European roots

Yes Seaman Stains was always a worrying concept.

Well I wasnā€™t around 4,600 years ago nor half a million years ago so Iā€™m unable to confirmā€¦Sitchin was a biblical scholarā€¦there was probably no one more surprised than him when he first began translating the Sumerian texts and found himself reading about ancient astronauts space ports and the first test tube babies in antiquityā€¦ :slight_smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zecharia_Sitchin Proponent of nonsense.

I think ā€œthe flat earthā€ is a psy-opā€¦and ā€œflat-earthersā€ seem waaaay too aggressive for my likingā€¦There are far more important concerns for Earth right now than arguing about what shape it isā€¦

Helenā€¦ surely there cannot be any argument about the shape of the earth ???

We all know it is roundishā€¦ donā€™t we ā€¦??:relaxed: no doubt about that !!

2 Likes

Bizarrely there has been a resurgence is people who believe the earth is flat. I believe Andrew Flintoff (ex cricketer) is the latest celebrity to ā€œcome outā€ as a flat earther. More about it here. Weird weird weird!!!

1 Like

Me and my sister loved the magic roundabout when we were littleā€¦only found out today that it was a French series firstā€¦ :slight_smile:

Ha ha Mandyā€¦ weirder and weirderā€¦ I reckon global warming has a lot to do with itā€¦ boils the brains a bitā€¦ perhapsā€¦:relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Fortunately, as Tim briefly alluded ā€œSeaman Stainesā€ was a myth.

The crew, apart from the good Captain Pugwash were Master Mate, Tom the cabin boy (most definitely not Roger) and pirates Barnabas and Willy.

OK, the last one might draw some sniggers from 11 year-olds.

The Guardian got into mildly warm water for suggesting otherwise.

Too funny Mandy !! Has anyone told Tim Peake ?? :-:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

1 Like

The red shoes? The goose girl? The little mermaid? Even all the Disneyfied ones? I donā€™t think they are sweet nice innocent stories at all.

There are all sorts of amusing results when you translate ancient texts, yonks ago I translated a poem from the ā€˜jahiliyyaā€™ age of ignorance ( meaning ignorance of Islam) which was written down in the 6th century although it is much older; it has the hero and heroine telephoning each other.
Shock horror you may say but actually the triliteral Arabic verb to telephone is literally ā€˜to speak without seeing one anotherā€™ - just as you do when one is in the tent and the other is outside it :grin:

3 Likes

Master Mate universally known as Master Bates though.

Yes, perhaps there is a lack of innocence in every story if we look hard enough to find it.

Wicked stepmother sending her little stepdaughter into the forest with a huntsman whose instructions are to kill her and cut out her heart and bring it back as proofā€¦ you donā€™t need to look very hard, Barbara!

2 Likes

Lolā€¦! Lost in translation or whatā€¦talk about ā€œlet us go down and confound the languagesā€ā€¦To my knowledge no phone apparatus has ever appeared in the archeological record as an OopArtā€¦(Although I have occasionally found one in the very depths of my fridgeā€¦) The Sumerian tablets are interesting but there are still thousands yet to be translatedā€¦lots of them are really boringā€¦stuff to do with accountsā€¦not sure if they were the first to also introduce commerceā€¦??? There appears to be only one queen mentioned in the king list and not much about herā€¦curiouser and curiouserā€¦x :smile:

Almost invariably commercial documents those fired tablets, occasionally letters - many tablets werenā€™t fired, so they didnā€™t last. Poetry was long epic and learnt by heart for public performance. al Mutanabbi could memorise a poem entirely after one hearing, and his servant could after two. He heard a poem one day at court which pleased him greatly and was a bit envious it got a very good reception, so he claimed he had written it himself. Go on then recite it the author said - so he did and then added oh and if you need extra proof even my servant knows it, cue servant reciting it: general triumph of al Mutanabbi.

I love poetryā€¦I had to look him upā€¦he seems to have spent some time with the Bedouinā€¦and in Aleppoā€¦and Egyptā€¦For some reason I always inwardly shudder at the mention of the book burnings in Ancient Greeceā€¦is all of it in any way comparable to the censorship currently being instigated by fb and twatter and the tubeā€¦Yesterday marked the anniversary of the Salem witchcraft trials March 1st 1692ā€¦I read something on here the other day about sage-femmesā€¦I instantly translated it as ā€œwise womanā€ā€¦went to google translate and it translated to French as midwifeā€¦Is there anything more sacred than pregnancy birth and motherhoodā€¦??? I had pre-eclampsia with child one and I remember an experienced midwife and lavenderā€¦full blown eclampsia with child two and and a premature delivery at my moms house on motherā€™s dayā€¦accompanied by multi organ failure and near death experienceā€¦advised no more children but 5 years later my son after a 16
week stay in hospitalā€¦Do we edge ever closer to the nature of our reality and our path to freedom with these discussionsā€¦I truly hope soā€¦

Yes that is one example.

But small children rarely take the evil notions in a fairy story
seriously or literally.

Itā€™s about the roots of the stories Barbara. You are obviously struggling to understand their significance so just forget it, enjoy them as you see them. There is no harm in that.

1 Like