Driving license exchange

no, insurance would be invalid…so driving without licence, and no insurance so it there was third party injury then real doo-doo.

1 Like

Got stopped the other day in Béziers 34 and policeman told me to get my licence changed. I did not argue! My 4b and 11 are both 15.05.22

Any more news on this? The petition is only up to 14,764 and there is also a Change.org petition up to 5,585 https://www.change.org/p/the-uk-government-and-the-french-government-french-uk-driving-license-reciprocal-agreement?

@Jane_Williamson I don’t know where to find the emoji for “smug”. Anticipating this I made sure to get a new UK licence last December :sunglasses:

Everything else, I’m so far behind on!

@KarenLot copy and paste one from here
Unfortunately, @james hasn’t included one in the SF software.

The gossip on the street (ie British Embassy and Kim Cranstoun facebook page) is that the agreement is close to being signed now.

1 Like

Haven’t they been saying that for a few weeks now? What is concerning me is that I can’t see how ANTS can possibly process all those applications in a few months even if the agreement came through today :thinking:

Am I a cynic for imagining that the UK is funding extra staffing in France to process the driving licence swaps and that the ‘defining the swap process’ needed was in fact mostly about agreeing how much the UK would pay France for landing France with all this work?

That’s certainly an imaginative take on the situation :smiley:

1 Like

Excuse me, we have had our French licences for some years now, so perhaps you are mixing me up with someone else.

1 Like

Maybe @KarenLot linked to the wrong post Jane. I’m sure she wouldn’t have done that purposefully.
Like you, we changed our licences years ago after settling here permanently which was the wisdom at the time and I think the real issue is for those who have got caught up in the mêlée post Brexit rather than those who could have, indeed should have changed their licences long ago for whom I have less sympathy.

1 Like

As my grandmother would have said “Why? What have you done?” :joy:

1 Like

and at school, putting your hand up and asking if you can go to the toilet which often prompted the response “I don’t know, can you?”

2 Likes

Yes you are correct Jane. Apologies fat finger error on my part I am just getting used to finding people

2 Likes

We did it well before we became 70 and would have to give up our UK licences anyway, as we would have had to have a medical and had no address in UK.

1 Like

I think that is a bit smug and harsh Graham, I’m glad for you that you were able to get yours sorted but there are thousands of us that tried (way before Brexit happened) and after having our dossiers for over a year got rejected as ‘they don’t need to be changed unless you have a fine etc’ cost me quite a lot of money too with a new birth cert etc

1 Like

Not smug nor harsh but I do recall there were many who told people not to bother changing when they could have, which is the point I was making.
Once Brexit was on the cards, indeed once the vote had gone that way back in 2016, warning bells should have been ringing in people’s ears of the likely consequences and used it as a call to action.
As well you of all people know, there are still those with their heads in the sand over the CdS issue - even now with a deadline fast approaching and others, maybe mischievously, suggesting its all a con and that France won’t eject them :roll_eyes:

I tried to get mine changed before the Brexit vote and was told not to unless I had committed a serious driving offence. I then tried again after the vote and got my paperwork sent back.

1 Like

@DeTolkTW but how long before that had you been in France?
Like @Jane_Williamson and others, we have been here 10+ years and did the deed at the first opportunity.

Who told you that? was your formal, written application rejected?

It did sound a bit judgemental though even if you didn’t mean to.

I’d been back probably a couple of years, it wasn’t priority I had a non sleeping newborn when we arrived (and that carried on for 3 years) so as it wasn’t an urgent situation I didn’t get straight on it but sounds like it wouldn’t have mattered much, once it went to centralised sounds like not many applications got through!

Yes mine was - that is why I took objection to your comments. This happened to lots of people.