I really was laughing!! ![]()
![]()
![]()
Well anything to the right would make everything else left surely, but it’s reasonable behaviour in the light of being lied to by politicians and the media that’s where the real issue is. Getting people to act on a lie so you can profit from it.
Look at the outcry over halal, not been a problem with the Jewish people carrying out a similar process
And actually Kosher is worse. I think with most Halal meat in the UK, the animal is pre stunned, that isn’t allowed at all for Kosher.
Again it shows how silly religion can be.
Although all animal slaughter seems pretty horrific, but I eat meet so have no real right to complain.
The appointed religious person (male) can be Jewish or Muslim depending on who is available at the time required. That is how it was in North London a few years back, the Palestine situation may have changed that. But again the jews are more cruel as you said not stunned whereas AFAIK, halal allows the stunning of an animal. You don’t read that on FB, where idiots are told what to think and believe
That struck me quite forcibly too.
An interesting view from David Allen Green who isn’t generally given to hyperbole or partisanship.
Did you ever drop your box of punched cards of Assembler code on the floor and then realise you hadn’t done the extra keystrokes to put the sequence number on each one ? ![]()
I did, but as they say, “only once”.
Yes
And also being impatient and not wanting to wait for the punch room turnaround I got very good with the hand punch for patches. These “undocumented” cards become more and more of the deck as the debugging continued.
Eventually you could just hold a blank punched card up to the light and read it
I’m convinced those early mental gyrations have contributed in some way to my overall reasonable marbles retention.
Tut, tut - as an auditor I would have recommended a good stiff program documentation policy and specified standards !
And rubber hose !!
Don’t mention the rubber hose
Anything but the rubber hose.
Weird how a discussion about programming standards has emerged out of dover protests - hey that’s the way the SF thread cookie breaks I suppose.
Anyway, I’m a little surprised an enterprising innovative rapid response coder (“I didn’t start the fire but I’ll put it out”) might accept control rather that an occasional good rubber hosing
- I suppose it’s a matter of the pain threshold!
Given the recent AI brotherly outpourings, I would love to see how the AI programming governance, policy, standards, procedures and audit trails are being played out let alone a change control system. Particularly with ‘recursive’ improvement…
Though at the end of the day, there’s a bit of me thinking Y2K hype - after all headlines like “It’ll bring down the internet in 12 months”, well the protocols are pretty unhackable, proved after 30 odd years, maybe the AI’s can hack the DNS’s (unlikely?) and more likely hack the routers instead - i.e turn them off.
That hardware level sounds like @billybutcher 's neck of the woods though.
There’s plenty of speculative ‘end of humanity’ stuff that is currently filling newspaper columns, but OTOH there are genuine environmental drawbacks to data centres (excessive land, water, electricity consumption and the raising of neighbourhood temps) that are real and readily verifiable.
In addition as I’ve noted previously,there’s also the possibility of a decline in individuals’ reasoning abilities, mirroring the decline in navigational skills due to over reliance on GPS, and the earlier decline in mental arithmetic ability that followed the widespread adoption of calculators.
Generally, today market traders can still add up mentally, shop workers reliant on tills can’t.
Who said that? In my early days the best management praise I ever received was a Sysprog rising from my flu sick bed to go in and fix a problem I’d actually caused. An overnight update, I’d assumed I’d be there in the morning to fix glitches. All users on our mainframe down ![]()
They were great seat of the pants days
Not appropriate now of course. Subsequently, running multiple client’s and our own infrastructure that approach needed to go,
But I feel so grateful to have lived through that era. It was exciting, you learnt at Warp speed and the users treated you like a hero when you got it fixed. The pioneer days. Who the hell would want to work in, for example, Meta IT today?
On the very rare occasions that I pay for something in cash I often pay with a note plus some change in order to be given a smaller note back instead of a tons of shrapnel (e.g. the goods total 16,22€ & I give a 20€ note & 1,22€ in change). Nowadays the cashier’s response is often one of confusion as my reason for ‘overpaying’ just doesn’t work in their head. I have to insist that it simplifies things for all of us & the penny/centime then drops, only to be given 5 x 1€ coins back rather than a note ![]()
I went into a different boulanger for a loaf of bread yesterday and offered a 10 euro note. I was instructed to shove it into a slot in front of the counter. It then deposited a 5 euro note and the correct small change into a cup.
I’ve seen them in a few placés, mainly petrol stations.
I’ve not been in a petrol station for over 2 years and I live a very sheltered life in almost nowhere.
I was looking at the TV yesterday when the discussion was on the wind potential of Scotland at 7GW and a maximum use case of 5GW was under discussion and the context of Data centres . The arguement is that they need constant 24/7 peak power … . Well actually they don’t ..They can be put into sleep mode in seconds and recover just as fast … . The entire point of the Internet and ARPANET was resilience and graceful degredation and scaling up and down.
So if you have to ask Claude at 5pm What to do with your aubergines at 4:58pm and He/She/IT responds at 7:03 pm ..it’s not the end of the world …
What put this in mind was looking into one of those fabulous Byte magazine and remembering how we viewed those early 8 but machines … They were personal amplifier’s for thought… Not groupthink machines .
If everybody bought RNLI Christmas cards and sent them freepost to
Reform UK
Freepost RTLT-ZXHY-KSDC
83 Victoria Street
London SW1H OHW
It would help the RNLI and cost Reform a lot of money.
