Driving license exchange

Depending on when OH did it, (before late August?) that could have been the actual “check code” and not the D737? The ANTS site referes to the necessity of supplying the D737 document but as of mid-August they actually accept the easy-to-download check code…

Seems that most of the driving licences issues are now settled.
There is one outstanding…a uk licence cannot and does not need exchanging until it reaches a point when it only has six months left to run. So what happens in the case that the holder loses it here in France and the adress on the uk one which is the only place to which the DVLA will send it is no longer the holders uk address and it would be not possible to retrieve it from there ? I understand the DVLA will not send it else where. This would result in a person having no licence to show to Gendarme.

Maybe get a certificate of entitlement?

I have scanned and copied every single important document which live in a fire proof wallet…

I dont understand people who lose their licence!
Is it not a piece of plastic or paper that you keep with your credit cards that you carry all the time?
Certainly a requirement here to carry everytime you take to the wheel of a vehicle.

Yes was excepted a while ago for me when my license renewal could not be sent here.
Maybe things have changed?

Loss of Driving License should be reported to the Gendarmes… I believe… same as any other important docs/stuff.

That, plus the DVLA entitlement document should be enough in the interim… while the person goes through ANTS …

There will always be the odd/unfortunate situation… but I’m told (by French folk) that … following things to the letter, perseverance and patience… are absolutely essential in order to remain sane.

Nobody deliberately loses a wallet or purse but accidental loss can occur and they can get picked by a ner’ do well.

I have until 25th Jan to get my French Driving Licence, I submitted my info on 4th September but no progress yet.

They seem (unusually) to process them roughly in order of urgency so I shouldn’t panic yet!

My partner lost his (plus all his credit cards etc) when out on a walk in the countryside - we think it must have dropped out of his pocket somewhere… :roll_eyes:

Of course such things can happen.

…but to successfully change a uk licence for a French one you have to send in your UK one…( which is lost!), so the problem is either explaining to ANTS why you cannot do this, and to DVLA that its pointless sending a replacement to an old address (no longer residing)…good luck with both of these!!

We got a friend to pick it up for us!

You have the receipt/number/whatever from the Gendarmes… when you reported the loss…

I can’t find how to get a certificate of entitlement as really need to sort out the husbands expired one. Can someone please point me the right way?

You don’t need one these days, @toryroo - you just need the check code!

1 Like

But I think if your licence is out of date, from what Jane said you can’t use that? Or have I misunderstood?

1 Like

I’ve PM’d you…

1 Like

OK just for anyone else looking at this thread. My hubby’s photo card is out of date (but validity until 2040). He has just done the request from the DVLA and it happily spat out the paper and code required.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how strict they are being on birth certificates? Hubby’s newest one is a year or so?