EU members not coming to Uk to work creating problems for farmers

and no one in the region wants the jobs even though unemployment is high within the british people of the area. Migrant workers drying up and no one to replace them…

Phew, made me feel chilly and exhausted just watching them…

At least the team finished… but I wonder…are the British unemployed too pampered to consider taking on such hard work…???

This was obviously going to happen. Places like Boston in Lincolnshire where they have a high percentage of EU agricultural workers vited Leave.
I suppose they will all complain when they have no veg in the shops or salads to buy prepared in bags.

1 Like

Great news! Does Farage have children? Excellent opportunity for him and UKIPers to teach themselves value of hard work. :+1: :grin:

2 Likes

Wow Harry we agree on something for sure about the Lazy brits.
By all means hardworking; bright people who have something special to offer
take all the lead jobs but others need to take whatever is out there.
Rather than scrounge off the country.

Now Brextit is bighting them back and the wise polish people are returning
hope for some good family life.

How can I be this honest but I have to say that I had a cousin who not only voted
for Brexit but she also voted for Farage has no imagination, does not venture out
of UK and carries her brains in her boots.

I returned to live in the UK last May 2017…after living in France full time for 15 years.

I have not detected the slightest difference between the French and British work ethic. I see as many lazy Brits as I saw lazy French - and an equal number of hard working decent people in each country too.

I also witness the same amount of unease in both countries regarding immigration - not racism as such… perhaps a dislike of ones “culture” being irrevocably changed.

Interesting irony that the criticism aimed at the so called “pampered” unemployed invariably seems to come from the equally “pampered” retirees… same as it ever was!

3 Likes

Harry exactly…there is no underpinning here…

Interesting that you say that, Paul.

I have an open mind on this because I have no first hand experience of this aspect of either country, I’ve never in my life signed on for benefits or known anyone who lived on benefits. I read and see what the media chooses to tell, and I don’t know how much to believe - I take everything the media shoves at me with a pinch of salt. But for instance, in the video the British girls themselves were saying themselves that they found the work hard and they were impressed at the work ethic of the non-Brits. So do you think the whole scenario was a set-up, and they were specially chosen because the producer knew they’d find the work too difficult physically? Then there clearly is a non-British workforce doing the job, why would the employer have recruited them them if local Brits were queuing up? Why do so many people give out the same message if it’s not true? I’m not questioning what you say, I’m hoping you can help me understand.

I’ve never signed on in the UK but have done so in France. I work in the summer and claim the equivalent of job seekers allowance (ARE) in the winter. It’s very generous in France at 70% of your last salary (I believe there’s a maximum but it’s an enormous figure) whereas in the UK I believe it’s a fixed amount of about £73 a week for over 25s. I was encouraged to apply for it by Pole Emploi and have never been challenged by them to look for other work although I am constantly doing so in order to get something more permanent.

Some French people I know almost chose when they work. So many people are on CDDs that when the contract finishes they can almost decide whether to work or not. A couple I know worked for a year and then decided to take a year off. Their benefits were so generous they were able to take several holidays during that time. I think it’s got a bit tougher more recently but this was only a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Anna Watson… I think Mandy Davies’ excellent reply answers your question. I print below the actual Unemployment benefits “facts” from the UK - which are “OK” but certainly nothing as generous as provided by the French system…see what you think:

Unemployed people can Jobseeker’s Allowance, if they meet following conditions:

i.must be 18 years or over but below the state pension age;

ii.not in full time education;

iii.be available for work and actively seeking work

Only National Insurance Contributions paid by employees can qualify for these benefits. Contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance is paid for up to 182 days, if a person is unemployed, capable of and available for work, and is actively seeking work. The maximum weekly rate is £56.80 (age 16-24) and £71.70 (age 25 or over). Contribution based Job Seekers’ Allowance is paid only if the worker has paid enough class 01 national insurance contributions in the last 2 tax years.

I would imagine, though I don’t know for a fact, that French employers pay significantly higher contributions towards chômage than UK employers pay towards UB - fits in with the French putting much more weight on workers rights and social protection.

Self-employed don’t qualify for chômage/UB in either country though they are talking about bringing this in France. Obviously it will mean cotisations going up. The Fédération des Autoentrepreneurs sent a survey round about it before Christmas, there were three options - in favour, against, and it should be optional. I think in the end I voted ‘hould be optional’ although I might have voted against, because cotisations are high enough as it is, and I’ve always regarded running out of work/going to the wall as a calculated risk you take when you decided to go freelance. But I suppose it will eventually happen, it seems to be the way the wind’s blowing.

1 Like

Sorry, multiple new cars and 7 holidays in 2 years does not sound like being on benefits.

Maybe fiddling benefits and working or enjoying the proceeds of crime or quite possibly both, but not benefits alone.

BTW “child support” is not a benefit per-se.

Also benefits payments are currently supposed to be capped at £384.62 per week (a bit higher in London) for a couple either with or without kids (some payments don’t fall under the cap).

1 Like

Crikey…7 Holidays? Think I must of dropped a clanger working all those years and paying all that tax.

In every Country in the world, there are people who look down on the unemployed - as if it was a disease…one that we could eradicate if only the Government “cracked the whip” more frequently and we got rid of a few of those lazy so and so’s.

The latest figures issued in the UK inform us that 10% of the population own over 90% of the total wealth - and this following the longest period of austerity in many many years. Surely, there is something wrong with a system that creates that level of imbalance? (Incidentally, just like in France).

Anger would be better directed at some amongst those 10%… I’m not sure the bosses at Carillion deserve their £1.5 million bonus’ whilst possibly making thousands unemployed…but, of course, those unemployed will have it easy – especially those that go on to gain the lofty position of “long term unemployed”…it’ll be holidays all the way for them…those lazy Brits.

Time to talk figures.

How much do you think the UK paid out in unemployment benefits in 2017?

And here in France?

You’ll be shocked at the difference.

1 Like

I believe you’re right. My understanding is that employers pay enormous social charges and employees pay a fair amount as well. In total I pay 22% in social charges on my tiny income, although SMIC is fairly high in France which compensates for this. Plus, of course, social charges can be very high for the self-employed and are also payable on investment income (I believe). But you would probably know more about this than me.

Not arguing just sharing my personal experiences.

1 Like

Ooh this should be interesting. I imagine France pays massively more unemployment benefits mainly because the number of employed is about double that in the UK. I’m prepared to be shocked.

It seems to depend on whose figures one reads. And more importantly, which figures one takes into account. I’ve just had a browse on Google and have read diametrically opposing views.

So I’m not sure what the information will prove…one way or another.

Unemployment benefit is only half the story though. Probably less than half.

Would be more interesting to see the total amount paid out in benefits.