchen colour scheme… nice touch!

She’s a natural redhead and the official colour on the pack says ‘auburn’. It actually looks darker in real life.
The main thing is that she’s very happy with it plus I still have oodles of brownie points in the kitty !:+1:

I’ve just ordered one of those comb-and-razor-combination thingies (two in fact) as my hair grows very fast and I’m beginning to look unnervingly like my mother.

I had one years ago when we lived in Zambia and hairdressers were few and far between. It seemed to work well then but long hair was the style among basungu and it just needed thinning out a bit to get the bush hat on. :tophat:

There’s something of a run going on with these gadgets. I ordered two because the blades soon get blunt and dull blades can take lumps out, not that it makes much difference sartorially. :scream:

I originally bought an electric clipper when my son was a kid and wanted to go around frightening old ladies!
Started using it myself after I retired. I use the No 4 guard (the longest in the kit) but it still seems to frighten old ladies.
Then I just let it grow until it looks as if it might need combing and do it again.
Currently not bothering with haircutting or shaving and will probably wait until masks are no longer requires or they re-open the piscine.
Beginning to look like a cross between Monty Python Man and the Ancient Mariner -

4 Likes