Do you have cats or dogs? Or a husband? Or a son? Or an open fire?

For me
Do you have cats or dogs? = Yes✅
Or a husband? = No❌
Or a son? = Yes✅
Or an open fire? =Yes✅
3 out of 4 - fail!

For my wife
Do you have cats or dogs? = Yes✅
Or a husband? = Yes✅
Or a son? = Yes✅
Or an open fire? =Yes✅
4 out of 4 winner, winner chicken dinner!

Thanks @cat - you have just helped in the discussion of who has to sweep up!

2 Likes

Well I hope you buy her a sweeper!

1 Like

Ideal Xmas present! - perhaps not!

2 Likes

Ha ha… OH bought me a pressure cooker as a Christmas present one year… :roll_eyes: he survived that mistake and has been successfully making up for it ever since… :hugs:

2 Likes

I bought V a Kenwood Chef (in the early '80s IIRC) and she was delighted (I think) :grin:

1 Like

You’re still alive… that’s something… :roll_eyes: :wink:

1 Like

I think she’s keeping me alive to continue my punishment :crazy_face:

4 Likes

We had a Bex Bissell and an electric Eloctrolux cylinder vacuum.
I had to use that to sweep the stair carpet once a week and polish the woodwork on the stairs too.
We now have three vacuums, two Dysons and a Geotech battery operated sweeper for the Border Collie hairs on the salon rug!

Bought mine a blowlamp one year, as she wanted the bedroom door repainted. Set fire to the bloody door and it remained a lovely shade of off black for years. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Wow! Stella, you captured my early days!posh carpet due to mil and the rattiest sofa for a fiver. Everything else was skip diving. We got posher over the years, the old furniture came from antique shops instead of skips. A matter of degree I think :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Ah yes, for one year, back in the 80s, in order to make myself available for interviews to transition from lorry driving to management, I drove a mini-skip lorry for a local company.

Each night I would take the wagon home, sometimes it was full but it was never completely full in the morning. One neighbour salvaged and put back on the road, a complete motor bike, and I got loads of useful stuff, a Flymo, 2 Belfast sinks and a beautiful Italian clock/temp.guage/barometer to hang on the wall, amongst loads of other useful stuff. :laughing:

Quite. The Bex Bissell goes back a very long way.

The first year we were together I’d mentioned I didn’t know where my Swiss Army knife was (in a box in mums garage in Sydney it turned out) so himself decided that a fine present for a 23 year old lass would be a new Swiss army knife. I was gutted, then cut my finger quite deeply when I opened it :rofl:

1 Like

a strange Australian wedding custom? blood bonds perhaps?
Having watched Dundee, I can believe anything happens in Oz :rofl:

2 Likes

So almost literally gutted then. :astonished: :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

It’s Bouquet vicar!

4 Likes

We’ve just been saying how useful a carpet sweeper would be when I remembered we had one in the garage! There’s really only one carpet downstairs and, since the demise of the Dyson, I have to groom the dog hair out of it with the dog brush. I have fond memories of our Ewbank when I was a small child in Edinburgh. We used to play ‘tanks’- my sister and I would take turns at standing on top of the sweeper whilst the other pulled it around the floor with appropriate sound effects. (Probably explains why it was replaced by the “Electra Maid” cylinder vacuum, which went on for the next 40 years…)

2 Likes

I think our handheld Dyson has effectively replaced the traditional Ewbank.

I do really like the idea of the hand held vacuums. I won’t buy a dyson as he is an awful awful Brexiteer and also I think that their products are overpriced all based on name. Saying that i do quite like the look and apparent performance (according to friends). About 5 years ago I bought a (hmmmmm can’t remember the brand - the English one with 2 names) and while I quite liked it the performance just wasn’t really up to what I wanted / expected - it is in the barn and will probably go into a gite for them to have something quick to clean up with.

What other brands are as ‘good’ as dyson?