Easy Christmas pudding and gluten free version

We really fancied a Christmas pudding this year but as DH is gluten free and they are near impossible to get here, and expensive I decided to make one. I used a GF version of this recipe:

It said to make and eat on the day, made it but we were too full and didn’t actually have any until last night. It was lovely! Really recommend it for those of you missing pudding. I think my jars of mince were around 4.50e each so a pudding for around 8e or so. @Shiba I particularly thought of you as you’d mentioned not having one for years due to cost. I’m sure you could make a smaller one just using one jar.

4 Likes

What did replace the flour and breadcrumbs with?

GF flour and GF breadcrumbs.

This recipe Gluten Free Christmas Pudding (Easy Cheat's Christmas Pudding)

Thanks. I actually still have a spare jar in the cupboard so might take note of the recipe and put it in my folder for next year as I have more than enough to clear up currently. Since covid gastro in 2022 I have found my appetite has changed and I am eating a lot less, a good thing I think. It hasn’t worked on alcoholic beverages though :grinning:

1 Like

Tonight we remembered the Armagnac, added a bit before reheating, then a little after and set on fire. Added the reheated custurd and yum! So easy, quick and hits the Christmas spot!

I remember our first Christmas Pudding in our marriage. Got brandy ready and poured it all over the serface and then threw a lit match at it. Nothing.

Later learned that it was the vapour of the heated brandy that catches fire and that it was necessary to heat a spoonful first, then apply the flame before pouring it. Lovely. Haven’t bothered for a long time though since Fran’s daughter stopped sending us a Tesco version when she stopped working there.

But you do get drunk quicker with your first method :blush:

I do hope that was a typo :smiley:

3 Likes

How do you get mincemeat here?

@Rachman
Robertson’s mincemeat is on sale in many different well known supermarkets in Dordogne… around 4+ euros a time… I’ve stocked up recently as my jars were all empty

Why would you need a jar of mincemeat? We can get all the dried fruit and mixed peel needed easily and we soak the dried fruit in Calvados. We used to get suet from the butcher and render it, freeze it and grate it, which was a bit lengthy, but I now use a recipe with butter which is much lighter. Preparation time is maximum 30 minutes. I make two, douse them in more Calva, cook both together in a big steamer and freeze one for the next year.

3 Likes

sounds wonderful…

Personally, I’m happy to have a few jars of mincemeat… decent brand (foolproof)… so I can rustle-up some of my “specials” at a moment’s notice throughout the year… for friends and neighbours…

Oh I completely agree for mince pies, though you never see it in our bit of France.

1 Like

So long as its not full of glucose syrup, high fructose corn starch.

1 Like

I make a traybake, mincemeat slice… and when it’s fully cold, I cut it into bite size pieces… goes a long way when there’s a crowd :wink:

main ingredients are fruits… dried and otherwise… :wink:

1 Like

I remember doing one with a sort of flapjack base once, which was nice. Mind you, I haven’t tried to get golden syrup since Brexit…

Just take the fun out of everything :laughing:

Well yes but which one of us has had two strokes? Sorry mate thats a low blow but I am only concerned for peoples health.

Yup really low blow, the two strokes were due to the after affects of my skull being split open 4" in an accident, not due to anything I have eaten in my life, know what you are talking about before you throw things like that out :face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_diagonal_mouth: