Disappointed in French vaccine progress

I haven’t read through all these (1180) posts, so maybe it’s already been said, but it’s worth noting that EU has exported 41Million doses (10million of those to UK!). UK has exported none. US has exported none. Say no more …

5 Likes

Indeed. Good guys come last, as Bojo would say.

I wasn’t aware that the EU actually owned the doses that they’ve supposedly exported, I’d always assumed that they came from pharma companies who just happened to have factories in the EU, silly me. :grinning:

2 Likes

Actually France has sent doses of AZ vaccines it has bought and owns to other countries in need.

But yes the main movements are of course the commercial ones. But you don’t believe that Government’s haven’t been influencing this - even if not all at the level of the Trumpian outright ban on exports.

Has done or will do?

The UK has given £500 million to Covax to purchase vacinne for poorer countries. The EU (27 countries) has given €1 billion ( £866 million ) I think the UK donation is not bad for 1 country.

4 Likes

Has done I believe…this was a week or so back so reference too far down on my history, so can’t be 100% but am pretty sure.

I can’t find anywhere that says they have and in fact according to several articles the EU has put donations on hold.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/eu-puts-vaccine-donations-to-poor-countries-on-hold/2183673

EU might have, but this was a donation from France

That’s hardly a ‘pin prick’ in the scale of things. :grinning:

Just shy of 400k doses today - real progress!! :smiley:

In France ?

Where do you get this info from Paul? (not doubting your info in anyway Interested so I can check it every so often)

In this case a Twitter post (so don’t take it as gospel)

I think those 7,500 people will be happy with their pin prick…

1 Like

According to VaccinTracker 922k doses were administered from Tues-Thurs, adding in the 393k which is being reported for Friday brings the total for the last 4 days to 1.3 million.

However the UK has now overtaken France (as predicted) for the total number of people who have received two doses - as of yesterday (26th March) 3,009,863 vs 2,636,150.

3 Likes

Yippee, yesterday I was one of those 186,078 (record for France on a Sat’) getting a AZ from our wonderful doctor, and as yet absolutely no side effects…(wonder if it was a placebo!!)

3 Likes

Do not count your chicken yet. The initial reaction is from your innate non-specific immune system, so that’s all good. However it takes a couple of days for your adaptive immune system to kick into action, and that may chose to have a different reaction…mine did.

2 Likes

Bit miffed as I was talking to my sister yesterday in the UK ( she’s already had hers - 10 years younger than me ) and her OH has just had his ( he’s younger that her and a painter and decorator so in other people’s houses ) They had just called in on the off chance late on in the day on Saturday at a clinic to see if there were any vacinne available due to people not turning up for booked appointments. No problem they said- gave him his jab and then said ’ does your daughter want one as well ?’ Needless to say they accepted but were very surprised at the offer . She’s 23 with no health issues. To say I’m miffed is an understatement :frowning::disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Don’ be too miffed…it seems that things are starting to roll here too. Depending on your age etc you can get vaccines at doctors and pharmacies now. Round here it seems you only have to ask. OH (over 23 but under 70) did exactly as your sister, and got a vaccine.

I’m going to take Macron at his word and fully expect to be able to receive my first jab from the 15th of April especially as France has just received 2 extra million doses from the AZ factory in Italy and he assured the country yesterday that it will ‘catch up’ the UK within weeks.