Euro pet passport

Thanks for this information.

Hello,

I live in the UK but plan on travelling Europe (in and out the Schengen area) for a year. I think life will be easier if I get a French pet passport for my dog on arrival in France (she currently doesn’t have a pet passport at all and will be travelling to France on a AHC). Does anyone know if I need a fixed French address to get the French pet passport?

Thank you!

@hayley_davis Hi Haley,

I’m afraid I cannot answer your question, but if you contact I-cad they may be able to give you a definitive answer. https://www.i-cad.fr/

Although the vet knows us they never asked for any proof of address from us, we wrote down our name address and phone number to copy into the passport.
There is space for a change of address for later on if you need it.

We are UK resident with a dog and a holiday home in France. We can get a visa for us to stay for five months - as usual - but our dog can only stay for four months. If we could manage to get an EU Passport for him and we then return to the U.K. - how long could he stay in the U.K. using this EU passport? I ask as he’s only allowed four months in the EU?
I’ve contacted DEFRA but just get an automated reply saying they don’t advise etc. Realise he may need to have his rabies re-done (we do have the blood titre value) etc.
There’s absolutely no-one and nowhere to ask - the vets here only know re AHCs.
Any info much appreciated.

Our French vet left us with both passports so Dolly has dual passports, he said to use whichever was easiest with whichever country we were in, we had to get the rabies redone and titre test which only took 3 weeks to come through.

Colin
Many thanks for this.
Could you explain re Dolly having two passports as I thought the EU Passport for us was no longer valid? Does she come back to the U.K. for eg six months, then return to France for the next visit to stay for eg five months?
Really sorry if I’m complicating things!

The UK passport is OK going back into the UK, the New French EU passport is for coming back to France, the vet checked with I think it was the Ministry for Agriculture, Food, Fisheries and Rural Affaires and that was their advice to cover all the bases.

An animal health certificate cost me £465 for my 3 dogs - I’m getting an EU passport from our French vet for 12€ each. No need for another rabies vaccination as there’s are still current.

A lot of vets are not happy with the fact the rabies vaccination and titer test are not done by themselves or in France hence the reason for getting it done again, I am not sure whether this was part of the advice given to them or personal choice but most folks that I have spoke to that have went this way have had to get it done again.

Colin - you say the U.K. Passport s ok for returning back to U.K. - but there isn’t a passport anymore for U.K. dogs? Something I hadn’t thought of - do the vets in France give you a certificate now to show worming/statement of good health as there is no passport to sign? £475 is a heck of a lot to have to pay for three dogs - ours is charging £95 but I have been told some will charge £125 - ridiculous amount.
So you don’t have to be French resident to get one?

This suggest existing U.K. ones are still valid to return to the U.K.

You’ll need one of the following to enter Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) with a pet:

• a pet passport, if you’re travelling from a ‘Part 1’ listed country, or if it was issued in Great Britain before 1 January 2021

Kirstea
Gosh - I’m getting very confused now!
On the gov.uk website it states “the Pet Passport has now ceased to exist…you will now need to get an AHC from your vet”.
I was under the impression you get an AHC and use that to enter the EU - your vet will verify on this that all necessary vaccinations/regs have been completed so there will be no need for anything else?

I think it depends on your exact situation and what direction you are travelling.

I am french resident, but have an existing U.K. pet passport, so as I understand I can use that to go in the direction of FROM EU TO U.K., but not FROM U.K. TO EU. No new U.K. Passports will be issued, but existing ones will be valid to get INTO the U.K. only, assuming everything is up to date. If you don’t have an existing one you need one of the certificates. I had thought you’d need one whatever, but that link I just posted says “one of the following” so clearly suggests if you have a U.K. pet passport that will suffice.

TO get FROM the U.K. TO the EU you need either an EU issued Pet Passport OR a healthcare certificate (which obviously is the replacement for the U.K. Pet Passport) which will then cover you for both the outward journey and return, although you will still need the worm treatment at a vet before returning to the U.K. as was always the case.

Please do not take this as gospel, I have no knowledge or information more than you do, this is just how I have interpreted what I have just read now on gov.uk, I’m sure there are people on here with more information than I do who can tell you if I’ve entirely misunderstood the situation, but since you said you were very confused I have just tried to explain my interpretation, but I must say again this is only my best guess so don’t treat it as being correct.

As above, as for being a resident to get a EU pet passport it’s the animal getting the passport not you :wink: at no point did the vet ask if we were resident in France.

Pat - as Colin has said, British passport remains for entry into the UK, with the same worming requisite.
I’m not fluent in French by any means, but my vet is from Belgium and speaks brilliant English and is also a lovely person.
Unfortunately, the ladies on reception don’t speak English, so for enquires other than booking an appointment, I send by email.
Getting an eu passport will really cut out the hassle and limitations of the AHC, as well as the added expense.

First of all thank you so much to those who replied to me. Kristea -please don’t worry re taking everything you say as gospel - I won’t - I’m just grateful of any advice and info. - I always say the same to people I reply to! Imdid look and it does indeed say that the U.K. passport can be used for re-entry - but it says to dog owners in the UK “the Pet Passport has ceased to exist” …?? I think our plan will be to get an AHC and go to France for three months - while there we can see our vet and try and get an EU Passport. If we can’t get one we still have the AHC which we’ll have to get from UK anyway.
Thanks once again for all the advice - I do hope we can get an EU I will update as and when but I think by Sept those people who this topic will help will have their answers!
Colin, I am presuming you are U.K. resident …you don’t know anything about the Long Stay Visitor Visa do you??? :grinning::grinning:
Take care.

Nope I am afraid, I reside in France :wink:
There is no reason why you cannot get an EU passport once you are across here, as I said it’s your pet that is getting the passport not yourself.
The UK EU passport has ceased to be issued so yes it has ceased to exist as none can be issued after 31/12/2020, ones issued before that are still valid to get back into the UK and will last the lifetime of the pet. Chill.

Colin - thanks for that info.
Chill…yes I am …with a nice glass of red…santé! :wine_glass::pray: