Driving license exchange

If I do, it won’t be done purposely :rofl:. I do have a couple of old ones though that should have meant changing my licence, but that was in the "transition " period so I didn’t, just paid the €45.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat Mark!

Oh that is good news, my old paper one is in a bit of a state!

1 Like

Just received request from ANTS for recent D737…which I obtained recently and also for a “handwritten, dated and signed certificate” stating I do not wish to keep heavy categories C&D (as per uk list) which relates to vehicles over 3,500kg and a bus!
As I do nor need this I want to send requested document…has anybody done this and know the content and wording to be acceptable…if so a crib would be most welcome.
@kim …do you have any pre-prepared words …as my uk licence expires in three weeks I want to avoid risk of me getting it wrong!

(No request for birth certificate like my friend)

Wife applied same time as me in Dec, but her licence is valid until 2027 and received exchange rejection an hour before my mail…so they are obviously cracking on.

1 Like

have ordered the CoE but heaven knows when it will arrive! Have you got yours yet @strudball
@AngelaR …you will see ANTS seem to be getting on with it …my CofE took about 3 weeks, sent second post!
How is yours progressing?

My birth certificate has arrived @strudball - ordered on 12th, dispatched on 16th arrived 27th! That is shocking…

As Kim suggested, I shall have a go with the Check Code first while waiting for the CoE to arrive… will keep you posted on progress. Kim gave me a form of words for the attestation - I’ll look for it!

1 Like

Found it @strudball ! This is the one on the autodemarches website but it’s very like the one Kim gave me…

Removed it because it’s designed for native French people - I’ll have another look for Kim’s as it mentioned the country of issue of the licence

Edit: At the moment, it looks like the ANTS website isn’t too well :roll_eyes:

@AngelaR …I ordered a copy BC…urgent delivery as I thought it would be asked for…got it in seven days but cost £32!
Words of wisdom for the handwritten!! Certificate relating to Cat’ C&D would be appreciated.
Ants web site was very slow when I looked at15.00.

@strudball ANTS died on me part way through and appeared to submit my “corrections” with some of them missing, so that will get rejected then :frowning:

I’ve sent you a PM with notes about the attestation.

I ordered a standard birth certificate but after all that, it didn’t take it! Sigh…

Ummm…why are you being asked to give up vehicle categories that you are entitled to drive? Surely just in case, you’d want to keep everything you have now?

Because you have to have a medical in France (and then every few years perhaps, but that may be wrong) if you want to continue with those categories. It’s standard procedure when changing UK licenses to french. You either relinquish those categories or have to have the medical and get it signed off by your doctor.

2 Likes

You have to get medical sign off for certain heavy categories, and I don’t expect ever to drive a bus or thee axle 5ton+ lorry it’s seems self inflicted hassle to do so.

3 Likes

Yep, that is correct, or was when I exchanged my license in 2009. The categories are still showing on my licence but with an expiry date of 2014 so having a medical gave me 5 years permission to drive certain categories.
I had to visit a doctor from an approved list and pay ,I think, about 45 euros. I filled in all the required forms and ticked the box I needed. The medical was a farce, the weighing scales didn’t work so doctor guessed my weight, I am hard of hearing in one ear so doc simply shouted louder.
He looked at the categories I had ticked, smiled, and then ticked them all.
When I collected my license from the prefecture, pre ANTS, I had a licence to drive absolutely anything!!
Fortunately for those who passed driving test pre 1997 losing some categories when exchanging is no big deal, unless you want to drive a bus etc.
The basic categories I now have allow me to tow heavy things which suits me fine. As @strudball has said, bus and lorry driving days are long gone when you are drifting through life in retirement.

2 Likes

Woo-hoo! Success :smiley: (partial, but all the same…)

Added the requested documents on-line to my exchange dossier yesterday and today received the email to go back on line to see what else I need to send them, which turned out to be my UK driving licence. I have printed off the attestation, which entitles me to drive here in France for 4 months (well beyond UK licence expiry date). Of course getting the actual licence may take forever but I am SOOOO pleased!

12 Likes

Why have you applied for a birth certificate, this is only required if you have changed your name. If your nom d’usage is the same as your birth name, no birth cert required.

The letter to renounce categories lourdes, do you wish a copy.

Grandfather rights from the UK do not exist in France you are required to have a medical if you wish to retain any C/C1/C1E or D/D1/D1E. The medical schedule once you reach 60 increases to every 2 years for C’s and every year for D’s. C’s increase to every year once you reach 76.

Most people have never driven or ever likely to drive a vehicle over 3500kg or drive a 16 seater minibus so for most they are no longer required.

1 Like

Interesting re-birth certificate as friend had never had name change and lived here 26 years using his old paper licence with his last UK address.

And thanks for offer of words but I have used the one you sent to
@AngelaR …she told me her process, so sent my stuff off last evening and now waiting.
Once they get my Uk licence how long is it likely to be before I get plastic so I can drive in the UK.
abtw think you have gone beyond call of duty for D/L s…so many thanks

1 Like

You will get an email/text asking you to send in your licence, you will download the attestation. Unfortunately there are no timings that can be accurately given. However you will be sent another text/email telling you that your licence will be with you in 15 days, that is usually fairly accurate.

1 Like

Kim I just wanted to say thank you for coming on here and kindly clarifying thesr finer points for us who are not users of Facebook. It’s really appreciated.

3 Likes

Hear hear, very appreciated @kim - thank you!

1 Like