Dover protests

Agreed. When somebody shows you who they are believe them.

Regarding the people at Dover, whilst I don’t agree with any protest of this type I haven’t actually met any of them. So it would be a bit rash to make that claim.

No more than calling anybody who attends a Palestine action rally a terrorist.

I know you like to generalise and just drop people into certain buckets, (you did it the other day about 3.5 million people in Dubai, with just the stroke of a few keys), but I just don’t think that is helpful or right.

As you know :grinning_cat_with_smiling_eyes: I absolutely disagree with this approach. I believe it leads to extreme polarisation in politics and will be what we should blame if the far right achieve power or significant influence.

If what I believe is worthwhile, I should always be prepared to engage with others to persuade them. I think it’s unethical to refuse to do so.

I’m guessing you haven’t seen the previous conviction statistics on those arrested at previous right-wing “protests”

But it saves so much time

1 Like

As I said, if somebody shows you who they are…. believe them!

Noted.

100% This is how you end up with Brexit, Trump and the AFD.

It’s very immature for people to say they won’t work or engage with people you don’t agree with.

I am just glad that such people were never involved with the Northern Ireland peace process.

Even the UK government is trying to work with the Taliban.

Agreed.
Sooner or later all (?) conflicts need a negotiated peace.

Rhetoric about “bombing them back to the stone age” etc play well, but achieve next to nothing.
The same people who talk about “forcing opponents into submission” are often the same ones who say that if attacked “whatever doesn’t kill me, makes me stronger”.

You’re spot on here, like Truss before her she’s an absolute empty vessel putting on an act that she thinks is what people want to hear. Like with Truss there is a complete aura of inauthenticity about her. Johnson, to give him his dues, knew much more when to say and do things that play to the base, and when, things like Ukraine for example, were perhaps too big for party politics. I could absolutely see Kemi becoming Vlad’s best mate if she thought it would win her a few points.

1 Like

Oddly, many of us can differentiate between who I engage with for work and those in my social life, also in how I engage with them.

2 Likes

My old firm had a big facility in North Harbour. I visited it several times though I spent far more time in our Southbank offices. All gone now as we downsized to bicycle shed in Hursley.

The North Harbour location featured in a 1985 Doctor Who episode :slightly_smiling_face: I must try and torrent it for a laugh. I might se a few old colleagues being Ex-term-in-ated…

Ah, sorry, I thought you talking on general political terms.

Not sure what demands someone could have on you, if you are only talking socially.. :thinking:

Are you in the field of inorganic brain machines?

And in the area of Dr Who locations, the old and multpurposed freestone mines at Corsham were used too.

If a Faridge supporter found himself in trouble at sea, should he phone Patriot Platform for assistance?

2 Likes

I was in the Computing-Tabulating-Recording business, as was. Cut my teeth on punched cards, and for a half decent assembler program there were a lot of punched cards :face_with_hand_over_mouth: maybe a box or two.

I did, a looong time ago, learn some very basic, Basic, Algol, and Fortran.
Never used it in anger though.
I know enough about it to realise I know approximately nothing. :grinning_face:

I can socially express a personal view on political issues while also having an understanding that politicians need to do unpalatable things in other to run the country.

Personally speaking, I wouldn’t give them an inch. If I was still working then I’d be more cautious in expressing that view and might actually express an entirely different view professionally.

It’s not really that complicated.

Reminds me of this

1 Like

Yes that makes sense… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Godwins Law everyone!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I guess you don’t really do humour.

1 Like