Does having an online private teacher make you an employer?

Can you find me the bit on superprof that says that please?

That sounds really odd considering that Cat has been using them for years, perhaps you’ve misunderstood?

They told me via email, so I don’t want to copy and paste here, but they did say SuperProf students should declare their teachers. I can DM you the text if you are interested.

That sounds really odd considering that Cat has been using them for years,

I agree, it sounds really odd! Thus I made the thread!!

The other thing to bear in mind is that employment law in France is way different from the UK. It is hugely tighter here. I can imagine in the UK if you hired a teacher for a few hours and paid by whatever means it would never cross your mind that you are the teacher’ employer. But here you can be!

The CESU scheme was set up to make this much easier, and it is well used. It is a bit of a faff to set up in the first place, but for people who think they might need a ranges of services in the future it is worth using cheque emploi system.

1 Like

She’s providing a service. You are not an employer. End of.

I just heard a relevant quote on the Archers,
‘That’s the joy of being self employed, the only boss is the client’.

Not as simple as that in France! Which is why the cheque emploi system exists.

1 Like

Can you explain or provide a link?

I’ve posted one further up in the thread.

2 Likes

Hello all, here is some update.

After consulting another Superprof teacher and URSSAF, it sounds like an online tutor is an employee unless the tutor has a company of his/her own ME (self-employed) status. [Edit: Thanks Catharine!]

So my problem right now is that my tutor didn’t discuss about dĂ©claration before starting the class. If she had told me, I would have not taken her classes. I’m trying to get an answer from a lawyer asking if this would be a valid reasoning for getting a full refund. (Don’t want to report her if they say I should have asked the teacher about it!)

If people are looking for tutors online, I think it would be wise to discuss the déclaration with them from the start!

It’s not that they have a company of their own but they have ME (self-employed) status.

I can honestly say that I have never, ever, ever met another teacher who was only using cheque emploi. Everyone has ME status simply because clients tend to want to pay in numerous different ways and cheque emploi is a small % of the market. It sounds really dodgy to me. If you want to send me the contract you signed to have a look, feel free!

1 Like

Thanks Catherine,

I fixed the post to say that “an online tutor is an employee unless the tutor has a ME (self-employed) status .”

If you want to send me the contract you signed to have a look, feel free!

This is so sweet. Thank you again. The thing is I never signed a contract with her, but according to URSSAF, that’s not a big issue, because according to their site : La rĂ©daction d’un contrat de travail est obligatoire lorsque votre salariĂ© travaille de façon rĂ©guliĂšre plus de 8 heures par semaine ou si sa durĂ©e de travail excĂšde 4 semaines consĂ©cutives par an.