#election2020

I’ve not fully understood the US Electoral College system. This explains it simply…

1 Like

That does explain it well, and makes clear why the Electoral College must be abolished. Thousands of votes in a few counties in a handful of states determine the outcome of the Presidential election. That one candidate has won over 5 million more votes than the other is irrelevant.

Not simply enough for many Americans. Can you find it a picture book version for those who can’t read?

2 Likes

I noticed how Dump always hold his head to the right…

Abolishing the Electoral College is probably not likely to be achievable, so how about persuading more of the individual states to allocate their Electors proportionately according to the percentage of the vote for each candidate as they do in Nebraska and Maine.
Of course that would mean that candidates would need to campaign in every state but just think of the ‘Air miles’ they could collect.

Interestingly, had the proportional allocation system been used throughout in 2016, neither candidate would have reached the 270 winning line, so the ‘King makers’ would have been the 6 Electors who had been allocated to other ‘third party’ candidates. I wonder which way they would have decided to vote ?

That would mean splitting the electoral votes between congressional districts, which would still not give equal weight to each person’s vote. (I think that’s correct). But I suppose it would make it a bit more fair.
Another possibility is the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, but that can also be challenged in court.
I think it’s a good sign that both major parties are talking more about the abolishment, and both parties have supporters of the idea. I think it has to happen one day, but the required 2/3 majority in Congress may not happen for decades. In 1934 the Congress did come within 2 votes of making it happen. Maybe the added ‘Air miles’ incentive could be the deciding factor.
Here’s one recent article explaining how Republicans may benefit from abolishing it…

That’s interesting, I would have been happy if they had been able to decide the 2016 election differently, but that can also be very scary, giving a handful of electors that power.

Is there anybody less dignified, less gracious, less presidential than this awful man?
Izzy x

3 Likes

But doesn’t he look better with grey hair! Nearly like a normal human bean.

1 Like

I know!!! There is still a little lurking at the back and obviously then there is the orange fake tan - wouldn’t that be a miracle - non orange hair and skin, he’ll be unrecognisable (perhaps that is the point :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:).

Says me who has just dyed her hair for the first time in probably 10 years myself… I was expecting burgandy undertones but I got orange ones. I’m a little nervous to go out and dry it to see the full horror. Maybe I’ll be known as Mrs Trump for the next 6 weeks until it washes out :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Not really, but Erdogan runs him close!

Is this a trick question?

2 Likes

8 Likes

If he turns up for Biden’s inauguration, how fitting would it be moments after he loses the protections of the Presidency to be arrested by the Feds in full view of the World’s media…
The viewing ratings to which he subscribes to diligently would go through the roof :grin:

5 Likes

Another bottle of Cremant opened here.

2 Likes

We waited on the Champagne until Pennsylvania was called.
When Biden and Harris are sworn in we’ll open another one. I’ll spring for Pierre Peters or Ayala (again).

1 Like

I doubt that the SDNY prosecutor will get first crack at him. Rumor has it that the New York AG will be going after him, Javanka, Don Jr, and Eric(aka Beavis and Butthead), and possibly Mr Javanka as well. I’d be please to see the entire clan locked up.

I altered the old rhyme:
Remember, Remember
The 3rd of November
We voted out Treasonous Trump
I know of no reason
The Donald Trump Treason
Should ever be Forgot!

8 Likes

I think the situation is pretty dangerous at the moment 0 I’m not sure Trump is fighting these legal battles expecting to win in court but to stir up enough mud and whip-up the darker elements of his support base.

If he can prevent the swing states from certifying their vote he might be able to abuse the college vote (the states in question are largely Republican leaning) to be returned as President.

If this is the case I think historians will eventually discuss how Trump, enabled by the GOP became the first American dictator, or how the USA fought its 2nd civil war - or more probably both.

Rare treat today - Gary Younge is maybe the best journalist writing in English today (now we’ve lost Robert Fisk) - but he has mainly moved to academia, and now only writes on current affairs from time to time…

When you are lucky enough to have a wonderful Cremant like ours, we really don’t need Champagne.

I’m a great fan of cremant. What brand do you get?
We recently discovered some ‘pet nat’ wines which are very interesting. A local caviste brings in a lot of ‘bio’ and ‘garagiste’ wines, generally within about 300km of Aix.