EDF Electromechanical meter

Can anyone help me with understanding my electromechanical meter

The meter shows five numbers which record the usage in kWh - except to my mind and previous experience the last number is a decimal (it records one tenth of a kWh). Certainly this is the case with UK meters.

EDF, however, is estimating my usage as if the last number is a full KWh - clearly this makes a difference of 10x the units and price

Last week I barely boiled a kettle but according to EDF's interpretation of my meter I have used 398 Kilowatt hours (about 200 hours worth of boiling!)

Can anyone confirm if my interpretation is correct? It is the last number which is important.

I attach a photograph

I would tend to agree with you Bil. The last counter/digit is graduated and I would take that to be the 'decimal point' where the graduations represent a fraction of a whole unit.

I will and thanks very much for your help and advice.

It is extremely erratic but at times I can actually watch the meter running (almost regardess of the applianaces) so definitely a fault I think!

Just had another call from EDF and they are coming out later this month, which works okay as I have to go back to UK and can turn it off for a while!

Thanks again.

EDF is right: the last digit is indeed units of kWh; had it been a decimal, you would be able to see it moving, albeit ever so slowly, if you had a juicy appliance running (like your kettle, oven, electric fire, etc.) — it would of course be easy enough to confirm this with a quick experiment.

Unless your original meter readings were wrong, then it certainly does on the face of it look as though you have a faulty meter — though the fault mechanism is a bit of a mystery to me. Have you had any thunderstorms round your way recently?

Please do let us know how you get on.

I'm definitely not being clear - it is nearer to 60 euros a week

EDF - says the last number represents a full kWh so I have used 398 kWh units, which by my reckonning is 398 x 0.14 , a total of 55.7 euros

If (as I had thought) the last number is a decimal then I have only used 39.8 units, equivalent to 5.57 euros, and you are right, this would be peanuts.

It all hangs on the whetehr that last digit is a decimal. In the UK we just ignore the last number for that reason - but it seems that in France the last number represents a full kWh.

I'm wondering if you might not have short yourself in the foot! Our weekly bill would be around 25€ but then we have a pool pump going from May 1 until Sept 30! Hopefully the EDF engineer won't state that the meter is faulty and install another!! Under 6€ for a week is peanuts surely?

You may well be correct - hadn't seen it that way. Hopefully the engineer will help me to sort it.

Thank you - I had not realised this, so regardless of the meer problems I will do this

Thank you for the reply.

What I meant by 10x was that depending on whether or not there is decimal point before the last number it affects the amount of kWh by ten.

For example

Last week my meter reading began on 24761 and finished on 25159 - that is a usage of 398 kWh

But if the last number is decimal, teh reading began on 2476.1 and finished on 2515.9 - that is a usage of 39.8 kWh

EDF say there is no decimal so it means I used 398 kWh in a week with hardly any appliances, no heating on just some lighting, hot water, a TV and the occaisional kettle.

The advice on the rare is helpful too - I need to look at that regardless

I have looked at our meter and the last number is not preceded by a decimal. Even if it were, I cannot work out how you think that the readings taken are 10 times what they should! Do you only have a kettle that consumes electricity? No TV, oven, fridge, freezer, internet, phones, lights, etc? However 398 units seems a bit on the high side. What rate are you on? Obviously not the high/low one as you only have the bottom row counting. 39.8 units at 0.15€ (a pretty high rate) would equate to 5.97€ for a week?!

I can understand why EDF might be sending an engineer!

Doesn't help the current situation but I log the meter reading on the first of each month so that I can follow my usage just in case I have a problem or there is a dispute with EDF.

Maybe that would help you for the future.

Pardon my barging, here. But I can't help notice fron your photograph that your meter only registers "heures pleines" (HP) and no "heures creuses" (HC) which means that you are not benefiting from cheaper electricity at night. Have you registered for HCwith your supplier (EDF) ? Maybe you should. Prices are 30% cheaper usually between 10.30pm and 6am and sometimes also at around mid day.

Isn't the decimal indicated by the graduations on the right of the last digit? So, depending on the which way the numbers turn, this meter reads 25158.6 or 25159.4. Just a thought.

Thanks

And by coincidence EDF has at last agreed to send an engineer, so progress of a sort at least.

Have a look at...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_eUlqA4wF4

Bonjour! I’m very curious about what the engineer has found. Faulty meter or last digit = 1/10 kWh?
I’m facing the same meter and problem. Landlord has always sent 6 digits to electricity company.
That would mean a use of 1.400.000 kWh on 35 years (meter built year is on the meter)!
In my opinion: faulty meter, or last digit is 1/10 kWh, without indication (most meters this last digit is red, within a box, or there is a comma).

The original post was 7 years ago.

I suspect the OP has had their meter changed for a Linky since then.

P.S. Welcome to this forum.

1 Like

Yeah, but if you start a thread like this it’s nice to also give the FB about the outcome. Just like watching a Netflix series and stopping watching before the last epsisode…

I agree!

So this was seven years ago and I now have a smart meter. It turned out that I did not have a faulty meter but that my electric heaters were drawing a huge current before reaching temperature which was the cause of the problem. In the end I reinsulated the house, replaced the heaters, changed all lighting to LED, put thermostats on all other radiators and installed pellet stoves. The usage dropped by about half.

2 Likes