Dog poo and zebra crossing

I did hope from the title “Dog poo and zebra crossing” that we were in for an hilarious joke… Why did the dog poo cross the road on a zebra crossing ? …

2 Likes

Well have the same noise here, but since the man comes by at just about the same time every morning, it save me looking at the clock!

The most soul destroying job in the automotive industry must be fitting indicators to BMWs and Audis as the person doing it knows that their hard work will never be used.

4 Likes

I had no idea about the law regarding pedestrian crossings but back in 2001 when I had to do the FCOS refresher course that all experienced HGV drivers in France were obliged to do, out of the 3 days of it we spent 1 day in a training vehicle. 3 drivers plus an instructor. When it came to my turn to drive I automatically stopped when I saw someone waiting at a crossing. Because the person concerned seemed surprised and hesitated to leave the pavement I said to my companions (all French) ‘he would have the right of way in England’, to which the instructor said, with a sad sigh, ‘exactly the same in France too’.

So I have always followed that premise but no-one sensible, in either country, should walk out into a road without observing the traffic.

Being right and dead is not to be recommended.

1 Like

Yes, very good

Driving in the suburbs of Paris, I tend to assert my Britishness by always stopping to let pedestrians cross when they are waiting at pedestrian crossings.

This generally has one of two effects: a big smile and a wave of thanks, as if you just handed them a €50 note they dropped in the street, or, they don’t even notice you’ve stopped as they have their head in their smartphone and are not expecting their presence at a pedestrian crossing to have any influence on the passing traffic!

In the latter event, there’s invariably another driver stuck behind me blaring their horn in a fit of apoplectic indignation at my stupidity…

It’s hard to win. I always stop and I am not British.

or worse, kids without a noisy moped of their own. Without one of their own they’re unable to sod off for a ride together, but instead, all have to congregate at the house of the kid who has one and take it in turns to set off for a 3 minute ride which gives an arrival AND departure every 3 minutes.
What a perfect soundtrack to unwind to over a chilled glass after a stressed-out day at work, not.

1 Like

I always stop, and it is galling when people don’t acknowledge that you stopped at all (so I rudely and childishly shout il n’y a pas de quoi/je vous en prie out of my window) and I am also very very irritated by the ones who glare and cringe and put their hands out as if to ward me off, the temptation to rev my engine is overwhelming but I resist.
Back when I had my beautiful emerald green Trafic (best car) people were much nicer. I suppose I just look like a nasty old witch in my current bourgeois car.

3 Likes

Guilty as charged ; I’m finding it difficult and tiresome relearning stopping at crossings and using indicators (like everyone else I’m only doing so because we’ve been threatened with fines and loosing points) but i can confirm that i don’t pooh on the pavement !

3 Likes

So you aren’t doing it for the safety reasons then?

Exactly, poohing on the pavement can be very risky !

3 Likes

I am not sure to what extent you understand that there is a major lock-down of governmental obligations, both on the national and local level. Above all, it is - given the French nature - very difficult to “contain inactivity”.

Moreover, those working for the French-government in a good many capacities have been on lock-down. I find it absolutely marvelous that the Internet is up and running. Even if it is a lot slower than usual …

That’s me! Only locked down since this week though.

1 Like

Possibly a majority of drivers here in Shrewsbury fail to advertise their intentions at junctions and islands. My instructor - employed by Post Office Telephones in the 70s told me to always indicate where it might be helpful to others as I drove around Brum in my little yellow van. I wonder what they teach here. There are fortunately far fewer ‘crazies’ here than in the big city.

This has got to be the (probably unintentionally) best comment of the day.

The village I live in had a number of people who campaigned, with posters asking people to pick it up. Then the Marie put in poo bag dispensers x 2. It’s still not perfect but it’s much better.

1 Like

I think they’re like French car’s brake lights, when you buy the car new, I suspect two or three working brake lights are optional extras.

Noticed something similar in S Africa with locally built BMWs and MBZs. There people blamed it on the rough roads, but most SA main roads are at least as good as Europe’s (less traffic and no frost) . For some reason my Stuttgart-built Benz coupe never had that problem…

current trend in the uk is spraying the dog poo with hi viz marker paint which the local councils hate as it highlights the problem, try it out hopefuly you wont get fined for vandalism

Or little flags…like you put in cocktails.