EU passports after 2020

I expect there has already been some debate re any ‘benefits’ of a EU passport for Brits beyond 2020. However I just read what to me seems an ambiguous item on the UK Gove website; viz

‘… Until 1 January 2021, you can continue to travel to Europe with your UK passport until it expires … if your passport is burgundy or has ‘European Union’ on the cover, you can continue to use it until it expires…. Provided you … have at least 6 months left on … (it) …. to travel to most countries in Europe …’

Does this mean that UK second home owners with a burgundy EU passport can till come and go to their holiday homes regardless, for as long as they wish, until 6 months before the expiry of their EU passport? In my case that means mid 2024.

Or does Brexit mean that even with my EU passport expiring at the end of 2024 , from 1 Jan 2020 I will need a CdS to stay in my holiday home longer than 6 months? But that at least my EU passport is just still valid?

After Brexit Brits will be allowed a maximum of 90 days in Schengen over a rolling 180 day period. For a longer visit they will need a visa.
That’s the EU rule. I don’t recall blue or burgundy pasdports being mentioned in the Withdrawal Agreement and I don’t think the EU cares one button what colour your passport ijappens to be if you’re British, you’re British.

No.

The best you can hope for is an extension to the transition period.

Or…

It was all just a bad dream - and you wake up and life can return to normal pre-Brexit and pre-Covid19.

1 Like

I think Bobbie is still in the shower… :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

No, it just means that there will be no requirement to renew your passport before its expiry date.

Without an additional visa you will be limited to Schengen rules - 90 days out of the previous 180 on a rolling basis.

Actually - how does Schengen work if you are a non-EU CdS holder, is one allowed to travel to ther Schengen countries for 90 days on top of living in France? Or does the residence in France “eat up” all your Schengen allowance?

… and Elvis hasn’t left the building :thinking:

1 Like

It’s left the building not room. :wink:

Your EU badged British Passport has never allowed you to stay in your holiday home in France more than six months if you are a UK resident. In fact it’s never allowed you stay more than three months at a time. If you are not a French resident you cannot apply for a CdS, owning a holiday home does not qualify you to have one.
One advantage of Brexit will be that, after the transition period, British nationals will be able to apply for long term visas to spend longer periods of time at their holiday homes than the current regulations allow.

1 Like

Not that they ever could. Technically, EU citizens visiting France are allowed to stay for up to 90 days per visit. But nobody checks.

If you have a residents permt, yes. That’s the position we’ll be in after Brexit if you have a cds to live in France. Not sure about the various visitor permits.

Remember also that from January next year (unless transition is extended) ALL Brits without a CdS will need ETIAS registration to come to France, even for a short holiday.

I didn’t think ETIAS was scheduled to become operational until 2023?

Oh - perhaps implementation has been put back? No doubt somebody here will know.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Post deleted - out of date info.

The goalposts seem to have changed since that document was published:

It is believed that the ETIAS will be operational in 2022 but, it won’t be mandatory till 2023.

I do wish organisations would take down superseded articles, grrrr. Now there’s an obligation that could usefully be introduced by the EU :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thanks Anna! It seems there are an infinite number of sites all with different dates! I’ve deleted my previous post.

This was not the direction I was hoping for; viz

*’… the (ETIAS) system is supposed to identify travelers that pose a security threat to the EU and prevent them from entering before they even show up at the border…’ *

Alec… I think perhaps… it is useless to be discussing (and maybe fretting) over what will or will not happen…

Everything is in a state of flux. Much better (in my opinion) to wait until things become calm… and matters re passports etc will be addressed/revisited by the government.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems an excellent scheme to me. Prior vetting can be carried out far more thoroughly than a border official could be expected to do on the spot. Why is it not the direction you were hoping for?

1 Like