Dog poo and zebra crossing

Loved the bikes, known as Kakawasakis; my son wanted to drive one when he grew up. We still remind him of it.

Hairy by name, a bolux (sic) by nature? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

:rofl: :bouquet:

Iā€™m not sure about everyone but I live in a hilltop village. There are little piles left by dogs that take themselves out for walks and come up from the valley. Iā€™m just happy that if/when we encounter them they are quite friendly. Then there are sightseers who visit our lovely village, without the courtesy of wearing masques during this worrying time, and sometimes leave their (unknotted!) full poop bags on the doorstep of a village house. Who thinks like this?!

So, because we love our village, and there are 15 free poop bag stations provided by our wonderful Mairie, we pick up the poops left by others and feel quite happy to have helped being good citizens in our adopted homeland. And we try to get them before the cars run them all over. :grin:

1 Like

I think that there are things that are quintessentially French, Baguettes, a wide and delicious rang of cheeses, little cars that look as if they are going to capsize on corners andā€¦ dog poo. Itā€™s a package deal :slightly_smiling_face:
BTW, in my neck of the woods there are no problems with ā€œzebraā€ crossings. All motorists pay great respect and pedestrians usually give a little nod of appreciation. I was impressed when I first came here. Of course itā€™s only a small town of 40k souls so less hectic perhaps.

1 Like

Shame you didnā€™t get arrested. Frankly, with you as a local representation of British people living in France, Iā€™m surprised the French arenā€™t more anti British.
Looking at some of your other comments, you seem to be angry and annoyed at everything.

Re - when I was in the UK I occasionally saw them hanging from hedges or branches of treesā€¦

Surely Angela you know about the dog poo fairies who clean up overnight :wink:

1 Like

But I think Martin is not British. :confused:

Yeah in England they bag dog shit and throw it in your garden, or hang it on hedges (!). That way it lasts so much longerā€¦

I always said to my son when he was a youngster that nothing short of a physical barrier could guarantee safely crossing a road regardless of whatever traffic control was used. Likewise when crossing a traffic light junction it only takes one driver ignoring a red light to spoil your day.

You are right @David_Spardo . Martin stated that earlier in the post.
Tarbes is 40 minutes from me and I donā€™t like the place particularly, but I donā€™t think itā€™s any worse than anywhere else. Maybe itā€™s because I live in a village, but I donā€™t have the same experience, nor did I when I lived in the nearest biggish town to there. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Something new. This morning a woman passed me as I was picking up and bagging my pupā€™s poop from the grassy verge. She said (in French) I should just throw it into the brush, itā€™s good for ā€˜les sapinsā€™.

I always feel dog poop should be picked up from everywhere because you never know who could walk /ramble over it and be annoyed. Also, there are germs that can cause blindness in children, who do love scrapping through the leaves. Iā€™m not happy about cat poop either and wary of toxoplasmosis.

Am I out of step here, so to speak?

Possibly culturally, but if you canā€™t deposit it where no-one is likely to walk through it then taking it home or putting it in a bin is the right thing to do.

3 Likes

Our dog is wormed so no risk of toxoplasmosis. We always pickup in urban environments, including public parks. But in natural environments we donā€™t.

Is it an Audi ?

Itā€™s definitely frowned upon in my very rural villageā€¦ folk are meant to clearup and take awayā€¦ whatever rubbish, be it from their picnic and/or their dog/petā€¦
On the other hand, if dogwalking in the wildsā€¦ one can hardly be expected to go dashing through woodland trying to find where oneā€™s dog has left a little giftā€¦

This thread was started in 2021 before I joined the site, so I went back to read the first few posts. We have found French towns and cities quite variable, with Agde being utterly vile to the point we would not want to live there, and worse than London at any time I can remember. OTOH many other places were just fine and as clean as one would normally expect.

Hahaha NO deffo not an Audi (apologies to any Audi owners present who will of course have ignored the free copy of the twatā€™s handbook that came with the car). No I drive a different German old lady car.

1 Like

Trabant? :thinking: :wink:

2 Likes

I was nearly run over by a white van a few weeks ago in Bayonne after I had almost finished crossing on a zebra. I had stopped looking as I was only a yard from the pavement, but I felt a strong rush of wind behind my back. It must have been close as the following car hooted at him to stop, which he did and held his hand up. I had been lulled into a false sense of security as otherwise here itā€™s like Geof says it is in Bretagne. They sometimes even stop to let you cross without a zebra (does that mean Iā€™m getting old!). I shall certainly keep looking until I reach the pavement in future.

1 Like