Don't Panic

Let’s see how this plays out…

Now if only you could find me a babelfish my time in France would be so much easier. :wink:

Catch a Vogon ship to Magrathea, they have plenty.

2 Likes

Tricky without a Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic and a friendly Dentrassi or two.

1 Like

I once had a few sheets of stickers made up: a daft logo with the strapline “Another Fine Product Of The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation”. I stuck them on lift control panels across 4 continents. It would be great if someone here had spotted one…

3 Likes

Whenever I get into a lift made by Schindler I wonder why nobody’s made a movie about them…

4 Likes

They must think it is not going to stop raining!

We have been supposedly getting these alerts for some time down here, one for approaching mediterranean tsunami and another for breach of the barrage up in the mountains but nothing has ever happened, not even a mention in the local paper!

do you mean the Alert never arrived on your mobile phone… or the “event/disaster” never happened… ??

Tuesday’s “Alert” is a trial run to check the alert-system will work (via our mobiles) if necessary in the future…

Do you have to have your phone on for the alert to work? :thinking:

Well, they say it will work even if you are in a “no-reception” situation/area … (???) but presumably if your phone is switched Off the message will only come through once the phone is switched On…

I’ll ask OH to switch his phone Off (my phone has to always be On :wink: )
then I’ll find out the answer to your question… :wink:

1 Like

Nothing happened to anyone with a mobile phone here including all the family, my neighbours and friends - nada, nothing!

Alas, I haven’t as finding one would have brightened my day immeasurably.

To receive it “live”, yes.

Depending how the alert is delivered, it could well be stored in the network waiting for the recipient to appear back on their network.

Got it here Thiviers… :grin: Scared the bejesus out of me… lol!

2 Likes

My phone screeched this morning - certainly not going to miss the alerts :crazy_face:

1 Like

Surely you don’t live in the Dordogne… or have I misunderstood ???

Hello @Alan_Smith and welcome to the forum… :+1:

Glad it worked for you…

righto… here in Dordogne… !!!

different phones obviously work differently, when it comes to receiving these Alerts… judging by today’s trial run…

My phone is very basic… ready to receive call all day, every day… it did receive an SMS.
No sound, just the envelope flashing, flashing, flashing…
and the message was very brief, but sufficient.

OH had “powered-down” his phone and did not receive anything until he “powered it Up”… then a loud screech, followed by an indepth message from the Prefecture explaining blah blah blah…
then he had the option to choose to receive Alerts in future… or to refuse…
He pressed the option to “receive”.

OK so far… then the neighbours gathered in the street… and arguments started about the noise/screech etc…
Seems that different phones received different noises (unless all my neighbours are barmy).

One is barmy… insisting that my phone must have made a noise (oh no it didn’t, oh yes it did)… until one younger lady kindly classed my phone as “very basic” rather than “dumb” which is (I understand) the opposite of a “smart phone”… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I would expect the noise made is down to each individual phones’ settings, rather than being sent as part of the message. And that may also be why your phone made no noise at all.